You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: COREY TAYLOR: "I Guess It Just Wasn't Working Working For SLASH"

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

1 album in those 4 years. And the original band couldn't duplicate AFD again. That was one of those once in a lifetime Albums.

Maybe they couldn't recreate another AFD, but they certainly upped the ante though on UYI.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

They could easily re-create UYI in 2011. In alot of ways they all locked there, and stayed, despite so many thinking it was the wrong direction (meaning the band members themselves).

Axl's still making UYI ballads so much to a point it's his calling card, Slash is still doing UYI-style rockers (Ghost, Back From Cali...), Izzy's been doing Dust N' Bones & 14 Years for two decades, and Duff's solo stuff sounds alot like So Fine & his TSI covers.

I have always felt that the true finale to the GN'R legacy should be a reunion that sees them cut a final record (possibly double-length) that tells the story of them coming full circle and dealing with their fame, their history, and ultimately humbled acceptance of conquering it all. AFD & Lies was about scrapping and being hungry, UYI was about their new-found superstar fame, and whatever the finale is should be about the closure and resolution to all of that. imho

And I have a feeling, if, when, and hopefully sooner rather than later that it happens - it'll probably sound ALOT like UYI III (or IV) depending on how you view CD. Because that's all they pretty much have been doing and sticking with for years.

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just feel Bucket was worthy to replacing Slash, and Tommy was to replacing Duff.

Where is the evidence in either case?

I think quality wise both sets are equal to each other. Both "replacements" were very worthy of the job. I would also say Brain was worthy of the job. However, the rest of the guys aren't in the same league. Now that Bucket and Brain are gone, meh.

That being said and considering hindsight is 20-20, I wish Axl would have never called that band Gnr. Being an old school fan and having to survive all the crap over the last 10 years, Duff/Izzy/Slash just fit better with Axl (especially for the brand Gnr and the style of music they play).....just as Slash wouldn't work well in Praxis and Duff wouldn't work as well in The Replacements. It doesn't mean one musician is better than the other and record sales don't mean shit in this discussion. We are talking art here.

Gnr, like Zeppelin and now U2, was just too big to gut and start over....too much passion for the original band. When you have 2 icons like Page/Plant or Rose/Slash or Bono/Edge, once one is gone, it is over in the public's eye.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Great post....

The thing is there's talent, and then there's compatibility for purpose.

A guy like buckhead is clearly amazingly talented. Hell, just listen to Soothsayer. It's fucking incredible. Handsdown one of the best guitarists on the world. But does that mean he's the fit for GNR? There's nothing on AFD or UYI that makes me hear it and think that's buckets style. Not that he can't play it. But guitarwiseGNR was a straight out blues rock band...stones/queen/zep/aerosmith..big guitar lines...iconic lead singer...while bucket is advante guard guitarist, a virtuoso, usually plays instrumentals - known for extreme shredding speeds, for adding in random samples - wild varience in styles and song structures - he's sort of ADD in his guitar playing in an absolutely kickass way. Not saying anything bad about him - but I'm saying - it was always a bizzare odd marriage in a traditional rock band like GNR.

And i think that's the thing. Axl wasn't seeking to just replace slash IMO. He was clearly planning an entirely different style of music for GNR. More industrial - more experimental - very much outside the old GNR mold.

As it turned out I think we have a hybrid of an album. As i've said in other threads - I believe most of the songs on CD would be at home on a UYI if you account for the changes in players/recording techniques etc. But songs like Catcher to me are at heart companions to songs like Breakdown. Of course there's lots thats different about CD too. Dozens of peformers, layers and layers of sound, digital edits, samples etc.

Anyway...my point is I dont think Axl wanted to simply replace slash, it seemed the new GNR was always destined to be something new. Which in some ways does make me wonder why keep the name. But he said it felt right to him. So there you have it really.

I also agree with Metalex above when he says that Corey isn't the guy who would have been challanging slash.

To be honest I don't but the theory people have about slash being lazy and needing to be pushed out of his blues rock mode. That's what VR was...scott trying to make slash into a grunge player. So you get songs like Spay - which are fun and all - but a complete waste of slash's abilities.

To me the real problem with slash is he just hasn't found a lead singer on par with Axl...and there's very few of those around.

Meanwhile i think Axl's blessing is his curse. He now has control of GNR. Which means creatively he can do whatever he wants to achieve his vision for the songs which must be awesome. But now he also wears the responsibility for the instruments he doesnt play too. Which has to suck a little. Take paradise city. Who decided that solo goes how it does? I'm guessing slash - sure the guys prob added an opinion and stuff - but at the end of the day it's sort of up to Slash to play the tar and Axl to sing and steven to drum etc.

But what happens if Axl has a paradise city 2 in the vault. How is the outro decided? Well...lets see...he gets in paul/richard/robin/buckhead/bumblefoot/DJ ashba (and that's without other randoms that might guest like his guitar instructers or brian may) to play multiple takes each...god knows how many...then Axl has to painstakingly pick or choose which version or which parts of which versions more likely to put it all together...so maybe he likes the melody robin played, but likes the added interest bucket does with a tap run, but wants ashba's feel and so on. It's no wonder nothing happens very often in GnR. Then after that's done - guess what - buck also stops with Axl for touring/merch/publisghing and fuck knows what else business shit. It's got to suck and be awesome at the same time. It gives him control, it protects him, in theory it allows his visions to be uncorrupted...but it's also a fucking curse.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

They could easily re-create UYI in 2011. In alot of ways they all locked there, and stayed, despite so many thinking it was the wrong direction (meaning the band members themselves).

