You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

James wrote:

I remember that interview but think there was another one where he also ripped into Baker and others. Madagas or sic, gotta link to that?

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I remember that interview but think there was another one where he also ripped into Baker and others. Madagas or sic, gotta link to that?

Yes, there was the  Bass Player April 2009 interview.  He didn't say anything about the songs being a mess, the reporter who did the interview/wrote the article said, "Listening to Chinese Democracy, you can almost hear the last ten years in pastiche, as moments of singer / songwriter introspection co-mingle with down-tempo electronica and aggressive industrial grooves. Tune into Tommy and you'll hear a similar patchwork of influences: the melodicism of Paul McCartney, the confident swagger of ex-Guns bassist Duff McKagan, and the total tonal awareness of too many studio greats to name. "

http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=2066

Ali

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, Tommy really isn't saying anything new or anything that we haven't said... He's not saying the album is awful.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, Tommy really isn't saying anything new or anything that we haven't said... He's not saying the album is awful.

Exactly, and very simply, my point.  It may be a subtle point to some, but to me there are very different connotations for the words "dense" or "mish-mash" or "layered instrumentation" and the word "mess".

Ali

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Correct.  He'd get fired for saying mess.  So he said it without saying it.  dense and mish-mash = mess.

Sky Dog wrote:

Knowing what background Tommy came from, I would lean to the side of he thinks it is a mess due to the delays and added layers. Like I said, Tommy probably thought the record was done in 2001-2002.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

Knowing what background Tommy came from, I would lean to the side of he thinks it is a mess due to the delays and added layers. Like I said, Tommy probably thought the record was done in 2001-2002.

Exactly, and this may sound crazy, but Axl might even agree with him on that front.  It sounds like WAY too many people got involved and slowed down the process.  It was far from Axl alone taking his sweet time to finish the record.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

you are grasping at straws dude. His tone would indicate that he is less than impressed with the final outcome.
get off the nut swing and call it for what it is.

Sky Dog wrote:

new tommy quote

And GNR: "We have dates in October, November, and then I'm still waiting to get the 411 on what will happen next year. I think the next thing is really going to have to be someone trying to organize a record and getting it together. I think there's a really good band there to do it. But, you know, the thought of it is more daunting than a 'Mats or a Soul Asylum record combined."

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

sounds like Tommy won't be gagged. Props to him.

Board footer