You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: COREY TAYLOR: "I Guess It Just Wasn't Working Working For SLASH"

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bucket didn't write TWAT, he just added guitar work and the solo. That was Robin, Paul and Dizzy. The original version Bucket isn't even on the song, same as IRS.

I think Axlin did a good job of showing his point. Again, it's coming down to taste. And your basing your judgement on Slash's GN'R albums against Bucket on CD. There are some amazing moments on CD from Bucket and Robin and Tommy.

Why wouldn't I base it on Slash's work in GN'R? FFS, you're talking about someone replacing the guy IN GN'R. 16

That's not what I'm saying. You're comparing Slash with AFD, LIES, UYI 1&2 and TSI? against Bucket on CD. And even there, it says a lot that his TWAT solo ranks up there with GN'Rs greatest solos, and the impact he had with his limited time in the band.

Bucket was a monster and was carving his own path. There was no walking in anyones footsteps trying to recreate something. That's impressive.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bucket didn't write TWAT, he just added guitar work and the solo. That was Robin, Paul and Dizzy. The original version Bucket isn't even on the song, same as IRS.

I think Axlin did a good job of showing his point. Again, it's coming down to taste. And your basing your judgement on Slash's GN'R albums against Bucket on CD. There are some amazing moments on CD from Bucket and Robin and Tommy.

Why wouldn't I base it on Slash's work in GN'R? FFS, you're talking about someone replacing the guy IN GN'R. 16

True, but not in that fashion. You're unfairly biasing the field. Anytime I counter with something from the new era guys that's solid, you pull out a GN'R song and say "see, it's not as good". Well of course it's not. I could have a track of Buckethead double fucking Angelina Jolie & Jessica Biel, and having them cum on his mask... but if you turn around and throw up Paradise City against that - it can't win.

This is about Slash & Duff post-1991 versus Bucket & Tommy post-1991. I have heard from both sides, songs that were worthy of GN'R-greatness. Just that equality, means Bucket & Tommy were capable and worthy replacements, and that Slash & Duff were replaceable, once again, BASED ON THEIR POST-GUNS OUTPUT NOT THEIR GN'R CATALOG WORK.

Taking a song from 1987 and holding it up in the air to again and again and again proclaim someone's greatness.... well I guess El DeBarge is the greatest fucking singer of all time then.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's not what I'm saying. You're comparing Slash with AFD, LIES, UYI 1&2 and TSI? against Bucket on CD. And even there, it says a lot that his TWAT solo ranks rght up there with GN'Rs greatest solos and the impact he had with his limited time in the band.

Bucket was a monster and was carving his own path. There was no walking in anyones footsteps trying to recreate something. That's impressive.

Limited time in the band? He was in there for 4 fuckin' years. Set aside GN'R Lies or the UYI albums for a moment. Appetite alone has way more memorable guitar work from Slash in just those 12 songs (created in two years) than anything Bucket came up with in his 4 years. Says it all IMHO.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Bull dude, Axl could have a wealth of Bucket shit no one has heard. Bucket's material is unheard because Axl hoardes it.

It's not the same situation.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

True, but not in that fashion. You're unfairly biasing the field. Anytime I counter with something from the new era guys that's solid, you pull out a GN'R song and say "see, it's not as good". Well of course it's not. I could have a track of Buckethead double fucking Angelina Jolie & Jessica Biel, and having them cum on his mask... but if you turn around and throw up Paradise City against that - it can't win.

This is about Slash & Duff post-1991 versus Bucket & Tommy post-1991. I have heard from both sides, songs that were worthy of GN'R-greatness. Just that equality, means Bucket & Tommy were capable and worthy replacements, and that Slash & Duff were replaceable, once again, BASED ON THEIR POST-GUNS OUTPUT NOT THEIR GN'R CATALOG WORK.

Taking a song from 1987 and holding it up in the air to again and again and again proclaim someone's greatness.... well I guess El DeBarge is the greatest fucking singer of all time then.

