You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Axl's net worth...

Bono wrote:

I'm pretty sure I reada  few years back that U2 as a group are worth over a billion dollars so based off that alone Bono would be worth more than 200 million.  No fucking way Axl is worth the same as some of these guys. I believe Bono owns the something like 25% - 40% of Nirvana's catelogue as well or something like that. I don't really care but seems extremely unlikely to me that Axl would be even close to Bono let alone guys like McCartney.  I mean if AFD sells 10 000 copies a year it still not even remotely close to impacting this. U2 has sold an average of roughly 2 million albums per year this entire decade and we haven't even touched on touring revenue which U2 absolutely destroys Guns N' Roses in....   Anyways if that number is correct Axl's smarter than any of us give him credit for 16

johndivney wrote:

mccartney IS THAT rich. tthe sunday times rich list had him like 850mil a year or so ago. he's outta sight compared to any other rock star, inc jagger/richards.

200mil for uncle axle seems a little high but i wouldn't be at all shocked.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well I mean every time someone plays GNR on the radio the songwriters get paid. Think of every usage ever of Jungle, SCOM, PC and others and you'd have a lot of $.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Doesn't AFD sell at least 10,00+ copies every year?  I seem to recall seeing something like that a few years ago.  Add on that Axl seems to have invested well and gets the publishing stuff and I could see how he has a large net worth.  I think that number (277 million is the number I got) was a bit high though.

No, it wasn't 10'000 copies every year.

I think it was that Rolling Stone piece from around 1999-2000 that said something like: "AFD still sells 5000 copies every week."

That's around 250-260'000 copies every year. Sure, physical album-sales have gone down a lot in the last decade. But in the meantime, digital sales through iTunes have skyrocketed!

So combining income from album-sales and publishing, he prolly makes a lot of off AFD alone. Then you have UYI etc etc. So no doubt he is doing OK...
smile

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ I thought Axl sold his publishing rights to Sanctuary?

Personally I don't think Axl is anywhere near as wealthy as many people suggest. 

A cynic may also suggest that all the private shows that he has been doing on the current tour have been purely for financial reasons.  Sure they probably have fun at them and they are good money, but I look at the Russian one recently for an example.  I looked at the small crowd and the particular demographic that was there.  They seemed like the sort of people that a bad ass rocker wouldn't normally give the time of day to - the bourgeois I think Axl called them in a tweet.

This tweet/rant by Axl tells us what he really thinks of most of those private shows. 

This was hard comin' as all anyone bsides the band thinks about is the money. Who gives a fuck about the fans, how it sounds or if it fucks up the rest of the tour?! I don't perform for ANYONE in this industry n' no matter how nice, funny or what spin they put on things they're seemingly n' unfortunately all the same. We had a good show here in Sao Paulo n' a bunch of opportunists w/out my knowledge or consent did their best to make it about them b4 hand instead of the fans or there wouldn't have been shit in the Post but hey we got past 'em enough to do r gig. What's really crazy is these same types have the unmitigated gall to feel they're the ones who were taken advantage of!! Fuck the bourgeoisie!! Of course that's not to say there weren't plenty in attendance the other nite who like us got duped as well but the others well... It's not for them or their kind (or stalkers or press agents etc.) It's for u. Thank you Sao Paulo!! Peace, Axl-

If he feels that strongly about them, why do them, unless he badly needs the $$'s from them....

Don't get me wrong I dont' have a problem with Axl doing them and making good dollars off them. But I have wondered that perhas he really needs the dough!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Aussie wrote:

He did but I doubt that would be an outright sale.

Usually in a publishing deal the publisher gets a cut of royalities, something like 20-30% while the artist keeps the rest. The publisher justifies getting that percentage as in theory they get the songs published more than the artist would alone (ie, synced with movies, better mechanisms to collect from other publishing uses). And they also usually sweeten the deal by giving an artist an upfront sum of money as an advance on the income.

So it's likely that $20m or whatever it was the other year was just what they paid to become the publisher and get their cut, paid to axl as an advance over a certain number of years, it doesn't necessarily mean he no longer makes income from the songs as well.

I guess it's possible it was an outright sale, but we don't know that.

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Personally I don't think Axl is anywhere near as wealthy as many people suggest. 

