You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

Re: The year I learned how to stop caring and love the wait

elmir wrote:
sic. wrote:

the curse of Paul Tobias (resignation in every two years, starting from '02) is still going strong.

who quit in 06?

btw, great thread, good to see you back on form.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elmir wrote:
sic. wrote:

the curse of Paul Tobias (resignation in every two years, starting from '02) is still going strong.

who quit in 06?

btw, great thread, good to see you back on form.

Brain.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
russtcb wrote:
war wrote:

few things are more annyoing that a pitty party for a bunch of grownup men who made their own decision and entered into to a contract that has, to date, offered them lots of money and acclaim while still offering the oppurtunity to do their solo work in down times. those poor babies.

Not to be a dick, but we have no idea how much money any of these guys pull in from their tenor in GNR. And I don't know anyone outside of these boards who even know who's in the band so I don't see what acclaim they might be getting.

Having said that, I do agree with your point about not feeling bad for them. They chose this, there are all sorts of ways out of it if any of them see the need to be done with it.

i don't think you are bing a dick. you are right that we do not know much money the guys are making but you can speculate that it is more than they would be if they were not in gnr and more than any of us so, again, no need to cry for them. as far as acclaim, no they are not worlwide super stars atleast not until the album gets released and even then who knows. but, again, more acclaim than if they were not in gnr and they all seem to be doing pretty well with their solo careers since joining gnr.

Jameslofton wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I don't think these guys look at playing the old material as covers, they are playing GnR songs, its part of the gig... they knew this going into it.

I disagree. These guys were fed a ton of crap, especially during the first half of this wait. This wasn't supposed to be a nostalgia band.

Its not a complete nostalgia band.   They play 5-6 "new" songs per show, which if you look at the setlist for any other band with a long career, thats pretty normal.     These guys re-recorded AFD back in the late 90s, they knew what they were getting into. 

I agree with what you are saying WAR

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I don't think these guys look at playing the old material as covers, they are playing GnR songs, its part of the gig... they knew this going into it.

I disagree. These guys were fed a ton of crap, especially during the first half of this wait. This wasn't supposed to be a nostalgia band.

Its not a complete nostalgia band.   They play 5-6 "new" songs per show, which if you look at the setlist for any other band with a long career, thats pretty normal.     These guys re-recorded AFD back in the late 90s, they knew what they were getting into.

They play 3-6 new songs/night, and although GN'R have been existing for more than 20 years, they don't have a long career since the band released only 3 full albums, 1 shorter and a cover album. That's not much.

On the other hand Axl asid multiple times back in the day of the 'comeback' that the new guys didn't want to play the old songs.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
war wrote:
russtcb wrote:
war wrote:

few things are more annyoing that a pitty party for a bunch of grownup men who made their own decision and entered into to a contract that has, to date, offered them lots of money and acclaim while still offering the oppurtunity to do their solo work in down times. those poor babies.

Not to be a dick, but we have no idea how much money any of these guys pull in from their tenor in GNR. And I don't know anyone outside of these boards who even know who's in the band so I don't see what acclaim they might be getting.

Having said that, I do agree with your point about not feeling bad for them. They chose this, there are all sorts of ways out of it if any of them see the need to be done with it.

i don't think you are bing a dick. you are right that we do not know much money the guys are making but you can speculate that it is more than they would be if they were not in gnr and more than any of us so, again, no need to cry for them. as far as acclaim, no they are not worlwide super stars atleast not until the album gets released and even then who knows. but, again, more acclaim than if they were not in gnr and they all seem to be doing pretty well with their solo careers since joining gnr.

Exactly.  How many extra copies of Tommy's solo album did he sell just by being able to say he's in GNR.  Even if it was only just 1,000, that's a pretty descent extra amount for a small release like that.  Given, the Mat's do have a big cult/critical following, but that only does so much.  Plus, I'll bet the extra money that he has coming in from a GNR paycheck helped him have the freedom to get it done.

Sky Dog wrote:

Very true Jorge. Tommy's career was resurrected by Axl. He got his Perfect album out, his solo record, songs in movies and soundtracks, etc. Now, I just wish he would squeeze an album in with Westerberg while he is sitting on his ass waiting for Axl. Tommy seems very loyal so I don't think he will quit until the chinese democracy sessions are released.:mosh:

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Very true Jorge. Tommy's career was resurrected by Axl. He got his Perfect album out, his solo record, songs in movies and soundtracks, etc. Now, I just wish he would squeeze an album in with Westerberg while he is sitting on his ass waiting for Axl. Tommy seems very loyal so I don't think he will quit until the chinese democracy sessions are released.:mosh:

Right, I don't want to sound like I'm talking shit, because I do think all of these guys are talented, but I wouldn't have heard of most of them if they weren't involved in this. 

It sounds like an insult to say they're doing it for a paycheck, but frankly, most of them would probably be working straight jobs and doing music in their free time like the rest of us if it weren't for being with GNR.  Hell, a good chunk of them have admitted to not really being fans of the old band before this, that should say alot.

As good as Tommy is, he'd probably be selling insurance, gigging on weekends, and waiting on Westerberg without this.

There's no doubt in my mind I'd have never heard of Bumblefoot, and I could keep going that way for most of the current band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The aclaim they get is when GNR tours. It feels good to have people screaming at you when you play on stage. Yes most of them are there just for axl - but doesn't mean it wouldn't feel good to rip into a solo for thousands of fans!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
sic. wrote:

Axl throws a costume party every Halloween for friends and their families. Enormous pumpkins ring the swimming pool, and spider webs hang in the trees. Specially built mazes and forts rattle with squealing children. Almost as excited as a child, Axl himself has been known to dash around and toy with every attraction. One past guest gets the impression that Axl is trying to re-create his own childhood, albeit one better than his actually was. The Halloween scene in the past few years hasn't been what it once was. "His parties have been getting smaller and smaller," recalls one recent guest. "The ever-shrinking universe." - RS, 2000

that sounds a bit too close to whacko jacko to me 18

regardless an excellent thread, as for who is leaving next...well it all depends on whether this beast is gonna come to fruition or not...hell BBF and Frank may be leaving to let BH and Brain return....or maybe the lineup will remain intact afterall. we're just gonna have to wait and see....its the one thing that we positively know, that lies in store for GNR fans

Board footer