You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

misterID wrote:

GNR isn't Led Zeppelin. Not even on the same level.

Aerosmith and AC/DC have cultivated a huge fanbase over the years that will buy their records, even if they're shit.

And I'm sorry, I don't see a 4 million selling album in the orginal line up. I don't even see them finishing an album, unless Slash rolled over and did everything Axl wanted, which is a possibility at this stage, but would it sound good? Axl really doesn't care about making "angry rock songs" anymore.

Black In Back is THE most overrated album ever. EVER.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Too drunk to read it all but I never want Gnr (the original band) to come back and release shit like Aerosmith and AC/DC do now. Aerosmith was done in 1977...Gnr was done in 1991. AC/DC was done with Back in Black. The Stones were done after Some Girls in 78...I would rather see Axl and the new guys forge their own path than be crushed by a shit "original" Gnr new studio album. That being said, I would like to see Axl and Slash do something together.

Bullshit 'ya drunk...

Perminate Vacation & Pump are two of Aerosmith's best albums, yet were born in the return.

Razor's Edge is one of AC/DC's best albums, and came out in 1990, years after Back In Black.

And the Stones were done with Exile...

I stand by my statement...and I am sober now. Exile was the Stones last masterpiece then they released 3 turds before returning with Some Girls...a GREAT record. After that, meh.:haha:

So, technically you could say Exile was it but Some Girls was their last gem and kinda came out of nowhere since the albums before it and after it sucked.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
war wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
war wrote:

i just see artistic direction and vision as a big part of what tore them apart. why would they, all of the sudden, be on the same page if they repaired their friendship. slash would definitely have to be the one doing more of the compromising if it were to work musically.

Artistic direction back in 1994 presuming both followed those directions they should have covered all they wanted to do in whatever genres they were interested in and at this point be coming full circle for a reunion

irrelevant. it's not about genres - it's about axl wanting to constantly try different things and slash wanting to stay grounded. slash would have to be willing to explore whatever crazy ideas axl had in mind at the time.

Couldn't they just find a middle ground? they were hardly the first band with vastly different musical ambitions amongst members. They could have turned that to their favour had they not let ego get in the way.
WEEC049.jpg

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:
misterID wrote:

GNR isn't Led Zeppelin. Not even on the same level.

Aerosmith and AC/DC have cultivated a huge fanbase over the years that will buy their records, even if they're shit.

And I'm sorry, I don't see a 4 million selling album in the orginal line up. I don't even see them finishing an album, unless Slash rolled over and did everything Axl wanted, which is a possibility at this stage, but would it sound good? Axl really doesn't care about making "angry rock songs" anymore.

Black In Back is THE most overrated album ever. EVER.

???? So whats I.R.S, Chinese Democracy Sorry, Shacklers Revenge,Scraped, Riad, Oh my God, There was a time, Damn even Better gets angry.
don't care what Axl says, what he does speaks volumes more  and he had at least 7 Angry fuckers of songs on CD

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
war wrote:

i just see artistic direction and vision as a big part of what tore them apart. why would they, all of the sudden, be on the same page if they repaired their friendship. slash would definitely have to be the one doing more of the compromising if it were to work musically.

Artistic direction back in 1994 presuming both followed those directions they should have covered all they wanted to do in whatever genres they were interested in and at this point be coming full circle for a reunion

irrelevant. it's not about genres - it's about axl wanting to constantly try different things and slash wanting to stay grounded. slash would have to be willing to explore whatever crazy ideas axl had in mind at the time.

Couple of points...Slash says in his book that the artistic direction thing was secondary to the late starts and cancelling gigs. Given that he's played with a bunch of pop stars, was 'ok' with myworld being on the album, and so on, I can imagine he would have been somewhat open to other styles when it became clear he had no other choice. Don't get me wrong - he does what he does - which is rock guitar - and i'm sure that's all he wants to do - and felt somewhat unneeded (and thus probably offended) when Axl wanted to go in alternate directions, but I think when push comes to shove he gave it a shot before outright leaving GNR...remember when he was back for like 2 weeks in 95 or soemthing, anyway, he's pretty much said he would in the past, but that the late starts, cancelation, and I suspect being demoted to employee status don't go down well with him.

But i agree with you that it would need to be mostly about what Axl wanted to do musically. However I also Stepvhen was onto something - they could come full circle musically. If Axl gets his industrial album done, and is done with that bucket-style sound. Some of suggested, I think it was slash, that Axl follows current music trends, so what if the trend went back to a classic sound? Seems that a lot of the bands of the past are getting a revival. Not to mention as people get older I'd guess they'd go back to their roots more and what they loved when younger...which for Axl is no doubt Elton John and Queen and so on, but there's prob a little bit of Judas Priest style rockers going on to. Obviously this is all speculation...and I can see what an artist doesnt want to make the same record over and over, and Axl wanted to branch out, while slash wanted to keep the band as a pure rock outfit...but I could also imagine Axl and Slash one day writing some more YCBM style songs...as they must have liked them for a reason back in the day.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

In madagas defence i've met other folks who feel the same about latter day aerosmith and Ac/Dc as he does. In fact it's common here in Melb for people to only like Bon Scott ac/dc.

Me personally I disagree, I pretty much like the Brain Era a lot more.....but i'm unsual.

I guess it's just one of those opinion things where everyone feels different.

But I think we all agree, that a reunion can't happen while they hate each other, and shouldn't happen for money. It would only be worth doing if they shared creative vision.

But I know sometimes when i hear a killer slash riff I do wish Axl could at least guest on a track or something. Like I can see maybe he doesnt want to sit down and do AFD 3 times over. But surely he has the odd angry thought that would suit a riff here and there. But I think the anger colors it all for everyone.

Like does Axl listen to VR and enjoy it musically because vocally it's inspired by beatles and a bunch of similar influences, or does he just think "fuck slash is a cunt". I wonder.

In public slash says he likes chinese as the perfect Axl style record and a work of genius...but I also wonder how easily they could listen to those songs and not think "we used to be in a band that ruled the world, then you made me an employee". I dunno...it's all so fucked up.

Stepvhen

Stepvhen wrote:

^^ Fuck it thats life, Were missing them but what can you do. The balls in their court and neither one of them ever took a single word from us seriously. What I find the most insane in this whole mess are the quiet musicians who don't get a look in in this mess. Tommys Village Gorilla head is one of the best albums Ive heard. Bumblefoots uncool is amazing. Population Overdrive. Neurotic Outsiders, Izzy and the Ju Ju hounds. It seems to be all about Axl and Slash in the history of GNR , when in reality some of the other guys have put out the better records !
Gorilla Head kills slash's new album and Normal Uncool and 9.11 all murder Chinese Democracy not to mention Electric Tears.

It's all about style over substance and celebrity culture I'm beginning to think.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its so easy to be social
its so easy to be cool
yeah its easy to be hungry
when you ain't got shit to lose
and I wish that I could help you
with what you hope to find
but I'm still out here waiting
watching reruns of my life
when you reach the point of breaking
ya know it's gonna take some time
to heal the broken memories
that another man would need
just to survive

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Realising your own mortality one day is a powerful thing.. Give it time and I think even Axl might budge a little..

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

btw, How is Spagetti not cool sounding?shit like Black Leather sounds fucking amazing...pretty tight sounding to me....if it wasn't covers that band could still have kicked some ass.

Board footer