You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: COREY TAYLOR: "I Guess It Just Wasn't Working Working For SLASH"

buzzsaw wrote:

There are exceptions, but many of the people that really appreciate Slash seem to be musicians and specifically guitar players.  Many of the people that don't...well, they aren't.  They are hung up on baisc chords and lyrics.  I don't even listen to that the first time I listen to a song.  They don't see what Slash adds to the songs - the Estranged posts above illustrate this perfectly.  People listen to songs differently, and as a result, there are different things that turn them on or off to the music.  That is what makes these great discussions 20 years later.  Nobody is wrong, they just hear different things when they listen to a song.

I would probably enjoy an instrumental version of UYI more than the actual album.  I think the songs are that beautiful and the band is amazing given their state of sobriety.

Sky Dog wrote:

Even I don't underestimate Slash's importance to the Gnr brand...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Actually this conversation made me realize how awesome and important Izzy was. Izzy and Axl were the main songwriters, they could tell someone how the song should play out and how to format and structure it. But Izzy could actually DO it, more so than Axl. Like SCOM. Izzy was very important to that song in structure and vibe. Then Axl's killer melodies and lyrics. It would not be the song it is without Izzy. I can't believe it started out as a joke riff that Slash didn't take serious and hated for years. It's amazing that song came out of that.

And look at Coma, Slash brought in the 'idea' for that song and Axl turned it into a masterpiece. It could easily have turned into a forgettable song that no one ever thinks about. Anyone other than Axl could have made a mess out of it or popped out some mediocre cock rock tune on Snakepit.

This isn't a slight against Slash, but I think songs like SCOM and Coma are examples about how important Axl and Izzy are. You could say they're actually Slash songs in their origins, but the songs themselves prove what geniuses Axl and Izzy are. Does that make any sense? 16

You could make the case that Duff was as important as Slash, seeing the parts of songs Duff brought to the band that ended up being great songs. But Slash's solos and riffs are extremely important and are a huge part of what made them great. I think Slash had a tougher job than Duff, because he's right out front in the band, and outside Axl, the center of attention and he killed it. I think that says how important Slash's role was. I'm sure bass players will kill me for that 16

Estranged is pretty set in stone in it's greatness, it's hard to imagine a change to it. But I get what Axlin is saying. It's like TIL: I think it's perfect as is, and I can't say Slash could bring something better to it, because Robin's solo moves me that much. It's the highlight of the song. I dig it so much I can't place some imaginary scenerio with how it could be better with or without someone else.

I wish Slash had someone who presented him with an Estranged. A song he hates, but he's pushed to play on it and be great.

I know I'm sounding like a homer, but I think Axl is in a far, far, far better place right now with the guys he has around him, presenting him songs or ideas that he can turn into kick ass music, than Slash does right now. I don't think Slash has anyone around him him who can bring in a kick ass song he can write around. And that's my biggest problem with Slash, because he's not challenging himself with someone like Corey.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Not really to add anything lol but I completely agree with ID on TIL, Robins solo might not technically be brilliant but the emotion he captures is stunning, thats the sound of a broken heart right there.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And i'm the same guy who thinks Estranged, piano-only is amazing, and that This I Love should've been 'all orchestra, no guitar, or low mixed guitar'.

Buzz made an amazing post. Nobody is wrong here. People hear what they hear. Alot of people hear Slash's amazing lead. Alot of people hear Izzy's amazing rhythm. I on the other hand, especially with the UYI & CD material, i'm always hearing Axl or Dizzy's piano or Chris' synth. I can't help it. For whatever reason, my ears will tune in quicker to a piano/keyboard first, before a guitar, and usually that's what subconsciously, i'll immediately judge a song's merits on.

Now as for Slash's writing... an acquired taste I guess, no different than Izzy. I just side with Mr. Isabelle. But I can definitely see & hear where people think alot of Axl's vocals added to Slash's solo songs would make them sound like GN'R songs.

I remember when the Deluxe Edition of Slash's solo album came out, and there was an acoustic Fall To Pieces on there that was A-MAZ-ING, and I remember hearing Myles high-pitched vocals and just trying to imagine Axl's vocals on it, and then getting it and thinking "holy shit, this song would be all time". The chorus at least would be. The rest is shit and would need to be re-written (thx Scott).

I also want to say, that I was never undervaluing Slash's contribution to G N' R. I was basing my statements on Slash's solo output, post-1991, which is a mixed bag to me. For example, I think Five O'Clock is pretty decent, but Ain't Life Grand sucks. Contraband is good, but Libertad blows. Slash 2010 is half amazing, half forgettable. jmho.

Slash in GN'R, no different than Axl, Izzy & Duff... they all are the FUCKING MAN as a cohesive, living breathing entity. They all bring exactly to the table what needs to be to make it work. I just feel Bucket was worthy to replacing Slash, and Tommy was to replacing Duff. But in terms of who Axl recruited for rhythm, and Slash recruited for vocals... technically... Axl & Izzy were the irreplacable ones.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just feel Bucket was worthy to replacing Slash, and Tommy was to replacing Duff.

Where is the evidence in either case?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Both of these opening songs are better than Chinese Democracy-the song (they don't own it, but they are superior)...

[youtube]pisC4BcAPwQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And this song... if you're not a fan of this... check your rock fan card at the door.

This song gives There Was A Time a run for "best post 1991 song"

Words can't describe how much I love this song 11

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just feel Bucket was worthy to replacing Slash, and Tommy was to replacing Duff.

Where is the evidence in either case?

Bucket (solos)

Bucket (soul/feel)

Bucket (recorded during his tenure with Guns)

Bucket (live)

Tommy (co-writer)

[youtube]cmiP7mmmJ7Q&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

Tommy (doin' his thang, feat. Dizzy & Richie)

Tommy (live)

Tommy (Duff moment)

Not a bad fuckin' moment anywhere in there.

Board footer