You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: from mister saint laurent

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you don't want to hear it don't download it. Pretty simple. Don't belabor how much you don't want to hear it. hmm

You´ve got to be kidding me. This is a topic in the main section and you´re suggesting unless we´re interested in it we shouldn´t comment? And on top of that some of us were called liers for saying we´re not interested in it and still you think we shouldn´t comment on it unless we´re excited to hear it?  Ummmm.......

You can say whatever you want. Just pointing out I get your point, so you don't have to keep reiterating it. You don't want to hear it. You're not interested and so on...

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I've always wanted to hear this - it's a glimpse into the direction Axl was going in 1999, it's a chance to hear a studio version of the band with Robin front-and-centre... and it's not "spoiling" unreleased songs from the Chinese Democracy sessions. What's not to like?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I've always wanted to hear this - it's a glimpse into the direction Axl was going in 1999, it's a chance to hear a studio version of the band with Robin front-and-centre... and it's not "spoiling" unreleased songs from the Chinese Democracy sessions. What's not to like?

That line-up, which was struggling with playing the classics, even 2-3 years later, although they had BH, too. Not to mention the obvious: the horrible SCOM BD-cover. That was the worst GN'R cover ever, and it was done by the band that had the same name. What a soulless, dumb and boring version. That song showed what prospects Axl had with that line-up: ZERO.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Naltav wrote:

As for new material, I would try my hardest not to listen to it. The next album will be that much cooler for me if everything is fresh!

This ^^

I will never listen to new Gn´R leaks ever again. I´m not a big fan of CD(I´ve never even bought it) but I´m quite certain a lot of that has to do with me being bored to death of the album before it was ever released. I have no expectations anymore, I´m not waiting for anything so if these guys ever do release a new album I´d go out and buy it and listen to it in full for the first time. Regardless of whether I liked it or not it would at least be fresh to my ears and interestng nonetheless.  When CD came out it was neither of those things so.....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Yeah I think more people would have loved CD if they'd not had the leaks. Think of the excitment and positive vibe that happened around the leaks - it's not that people didn't like the songs it's just a lot were burnt out when it all happened for real.

Although that said, I was glad to finally get a real version. Like some of them had worked their way into my life as some of my fav songs for years at that stage - if they'd stayed bootleg it would always be annoying to never have a properly mastered track if nothing else.

Sort of like how I sometimes wish their was a higher quality version of Crash Diet around cos axl's vocals on the boot sound cool.

So yeah...i think the leaks messed up the responce to the album, but I'm also glad the album did contain the leaks in the end.

So logically i'd avoid a second batch of leaks, but in reality my self control is not that good wink

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

That line-up, which was struggling with playing the classics, even 2-3 years later, although they had BH, too.

Really? They were struggling? That's just dumb-dumb talk...
You might not have liked it, but nobody was struggling with any of that material.

If I remember Kurt Loder's review of RIR3 correct, he wrote something like: "If you closed your eyes, you'd think you were back in LA in 1987"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^
In my opinion Robin was never able to play many of slash's solo's correctly.

For a while I thought he was choosing to alter them, which may have been the case some of the time, but there's places where it really seemed he just didn't have the chops.  Or maybe it's because his natural style is too different. In any event, he's a great player who plays some cool stuff on CD and in NIN - but he could not do the AFD songs justice to my ears.

Also, for reasons i'm not sure of Axl sang without the rasp for the bulk of that period....and the rasp is also rather critical to the traditional AFD sound.

Struggling may be a harsh word for it, but there's no question to me that the 87 band and the 2010 band are both superior to 1999.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Also, for reasons i'm not sure of Axl sang without the rasp for the bulk of that period....and the rasp is also rather critical to the traditional AFD sound.

I'm kinda with you on that one, but not to the point where it ruins it for me...
wink

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Just to point out the obvious: a lot of people never heard the leaks and didn't care for CD. I'll ignore the other comments in the thread to keep the peace. Carry on.

Precious time...
 Rep: 2 

monkeychow wrote:

^
In my opinion Robin was never able to play many of slash's solo's correctly.

For a while I thought he was choosing to alter them, which may have been the case some of the time, but there's places where it really seemed he just didn't have the chops.  Or maybe it's because his natural style is too different. In any event, he's a great player who plays some cool stuff on CD and in NIN - but he could not do the AFD songs justice to my ears.

Struggling may be a harsh word for it, but there's no question to me that the 87 band and the 2010 band are both superior to 1999.

I agree; Robin is not particularity suitable to the more Blues type stuff but his metal is great..like the bridge on Better. I think that is an iconic solo like Bucket's one on TWAT.

I guess the leaks may have helped push the release of CD...I just hope it dosent take all the time and pressure to get new stuff out! roll

Board footer