You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Guitarist DJ ASHBA: I Have No Reason To Kiss Axl Rose's Ass

Aussie wrote:

Don't think this interview had been posted anywhere:

Rustyn Rose of Metalholic.com recently conducted an interview with GUNS N' ROSES/SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba. You can now listen to the chat in two parts below. A couple of excerpts from the interview follow.

On whether Axl Rose is receptive to songwriting ideas from the rest of the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES:

Ashba: "Axl definitely is open to writing with the band. I know [former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] Robin Finck helped him write 'Better' [from 'Chinese Democracy'], the single that was out. I know a lot of the guys had a lot of input on the album. He's always been really open. I've worked with a lot of talented people, but this guy, I'm telling you, he has songs up his sleeve that I've sat down at the piano with him, and literally, my jaw hits the piano bench. He has a lot of songs up his sleeve. Obviously, I'm in the band, and I have no reason to kiss his ass, I'm just kind of putting it out as it is. The guy is just fucking incredible. The songs that he has that no one's heard… I pray to God one day people get to hear what he has up his sleeve, because me being a fan for one, but the shit is just awesome. And I can't wait to get in and work on some stuff with him. And I know he's really excited to get in a room, too, so I think us together, we're gonna do a lot of damage. And this band he's put together is just incredible musicians — I mean, top-notch players. He definitely put together an amazing band and he has, like, three albums' worth of shit up his sleeve that's just gonna floor people. I'm really excited about it. And I've been writing around the clock, constantly sending him songs, too. So it's good; it's really good."

On when fans can expect to hear a new GUNS N' ROSES album:

Ashba: "Well, it won't be 15 years, I promise you. [Laughs] The thing about Axl, and what I do respect about him, he doesn't give a fuck about, like, if a label person is trying to hurry him for a record. The one thing is, he is the real deal, he is a true artist — he will not release a record until he knows in his heart it's ready. And that's exactly how we are with SIXX: A.M. — we won't turn a record in… It doesn't matter if it takes five years. And it doesn't really matter to us if it doesn't sell a record, because when you're doing something from a very true place and you're being true to yourself, none of that matters, really. At the end of the day, you just wanna leave a song here that you're gonna be proud of long after you're gone. So if you go into that mindframe and not, 'OK, this sounds like a hit.' Or 'We've gotta change this to sound more like this band because they're doing really good.' It's not real. So the one thing, whether you like 'Chinese' or hate it, it's real. And it definitely is a very brilliant artistic record. I think it's an amazing record. Will the next one take as long? No. I mean, what people don't realize is 'Chinese' didn't take 15 years. He literally has, like, four albums' worth of… I mean, he has tons and tons of songs. So whenever he feels like, OK, this is what he wants to release next… It's his call, it's his vision, so I'm just here to do whatever I can to bring that vision to life for him, or with him."

In addition to Ashba and sole original member Axl Rose (vocals), the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES includes guitarists Ron Thal and Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman and drummer Frank Ferrer.

Ashba joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck.

Part 1:

[youtube]KXc3q-QQ11c&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Part 2:

[youtube]6Vdbt3zSYtI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

http://metalholic.co/dj-ashba-of-sixxa- … l-erosion/

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=159585

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

please, please dj, just shut UP

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

I've worked with a lot of talented people, but this guy, I'm telling you, he has songs up his sleeve that I've sat down at the piano with him, and literally, my jaw hits the piano bench.

He has a lot of songs up his sleeve.

The guy is just fucking incredible.

The songs that he has that no one's heard… I pray to God one day people get to hear what he has up his sleeve, because me being a fan for one, but the shit is just awesome.

he has, like, three albums' worth of shit up his sleeve that's just gonna floor people.

Sebastian Ashba?   16   

19  Sorry had to do that.  Well I think it's a positive thing that Axl is still even showing people like Ashba other stuff he has up his sleeve.  Hopefully it means he still has intentions of doing something with all this other material.  One can only hope!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This whole thing was already posted in the DJ thread a few threads below this one.

And umm, the most significant thing to come from it is that DJ admits that he just sends Axl songs. He hasn't even been in the same room with him and recorded, and certaintly none of the rest of the band.

In other words, he admits NOTHING is happening and NOTHING is moving forward, despite saying to the contrary for the last couple of months that THEY were working on the new record which was TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I'm not shocked, but I think it lends even more credit in that he was exaggerating the truth (I call it lying) in order to "sell more swag".

