You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Dj Ashba and Dizzy Reed: "We're working on a new album"

war wrote:

responses -

agree that spaghetti incident was tight - just not meant to be a huge seller.

slash didnt leave because of late starts - i don't care what he said in his book. it was the way they were approaching the band/music. axl wanted to explore and incorporate and he also wanted three guitar players. slash wanted to stay the same and probably was hurt by axl bringing in other players. i don't think it's a conincidence that he left shortly after axl started bringing people in like zack wilde.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
war wrote:

responses -

slash didnt leave because of late starts - i don't care what he said in his book. it was the way they were approaching the band/music. axl wanted to explore and incorporate and he also wanted three guitar players. slash wanted to stay the same and probably was hurt by axl bringing in other players. i don't think it's a conincidence that he left shortly after axl started bringing people in like zack wilde.

i_have_a_crab_hat.jpg

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:

Let's pretend that is the biggest reason why he left.  Can you blame him?  How would Axl have responded if the rest of the band wanted to bring in another singer?:/

war

war wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
war wrote:

responses -

http://yourargumentisinvalid.com/sites/ … ab_hat.jpg

lol

don't think so

war

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:

Let's pretend that is the biggest reason why he left.  Can you blame him?  How would Axl have responded if the rest of the band wanted to bring in another singer?:/

i don't blame him at all.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

I'd have jumped ship immediately after My World.

Sky Dog wrote:

The Slash/Axl argument is just pissing in the wind at this point.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I honestly think it's a bit of both.

Basicly slash wants to be in a straight up rock band, such as the bands he grew up loving, like aerosmith, and much like the AFD line up of GNR was. There is no doubting that, and that's also what he excells in.

He will however bend that to an extent, letting more ballads get into the mix, working with backup musicians, letting something like 'my world' onto the record, tollerating it when the synth was added to PC.

So i'd say he has a strong prefrence, but I doubt he'd actually quit over it. I think it was more that he doesn't have anything to add to an industrial project. I mean it's not what he does. Just as pavarotti wouldn't have had a whole lot to add to AFD. Wrong Genre.

I remember seeing an interview where slash said he had said to Axl "call me when you want to make a rock record" and thus a standoff was born, and unfortunately for slash, I don't think Axl is the type of guy who's going to give in to that kind of pressure.

Meanwhile there is the additional guitarists issue. And despite what people say, I don't think this was slash being threatened directly as much as it doesn't fit with his view of the band. Lets look at what it seems their view points could be.

It's seems Axl's always thought of GNR as wider than just the AFD lads, there's shannon, west, and a host of people that he's brought in for specific purposes. Some of these people are even given honary GNR status in the linear notes. As much as Axl has taken control of the band, the power and the business side of things, creatively, I think he's always been open to working with new people, and working with someone for a specific creative goal. If you could convince him that a donkey was needed for a track, he'd bring in a donkey to GNR. It doesn't matter, what matters is the end result musically, to make the track represent the ideas in his head,  and GNR is a wide and evolving beast that does that.

Contrast that with how slash views the band. It's 5 guys in a gang. To slash if I come in and play recorder on the album I'm not in GNR anymore than the kids who sing on "another brick in the wall" are members of pink floyd (royalty issues aside!). And while he's cool to play with other musicians as demonstrated from his solo career, every time someone else is brought in it kind of dilutes the rawness and the edge of his vision of a closeknitt street band. In some cases it's fun, but I think overall his viewpoint would be that additional players are for the most part unnecessary. 2 guitars, a bass, drums, a singer, a good dose of substance, a groopie sucking you off, and get out there and fucking rock. That's what it's about to slash. Other stuff is a distraction.

So i think there's a fundemental difference in approach.

Then you add in the specifics.

Slash views the band as this close family. His role in that family is the lead guitarist. And lets be honest, he probably and rightfully has some ego, he is after-all a founding member of GNR (or at least the line up that got anywhere), and recgonised world over as one of the best guitarists in the world. That's who he is, and he's just been on a several year tour none of us could dream of reinforcing those facts.

So then you get Sympathy for the Devil, Slash's tracks on the album get tampered with, no discussion, it's just done. Of course he gets mad. Not only has Axl brought in an outside guitarist to fuck with his solo, which is kind of disrespectful to slash's role in the band, but it's also a non-famous outside guy who slash happens to dislike. It was never going to go down well.

But it might have been forgiven, but then the idea of adding other people who would ursurp slash's role as lead guitarist on a perminant basis. Guys like Zakk. It's not that slash is afraid of Zakk. It's that to slash a band is a simple thing like aerosmith, and it has 1 lead guitarist, and that's his own role, sharing that with people isn't normal.

I'm going to make the worst analogy ever. And that's this. It's like a marriage.

o slash, the band is a closed group fighting the world together and kicking ass together because they go damn well. The music is like great sex daily. It's about the rock. But I think Axl is on a more nebulous mission, his approach is about making the best music and rock is secondary. It's more like he's on a mission to have the best orgasm ever rather than have a life of constant sex.

So to Axl, it's ok to bring someone else in to fullfill that. So he brings in Paul Huge. He felt huge could add something to the track that was missing. But to slash, this goes down about as well as you bringing a hooker home to add that little something that's missing from sex with your wife. It's not even so much about if it's better or not, the dude just doesn't belong in the process.

But you know...maybe a musical 3 some might have happened as a once off...But then axl starts talking about always having 2 lead guitarists....guys like Zakk. Now he's not bringing a hooker home for a one-off, he's talking about perminantly taking a second wife and polygamy!! It's just not part of the deal!

hahahah...ok worst post ever...I now know why the band says we're all full of shit on here!

But I do on some level think that's kind of the problem - I think basicly adding on to slash in the band for Axl was about an artist decision, but to slash was more hurtful and just didn't gell with his concept of a band.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

You lost me at orgasm.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Come on Buzz...nothing like a semi-questionably-homo-erotic GNR as a Sex analogy is there? 18:nervous::nervous::nervous:

What's interesting is what happened after this:

Slash in 1996 says between he Axl and Duff they have around 80 songs. That the business shit is sorted out now, that he and Axl sat down and had a meeting of the minds....and that he's going into rehersal next week.

I'd love to know what really went down and why they hate each other now, I think there's more to it than simple musical disagrements.

[youtube]byzSuiYxEe8&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]b5wTjY2ysDs&feature=related[/youtube]

Board footer