All you keep doing is pointing out the obvious, that Slash and Duff are a fuckload better when they have the likes of Axl/Izzy inspiring them. Wouldn't the same hold true of Bucket and Tommy? The only apples to apples comparison is putting Axl with both sets of musicians. The earlier dudes win every fucking time. Like you said, take an amazing song but throw PC at it and that's all she wrote. 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

What you're asking for is absolutely impossible. You're setting these guys up to fail. Axl could have the ghost of Jimi Hendrix on lead and re-animate vintage John Deacon on bass and they can't recreate a Jungle or SCOM.

You've had a quarter of a century to listen to these songs and absorb them, and feel them and love them and hate them and love them again, and think they're stupid and think they're brilliant.

You can't do it man. You just can't do it. It's not fair. Even Slash or Duff couldn't write PC or Easy today. They're not even under the same environment or life circumstances. Jerry Cantrell can't write about drug-induced suicide too much anymore in 2011.

That's why you gotta compare modern output to modern output. Post-1991 Slash & Duff versus post-1991 Bucket & Tommy.... now you've got a horse race.

And honestly dude, there's alot of fucking people that thought The Replacements were a FAR better band in the 80's than Guns N' Roses. I happen to think they're fuckin' Tab cola lovin' hipster douche bags... but yeah, they exist.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

What you're asking for is absolutely impossible. You're setting these guys up to fail. Axl could have the ghost of Jimi Hendrix on lead and re-animate vintage John Deacon on bass and they can't recreate a Jungle or SCOM.

You've had a quarter of a century to listen to these songs and absorb them, and feel them and love them and hate them and love them again, and think they're stupid and think they're brilliant.

You can't do it man. You just can't do it. It's not fair. Even Slash or Duff couldn't write PC or Easy today. They're not even under the same environment or life circumstances. Jerry Cantrell can't write about drug-induced suicide too much anymore in 2011.

That's why you gotta compare modern output to modern output. Post-1991 Slash & Duff versus post-1991 Bucket & Tommy.... now you've got a horse race.

And honestly dude, there's alot of fucking people that thought The Replacements were a FAR better band in the 80's than Guns N' Roses. I happen to think they're fuckin' Tab cola lovin' hipster douche bags... but yeah, they exist.

And there's a lot of fucking people that think GN'R is a hair metal band. They're idiots, plain and simple. As for your point about not being able to re-create the magic, that's precisely why the band name shouldn't be used on what amounts to a solo project. Part of the mystigue of Guns N' Roses was the fact that they became the most popular hard rock band on the planet and then imploded just as quickly as they took over the world.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

That's not what I'm saying. You're comparing Slash with AFD, LIES, UYI 1&2 and TSI? against Bucket on CD. And even there, it says a lot that his TWAT solo ranks rght up there with GN'Rs greatest solos and the impact he had with his limited time in the band.

Limited time in the band? He was in there for 4 fuckin' years. Set aside GN'R Lies or the UYI albums for a moment. Appetite alone has way more memorable guitar work from Slash in just those 12 songs (created in two years) than anything Bucket came up with in his 4 years. Says it all IMHO.

1 album in those 4 years. And the original band couldn't duplicate AFD again. That was one of those once in a lifetime Albums.

CD isn't trying to be AFD, it stands on its own as this weird masterpiece (that's imo) where AFD was a straight ahead R&R album. Plus, I think TWAT, Better, Prostitute, ITW are right up there with the best of AFD. Even Sorry should be in that argument, even though they aren't Axl's best lyrics, the music is fucking fantastic.

I just don't agree with you here.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

CD isn't trying to be AFD, it stands on its own as this weird masterpiece (that's imo) where AFD was a straight ahead R&R album. Plus, I think TWAT, Better, Prostitute, ITW are right up there with the best of AFD. Even Sorry should be in that argument, even though they aren't Axl's best lyrics, the music is fucking fantastic.

Those are all very good songs. However, the only one up there with the best of AFD for me would be TWAT.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And that's my biggest problem with Slash, because he's not challenging himself with someone like Corey.

I think Slash sees Corey for what he is - a nu-metal singer, with no soul.
To say he doesn't wanna go down that path is not challenging himself, I don't agree.

I know I don't really want him fronting VR either. When I saw Stone Sour live, the guy was a douche. He has even less charisma than Myles, and just came off as meathead try-hard metal guy.

Board footer