Axl's still making UYI ballads so much to a point it's his calling card, Slash is still doing UYI-style rockers (Ghost, Back From Cali...), Izzy's been doing Dust N' Bones & 14 Years for two decades, and Duff's solo stuff sounds alot like So Fine & his TSI covers.

I have always felt that the true finale to the GN'R legacy should be a reunion that sees them cut a final record (possibly double-length) that tells the story of them coming full circle and dealing with their fame, their history, and ultimately humbled acceptance of conquering it all. AFD & Lies was about scrapping and being hungry, UYI was about their new-found superstar fame, and whatever the finale is should be about the closure and resolution to all of that. imho

And I have a feeling, if, when, and hopefully sooner rather than later that it happens - it'll probably sound ALOT like UYI III (or IV) depending on how you view CD. Because that's all they pretty much have been doing and sticking with for years.

Have you listened to Izzy's 2010 album? There are some seriously kickass tunes on there, harder rock than the likes of DNB or 14Y.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wave of Heat? I've only heard a few trx, and loved what I heard. I've yet to really dig into it.

I've got it on the hard drive. All this Izzy love in the last couple of days... i'm gonna dig back into it.

I seriously just cannot understand someone who finds Izzy's solo stuff boring. This guy is the only old GN'R band member to consistently stay the fucking man since 1987. Without EVER selling out mind you. Love it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This guy is the only old GN'R band member to consistently stay the fucking man since 1987. Without EVER selling out mind you. Love it.

I do have an issue that I tend to love everything...but to me so have Axl and Slash big_smile

Not saying every single song slash does is gold, but if you take the Snakepits, the VR, the Solo Stuff and some of the guest spots, and add it all together...there's some fucking impressive songs and guitar. And I had a full listen to Chinese again the other day...and I honestly beleive Axl's work is still amazing despite all the politics.

As for the Izzy love....he's proabbly great and I should dig into more of his solo stuff...I think it's just that alone I don't necessarily enjoy him as much, same with duff - even though they're on fire still - just because their solo genres are not as much akin to my listening habits.

What I mean is:

I feel like each member of old GNR had a particular effect:

Axl: epicness, heartache, anger, queen and elton john sounds.

Slash: sleaze riffs, emotive guitar solos, interweaving guitars, blues, Aerosmith style sounds.

Izzy: classic rock, country, folk and roots. Dylan and Stones sounds.

Duff: Punk, Punk, Punk rock. Sex pistols, ramones etc.

Steven: 70s and 80s rock. Alice, sleazy swinging drums.

So you add ALL of that shit together and you get GNR.

So in terms of solo stuff...I think it depends which of those elements you prefer to listen to in isoltation.

For my personal taste, I prefer things with a lot of guitars, or massive vocals, and I don't listen to a lot of older rock or punk.

You can see this in the songs too. So on UYI I prefer "Novermber Rain", a "Perfect Crime", and a "You Could be Mine" to "So Fine" and "You Aint the First" as the mix of each members influence on each track is sort of obvious. likewise I'd sooner listen to snakepit or chinese democracy than I will to loaded or Izzy. Not cos loaded or izzy are in any way bad - just their style when removed from Axl or Slash is different to my taste.

To me GNR is like a chocloate cake. One of them is sugar. One is coco. One is the flower. Whatever the fuck else goes in a cake. lol. So like you can like them all together, and they all need to be there to make the cake. And some of them you might like alone (chocloate or sugar maybe) but you don't necessarily want to have every component isolated and eat it. 

To me something like Slash is the chocolate - I can listen to it alone - but something like Duff  is more like flower or baking powder. It 100% needed to be in there to form the GNR cake - but I'm not rushing out with a spoon to listen to it alone. I tried to get into loaded but it's just not my thing. But I love duff's punk vibe when he plays with slash in GNR/VR. Go figure.

But that's just prefrence. There's no doubt people on here with the reverse...who find Izzy to be the seperable parts and stuff like snakepit unpalitable alone.

Each of them is amazingly talented then and now I'm sure. It's just that when you single out their solo works you tend to be isolating one part of the 5 sounds and styles that made old GNR. And then it comes down to what styles of music we each prefer when seperated.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Great post monk. The only thing I wholeheartedly disagree with is Axl & Slash being on the same "didn't sellout" wavelength.

There's no friggin' way that's true.

Axl sold out just on image alone. Football jersey's, hip hop running pants and cornrows... seriously?

Slash has been a sellout since Black & White and Give In To Me with Michael Jackson.

With stuff like that under their belt, there's no way you can compare them to someone like Izzy. This guy is real bonafide rock n' roll spirit.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Axl sold out just on image alone. Football jersey's, hip hop running pants and cornrows... seriously?

Forget that stuff for a minute. He sold out by continuing to use the GN'R name for a band that wasn't really GN'R. And he did it so he could make a bunch of cash touring on said name. But you are of course correct that he sold out by attempting to be "hip" with the ridiculous corn row/sports jersey nonsense and trying to copy the NIN sound. Slash has been a sellout for many, many years as well. The fact that he actually made a song with Fergie is embarrassing enough, but the fact that he allowed her to butcher SCOM in front of a billion people at the Super Bowl just takes the cake for "biggest sellout ever." 16

Board footer