You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Dublin, Ireland - September 1, 2010 (The O2)

Never a quiet day with GNR (except from 94-01 and 02-06). They just covered the story on radio 1 and didn't paint the prettiest picture to be honest, not good coverage when you've still got shows to sell over here in a months time.

I think the lateness and bottles being thrown in general should be viewed as two seperate incidents. I can't speak for last night and those bottles maybe were thrown in anger due to the late start but in general I think bottles/items being thrown on stage isn't always done in anger. I've been to shows where there's not an angry face in the crowd and still bottles/cups get thrown around. I think for the most part it's done by dickheads who think they're being funny, trying to impress their mates or get some attention. Stupid and potentially dangerous yes but not necessarily in malice or anger at the performer. Trouble is I think Axl sees anything hard being thrown onstage (as opposed to say a flag) as a personal insult and an attempt to hurt him. Then of course if you factor in that you've done yourself no favours keeping the crowd waiting for so long, when you then tell them that they cannot do something it's not going to go over too well (Axl of all people should understand this), irrespective of whether they should be doing it in the first place.

johndivney wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I've been to shows where there's not an angry face in the crowd and still bottles/cups get thrown around. I think for the most part it's done by dickheads who think they're being funny, trying to impress their mates or get some attention. Stupid and potentially dangerous yes but not necessarily in malice or anger at the performer.

there definitely was some of this - some yahoo's thinking they were having 'the craic'.

but there was undoubtedly some people doing it thru malicious intent. the butch lesbo who was standing behind me was really really spiteful & bitter & was throwing anything she could find @ RON of all people. i told her to fuck off he was a cool guy but she just told me to fuck off and went on looking for things to throw. he's not slash people kept reminding me, and anyone else within earshot. ron just moved centrestage and never came back over.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

cupb.jpg

I think I can see the last of my hopes for a Glasgow date added to the UK tour flying through the air in this picture hmm

johndivney wrote:

a picture's worth a thousand words eh?
glasgow would bottle them off, no doubt.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said --

but did anyone think it was badass how that cup landed right when the Pyros went off? Like a bomb?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

johndivney wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
johndivney wrote:

if what that woman on the radio said was true about him freaking out in the car park, and i think it probably is, you gotta wonder about how healthy his mind is.

What was said on the radio? I missed this

she said after the walkout at the 4tus solo she was walking by one of the gates where you could see into where the tour bus was parked.
she saw axl there & he was cursing the crowd for throwing things & leaving. she said he was then squatting down with his head in his hands looking like he was really freaking out trying to hold it together.

Jeez. Poor guy. Y'know, I think he really does care, and that he just has the worst luck in the world when it comes to venues/road managers etc. But he does urgently need to sort out the behind-the-scenes goings-on. He claims he's being booked for gigs without his knowledge? This shouldn't be happening. He claims that he's being fucked over by promoters and they're taking him to pieces in the press? He needs to get himself a decent PR operation. Hell, I could think of a dozen good PRs who'd do a better job than whoever he has on the case now. If he's the injured party, he needs to get a hell of a lot better at communicating his message to the public.

elevendayempire

Conversely, I do think Axl has absolutely no grasp of the shit people go through to get to his shows. He rocks up and is all, "Hey, we're here to have a good time!" Not understanding that - as I said above - people have paid significant amounts for tickets, waited for hours, yomped miles to this inaccessible fucking venue, waited some more hours as the venue's closing time draws ever nearer, and when he turns up he doesn't even apologise or offer any explanation for the delay. No, it's the *crowd's* fault for not putting up with this shit…

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
faldor wrote:

One guy who threw a bottle at the stage is complaining about Axl being fat.  Complaining about what songs they played, the CD stuff.  The guy is defending his actions by saying that nobody threw a GLASS bottle.  Apparently he thinks it's alright to throw plastic bottles.  What dick!

Just when I thought I'd heard it all....

Strange though, how a topic like "being late" suddenly blossoms. Reading and Leeds are one thing, a stand alone show is another. Their lateness will never ever change. If you can't deal with it, or have problems discovering how to just play his game and show up an hour late (I've done so on both occations I've seen them), then I simply suggest people should stay home.

Axl have created a lot of trouble for himself over the years, but he's actually out there again playing shows. He even released an album. I am scared to death he will retract back now, this time for good. I think it's great having him around, creating madness. I love it to have GNR around, no matter the form, just being out there playing songs I like.

But as it is now, and all this negativity. Plenty of it valid too, it just seems to me that this negativity from the boards and the media, results in affairs like what we had in Dublin. Drunk people coming over to a show "to teach Axl a lesson". It's redicilous and does nothing good for those of us who actually have the brains to adapt to his schedule and have some fun. And I've had plenty of fun at both times I've seen them (even if my second review came off negative).

I don't think I've ever been more scared that this will now unravel, Axl back into hiding and no more music or fun. I won't be using a GNR forum ever again if that's the case, as there's nothing to talk about.

It saddens me, and it worries me.

elevendayempire

"The brains to adapt to his schedule"? Fuck that. If I pay €80 for a ticket (actually, I paid £130, plus the cost of the ferry and petrol to Dublin) I have a right to expect that the gig will proceed at something approximating a reasonable schedule. And I'm a fan of the band, one who knows about and understands Axl's preference for late starts. I talked to a lot of people while waiting for them to cone onstage, and 90% of them were casual concertgoers who had no idea who was in the band, much less that Axl tends to favour late starts.

On top of that, there's late and then there's late. Starting at 10:30pm in a venue whose license runs to 11:30pm, mere days after another gig has been cut short for overrunning AND OFFERING NEITHER AN EXPLANATION NOR AN APOLOGY is just unacceptable. It's unprofessional.

Now, I'm going to the Birmingham gig; I'm having to get transport to the venue and back from London on a Sunday; I have to go to work on Monday morning. I have to be able to plan this in advance, and not be subject to the whims of an overgrown adolescent who "just likes late starts".

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'd be gutted if that was to happen and I'm more than a little concerned about Axls mental state at the moment, the reports of him with his head in is hands is very upsetting.
But seriously, you think the whole world should just adapt to Axl?

Board footer