A cynic may also suggest that all the private shows that he has been doing on the current tour have been purely for financial reasons.  Sure they probably have fun at them and they are good money, but I look at the Russian one recently for an example.  I looked at the small crowd and the particular demographic that was there.  They seemed like the sort of people that a bad ass rocker wouldn't normally give the time of day to - the bourgeois I think Axl called them in a tweet.

This tweet/rant by Axl tells us what he really thinks of most of those private shows. 

This was hard comin' as all anyone bsides the band thinks about is the money. Who gives a fuck about the fans, how it sounds or if it fucks up the rest of the tour?! I don't perform for ANYONE in this industry n' no matter how nice, funny or what spin they put on things they're seemingly n' unfortunately all the same. We had a good show here in Sao Paulo n' a bunch of opportunists w/out my knowledge or consent did their best to make it about them b4 hand instead of the fans or there wouldn't have been shit in the Post but hey we got past 'em enough to do r gig. What's really crazy is these same types have the unmitigated gall to feel they're the ones who were taken advantage of!! Fuck the bourgeoisie!! Of course that's not to say there weren't plenty in attendance the other nite who like us got duped as well but the others well... It's not for them or their kind (or stalkers or press agents etc.) It's for u. Thank you Sao Paulo!! Peace, Axl-

If he feels that strongly about them, why do them, unless he badly needs the $$'s from them....

Don't get me wrong I dont' have a problem with Axl doing them and making good dollars off them. But I have wondered that perhas he really needs the dough!

In some radio/internet interview, Bumblefoot made some wise-ass joke about Axl owing money. Don't remember wich interview, sorry!

But the conversation went something like:

Interviewer: "bla bla, well Axl has a lot of money bla bla bla..."

Bumblefoot (cuts him off!): "..or owes a lot of money! ha ha ha"

Then he quickly moves the conversation along...
smile

Thinking of how much of the CD-sessions came out of Axl's pocket, it wouldn't surprise me if he's in need of some $$$.

I have some mixed feelings on the private shows.
But maybe he sees it as a necessary evil to be able to get his art out there...?

But hopefully he won't go all Slash/DJ on our asses!

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Ahh I'm glad you posted that, coz I was scratching my head thinking I'm sure I read a few bits and pieces about Axl feeling the pinch financially, but couldn't recall any. 

Of course BBF could have been just joking but I got the impression there was some truth to some of the info.

I have wondered if we would have got the Aussie tour that's coming had the V8 supercars not thrown a million dollars (or whatever the figure was) for him to play at the Sydney event.  There were a few other "pay to play" sort of public dates (ignoring the private shows) that they have done around the world on the current tour too.  Wasn't the Sturgis gig one of those too?

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Ahh I'm glad you posted that, coz I was scratching my head thinking I'm sure I read a few bits and pieces about Axl feeling the pinch financially, but couldn't recall any. 

Of course BBF could have been just joking but I got the impression there was some truth to some of the info.

I have wondered if we would have got the Aussie tour that's coming had the V8 supercars not thrown a million dollars (or whatever the figure was) for him to play at the Sydney event.  There were a few other "pay to play" sort of public dates (ignoring the private shows) that they have done around the world on the current tour too.  Wasn't the Sturgis gig one of those too?

I think one of the festival dates on the Northern-Europe leg of the tour in May/June came about that way. They got a shitload of money to do one show and prolly figured: "Shit, while we're here, lets do some more shows in this God-forsaken part of Europe!"

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe Axl's playing these dates to fund suing the ass out of Live Nation wink

To be honest, I don't see the romance in the "band doesn't get paid" situation. I mean obviously no one wants the money to override the art either, but clearly axl isn't all about money or he'd have taken a reunion years ago and just demanded seperate spaces from the others. But that said, I don't see why he needs to be doing it hard up in order to get some kind of artistic street cred either.

If these shows pay him well. I don't see the harm. Axl having money increasing the odds of him self funding future GNR projects - be they tours, albums or whatever, and every show, whatever it's context is another potential chance for fans to see the band, be it live, or via the youtube stuff we get from some of the more private gigs.

So I see it all as really positive, it's good to see the band out doing stuff, and if someone wants to pay them a bucketload to peform in their backyard, it's win win for everyone.

Board footer