You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Monkeychow's GNR Roadtrip Experience

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I'm no DJ fan but the bashing is getting a little old...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so you didnt say much about DJ...what were your thoughts of him in a live setting?

Yeah I didn't talk with him for long backstage because when we met he told me he was dead tired (it was late, post show, and I gather he'd had a few big nights in a row!) and so I was trying to be respectful of the fact that he's human and not follow him around like a puppy hanging off him (which you know I gladly would with GNR people lol). Not that he was rude or anything like that, he still made an effort to meet people and pose for photos and stuff - just I tried to cut him some slack and I knew he was about to get mobbed by the female fans lol.

So anyway, my thoughts of him live....I think he's just what GNR needed.

My view is this....say Robin, I respect that he wanted to do his own thing with the material, and had a unique style (which I think worked great on the CD songs) and it won over some fans...like Russ. However, to me, maybe because I'm an amateur guitarist, changing some of those lead phrases was like changing to words would be. You're sort of singing along in your head and then it's just not right. Given that Slash was such a iconic player that his absence was already going to be felt, I always felt what Robin did - while cool in it's own way - really added to that sense of absence. In a way it was cool to not be trying to be slash - but in another it was just confusing musically.

For the most part DJ plays the AFD era tracks much closer to the studio versions, which in my opinion is what the average punter wants to hear.

Also, when he does change it up, in terms of personal touches and little flourishes, I really like the style DJ adds to the solos. Thats going to be a "your results may vary" type opinion I guess. But for example he played something, I think it was the outro in better, and it had all the key parts of the melody but also had a little shreddy kind of awesome part.

Anyways, I can see that's going to be one of those personal things, and I can see why to a guy like Russ DJ doesn't play Robin's stuff the way he might like it, just as Robin didn't do what I'd like with Slash's parts. But to me DJ is kind of the perfect blend of Slash/Robin (and also his own feel) given the world we live in now where like there's a mix of CD and AFD tracks in the set.

Stage presence wise too he seemed great. Puts on a classic rock peformance, and does a lot of old school vintage GNR type stuff like run along the crowd fences. At our show he actually started climbing up along the rails toward the balcony part of the area at one stage...and those sorts of antics add a lot of energy to the peformance and provides a nice counter point to Axl's intensity etc.

So for me he's a good mix. Obviously those who know me know that in addition to my love of Chinese Democracy, i'm also a massive Slash fan - and of course he isn't slash and as bumble said that time - only clapton sounds like clapton etc -  there's something personal about the guitar. But I feel he does a good job of finding that balance between being respectful to the classic GNR legacy, while also working with the guys to bring it forward and create a new sound and the give off that exciting vibe you get from the new band. So yeah...to answer your question about him - I was quite happy.

While historically I've been a little confused by the 3 guitar approach, they really had such fine musicianship as a group the other night that it really worked. DJ was doing the slash bits the way you want them done, bumble had his usual expected level of shredtastic goodness, and richard was kind of the surprise - pulling out a lot of tastey stonsey fills and stuff. To be honest - guitar wise I was impressed by the three of them - made me realise I have some work to do!

Neemo wrote:

where were your seats? if you were in GA then where did you stand?

Normally I go GA cos I'm addicted to getting close to the bands and so on. It's always a dilemma because up front it's punishing physically, you have to line for hours and often get squashed and hurt at shows. But then the close vantage point is so much more intense than being at the back in a stadium.

Anyway so i normally go GA but in this instance I got seats cos I went on the roadtrip with a female friend of mine who isn't as hardcore a GNR fan as me (And I'm already dragging ger 1600km lol) and she gets pretty stressed by big crowds as it is and what pusehd me over the edge was the korn factor. Not that korn is ultra hardcore, but I figured their music was more open to slamdancing/moshing than some opening acts would be. So i started having visions of her getting crushed/hurt and fainting during korn and not making it to GNR, especially if it was a late start etc.

Neemo wrote:

Highlights from the gig?

It's so hard to say it was just one of those great nights. As i mentioned earlier - i really enjoyed KOHD although going in i would have said I didnt want it in the set! But Axl sounded great and richards solo was awesome.

Likewise, although i understand why some people want more GNR and less solos, I also have to say i thought some of the solo spots were uber cool too. Richards bond theme kicks ass, and ron's pink panther has some frightening tapping shit in the middle!!

In the same way the band jams between songs really showed you how musical these guys are, and how well they play together. Pretty into it.

Nighttrain still kicks ass...doesn't matter how many times you hear it...it's a great song - and the format works well with 3 guitars now.

"This I love" was very well done too, Axl sounds so great on that. It's such an emotional song and also a highlight!

Neemo wrote:

what did you think of Ron's doubleneck? I think it looks prett awesome myself...and seeing him play live is out of this world, hes inhuman in his guitar skills

Yeah it's a monster that thing!!! Yeah I dunno how Ron does what he does, inhuman is a good word for it. It all looks so effortless for him too....lol.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Thanks for a great post, Monkey!

Glad you had a blast!!  22

Board footer