You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Correct.  He'd get fired for saying mess.  So he said it without saying it.  dense and mish-mash = mess.

Again, your interpretation.  I don't agree at all.  He said in 2009 it turned out "great" and "right".  The record was out by then, so unless he explicitly says otherwise, there is no reason to think he's changed his tune.  Unless, you're a mindreader, your claim is just your interpretation.

As Mister ID said, "You guys are now telling people to read between the lines of what he's saying, instead of what he's saying."

I'll leave it at that since that sums it up perfectly from my perspective.

Ali

You can leave it wherever you want.  One person agrees with your assessment (kind of).  Nobody else does.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I for one, admittedly don't have a great ear for music.  I honestly don't find much of a difference between the demos and the album versions.  The song structures are the same.  I know I've heard people say they like the demos better, and that's all well and good.  I just think if you REALLY liked the demo, there wasn't enough of a difference to hate the finished product, and vice versa.  That's just me though.  Obviously, others could feel differently, and have said as much.

Point being, there are those who think the demos were better.  There are those like me, who don't find much of a difference.  There may even be a small fraction who find the album versions much better.  But I think we can all agree that there certainly is no reason that the album should've taken so long to release after comparing the demos vs. the finished product. 

And back to the topic at hand, that was the basis of Tommy's point.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

On his new album: "It's a little more rootsy than the last record, and more upbeat. I did most of it over the last couple years, piecemeal between Guns N' Roses tours. I just work on it when I can. Hopefully, I'll move quicker now. One of the goals of moving up here to Hudson was to have my own place with my own studio."

Interesting. That's pretty much how Duff recorded Believe In Me and I love that album.

I just think if you REALLY liked the demo, there wasn't enough of a difference to hate the finished product, and vice versa.

Better kicked ass in 2006 but was virtually noise pollution in 2008. Just one example but the best one when people discuss the differences between demos/the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Tommy clearly states the album is a mess, without actually saying that.

My two cents

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
misterID wrote:

And faldor is far from a nutswinger, so don't even try and start that shit.

Yeah, my mail was directed at Ali. I was too make that clear at the time. PM'd an apology to Faldor.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Intercourse wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, my mail was directed at Ali. I was too make that clear at the time. PM'd an apology to Faldor.

No problem.  Though I do agree with Ali in this instance.  Tommy is/was clearly frustrated with the making of Chinese Democracy.  Who wasn't?  He's speaking out about that.  The whole process was a giant mess, and he clearly doesn't believe the final product in 2008 was worth wasting 7 years or so on tweaking.  It's simple as that, to me.

One fact that people don't seem to be noting, didn't we think this whole time that Axl was a main reason for the delays?  I mean, it's still possible that he did have a huge hand in them, and I don't doubt it.  BUT, Tommy isn't saying that here.  He's clearly putting the blame on Jimmy Iovine and the various producers.  Now of course, even if Axl was the driving force, I doubt Tommy would come out and say that.  But I think it's fair to say that Axl wasn't as much of a villain in this whole saga as we once believed.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh I never thought ever that Tommy blamed Axl. Tommy has ran down the whole deal, from Geffen to Interscope to Universal to Jimmy, etc.

He blames CD's clusterfuck on all the hands in the cookie jar.

If anything, he actually vindicates Axl by supporting what Axl's been saying for YEARS, that trying to make CD and put a new GN'R out there has been a fucking nightmare of epic proportions.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Intercourse wrote:
misterID wrote:

Well, I don't think I'd sling that accusation at Ali, either. Look, we have guys here who jump on any good story about someone saying something cool about Axl, GNR, CD, or any members comment about how great someone thinks CD is and procede to turn the thread into a huge bitchfest about the same old arguments, done at nauseam, and they get totally bent out of shape when they're called a troll, or slashite, or bitter, for it. I'm not doing that anymore. It'd be cool if, for once, if we could lay off the "nutswinger" shit because someone doesn't share your opinion. You decide to believe one thing, doesn't mean everyone has to agree with that.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Ali's a swinger dude.  I'll cut a lot of people slack these days, but she's clinging and won't let go.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

My two cents...

Axl mentioned issues with the label more than once. Pay attention to how diplomatically he worded it in 2001, as opposed to the full-on assault on Universal after the album launch.

R&P: We know that Chinese Democracy will be released in June, but we wanted to know what the reasons are for taking so long before releasing the album?

Axl: We hadn't written songs or recorded for many years. There were band changes and there were many changes in the record company. People in the record company had many opinions and they wanted to make the best possible record. Every time that we thought that we had the correct songs, then somebody thought that we could make it better. We started over, we continued adding songs, continued recording and recording.

- http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … ticleid=38

To provide context, GnR was THE biggest artist of the 90s at Geffen, hands down. The company had gone through a tumultuous latter half of the decade, and everybody was hoping CD would come out and be a UYI level hit, which would improve their overall financial situation. This is why Axl got a blank check to do anything he wanted... until they realized that another blues-based rock album simply wasn't in the cards.

Also, Tommy has suggested many times the songs, as such, had been completed to a degree for a while.

"We did most of the music as a total collaborative effort a while back, most of the music was recorded four years ago. In the last seven years, in the last four years, [between 1998-2001]  it's been pretty much done. [...] It's been through a couple of producers' hands, some have been good, some have been bad." (Tommy, Rhinocast, 01/16/06)"

Axl has two-three albums worth of material, sure. But Universal had a hard time accepting this is what he wanted to release and a lot of money went into polishing turds and making well-honed songs sound incoherent. On one end, you have Axl with his insecurities, on another, a desperate label, dying to have him deliver a hit.

No wonder these things take forever.

Board footer