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

He is 1000% times more pathetic that robin finck

Aussie

Aussie wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This whole thing was already posted in the DJ thread a few threads below this one.

Ok didn't see that.  I had a quick look in the thread before posting it but didnt' see it.  That said I gotta admit to not having read all of that thread or most of the others in the GNR section for that matter.  I have been checking all "off topic" sections first when coming to the board then possibly poking my nose in here.  If I see the same threads as last time I often don't click on them again as it's usually the same old stuff, e.g. I figured it was still discussion about his bar fight in that other thread.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love you people, but can you not see everything suggests he is telling the truth?

If he sounds like Baz...perhaps that's because they both heard the same type of things. How many seperate people have to befriend Axl and be played multiple unreleased tracks before people around here can accept that they exist?

If you think about it, it would actually be more unlikely that Axl Rose while largely spending 15 or so years away from public life only wrote 14 songs. I mean music seems to have always been one of his major hobbies and emotional releases. So he got off the UYI tour and just quit all musical activity for the first time in his life and just watched TV for 10 years? Unlikely. It's blatent from the testomonials of multiple people that there's multiple unfinished songs that have been recorded in the previous CD sessions but not finished. I also think it's incredibly likely that Axl has other tunes and songs in his head that he hasn't spent the time recording yet.

Axlin08 wrote:

And umm, the most significant thing to come from it is that DJ admits that he just sends Axl songs. He hasn't even been in the same room with him and recorded, and certaintly none of the rest of the band.

But what about the CD process ever sounded to you like they get together and jam it out as a band. That's more like what they do in rehersals for a tour. It sounds to me like every stage of the recording process last time was individuals submitting hundreds of takes/solos/riffs/amp selections of riffs/etc  on protools to Axl, then Axl and his editors going through it all and compiling a finished song.

We also know bumble has already done this process on songs that have not yet been released. Bottom line is - there is ZERO reason for the full band to meet and record at this stage - as there's at least an albums worth of near-finished material that probably only needs DJ/Digital Tinkering going on.

We also know DJ records primarily with Eleven and other plugins and has a home studio that he uses to do this process for Sixx:Am and exchange data with the guys in that band.

It's therefore very likely that DJ in adition to sending new song ideas to Axl could actually contribute any additions he was asked to make to the existing tracks entirely via digital means. I dont think he needs to be in the same room with Axl and the guys. He just plays his heart out and sends it to Axl and axl will pick and choose what bits work and what doesn't. Then at some stage they talk about it and record more or whatever. By all accounts I've read that seems to be how it was done with Bucket, Ron and everyone else.

I know DJ works the media alot to promote his swag and whatever else and some of you guys don't like that, and if we're realistic, this is Axl's project and it comes out when Axl decides it's ready - which could be in 3 months time or 30 years - I don't know - so maybe something happens and maybe it doesn't.

But to me everything suggests that DJ is telling 100% truth about this, and that he is infact contributing songs and song ideas or parts  to Axl for inclusion on future GNR projects.

If you look at the Chinese proceass, at Dj's recording processes and all other availiable info about how this band works - there is nothing at all to suggest he  is lying - and all anacdotal evidence from others (baz etc) actually supports the primary claims of this interview.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

I don't see why it is so hard to believe that Axl has been tinkering around with some stuff that Ashba is legitimately impressed with.  If you have ever read Lonn Friend's book, he talks about Axl playing him "November Rain" for the first time and his reaction read similar to DJ's.  In fact, having listened to the interview with DJ, he sounds quite genuine in his enthusiasm. 

I also agree that there is no reason to doubt that DJ is sending Axl ideas for songs.  Some of those may strike a chord with Axl and the whole band will be involved in the further writing and development of that song.

Ali

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Guys I have no doubt Axl has at least 3 albums worth of material as well as possibly shitloads of other bits and pieces he has been working with.  I also am fairly confident that there is some good stuff amongst what he has.  So when guys like Ashba and Bach hear bits and pieces and they find it "mind blowing" or whatever other adjectives they use, I find that believable too.

I probably would gush too if given the chance to hear it, if Axl only had the confidence to release it or finish it or whatever the deal is.

I was just having a laugh with how similar the two dudes have been sounding regarding Axl's vault.   19

Board footer