You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: 'Bring Bucket back to GNR' Facebook Group

misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:

I kind of agree with buzzsaw.  While I did enjoy what Bucket brought to GNR and would be interested in hearing more, I don't think he was a perfect fit.  He obviously works on a much different level than Axl.  There's no way they could ever meet a middle ground.  Axl releases an album every 10 years, Bucket every 10 months.  So in a way, it could've been a great matchup, but in the end, I think they're better off doing their own thing.

Going by that, Axl fits absolutely nobody. wink

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bucket was wasted in GNR. He could have put out 6 of his own albums in the time he was with Axl. And Axl didn't know how to use him and maybe even held him back.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I disagree with that completely, seeing that Bucket was not only still releasing solo projects but was also still doing solo shows and working with Less Claypool and others during his time in GN'R. Axl didn't hamper Bucket at all, and actually gave him free range in the studio. Just the fact Axl brought him in, and the work he did on TWAT, R&B, IRS, Prostitute, not to mention working with Chris on ITW and Robin on Better, along with his own songs he did with GN'R (SR, Scraped, Sorry) Axl knew exactly what to do with him.

I won't argue that Axl sitting on his ass, tinkering endlessly with the album and every other reason he didn't want to put the album out, definitely hurt his relationship with Bucket, and also Brain and Robin, which made them have to leave. But artistically, I don't see any evidence that Axl held anyone back in the band.

I'm very interested in what else Bucket brought to the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Are you serious Misser?

Just the fact alone that any of these guys ever spent anytime at all in the band Guns N' Roses is given fact Axl Rose held them back.

Bout the only guys that don't apply to is Tracii Guns, Ole Beich & Rob Gardner who could suck epicly all on their own, they didn't need Axl's help.

misterID

misterID wrote:

How is that? They all did, and are still doing their own thing. Again, I don't see where Axl held them back at all. Wasted time and opportunity as a band? There's an argument... But Axl didn't hinder anyone from doing anything on their own. IMO, these guys did some fantastic work together.

I'd also say Tommy is a lot better off because of Axl and being in GN'R. As is Richard and Chris. Creatively and finacially. Tommy specifically benefited from Axl's help in his solo work and bank account. GN'R brought Bucket to a much bigger audiance and expanded his fanbase. I'm one of those. Robin was allowed to write his own songs for the first time. Don't see how Axl held them back or stopped them from writing one song or making one album on their own.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Bucket was wasted in GNR. He could have put out 6 of his own albums in the time he was with Axl. And Axl didn't know how to use him and maybe even held him back.

misterID wrote:

I disagree with that completely, seeing that Bucket was not only still releasing solo projects but was also still doing solo shows and working with Less Claypool and others during his time in GN'R.

You reinforced Bri's point. While Axl was twiddling his thumbs, Bucket was releasing killer solo material and some of it was light years above what wound up on CD.

Since Axl did virtually nothing the previous decade, it was near pointless to bring someone like him in the fold.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Again, I don't see how it held him back when he was making those kick ass albums. And I don't think it was pointless for anyone involved, seeing the contributions Bucket gave to GN'R and the big spotlight that was shined on Bucket for being in GN'R.

If we're talking about being held back musically, then I definitely disagree. The TWAT solo alone was worth the price of admission.

Axl and GN'R have been held back by Axl, not Bucket or any other band members. No one was adversley affected by Axl other than Axl.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I don't think Axl really holds anyone back - other than the amount of time GNR takes to do things sometimes representing an opportunity cost for GNR itself.

But from most accounts Axl set up most of these dudes in a studio with the tracks and got them to play hundrededs of takes over them. And no one prevented bucket from also doing his own stuff at the same time.

What i'd be interested to know is if songs like Notthingam Lace that I think (could be wrong) from around the same era were ever presented to GNR - or if bucket was really just brought in to solo over paul huge's tracks etc.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:

How is that? They all did, and are still doing their own thing. Again, I don't see where Axl held them back at all. Wasted time and opportunity as a band? There's an argument... But Axl didn't hinder anyone from doing anything on their own. IMO, these guys did some fantastic work together.

I'd also say Tommy is a lot better off because of Axl and being in GN'R. As is Richard and Chris. Creatively and finacially. Tommy specifically benefited from Axl's help in his solo work and bank account. GN'R brought Bucket to a much bigger audiance and expanded his fanbase. I'm one of those. Robin was allowed to write his own songs for the first time. Don't see how Axl held them back or stopped them from writing one song or making one album on their own.

Depends on how you see it.

Being in a "band", and not releasing more than ONE album in a DECADE, because ONE guy basically sandbags the whole process, not only do I call it "dickish", but I also call it "holding back".

That's why it's not a 'band'. It's Axl Rose solo. Looking at it in that respect is the only thing that vindicates Axl and his decisions.

jmho

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

what about josh freese and Billy Howerdel? did axl hold them back? in fact i think it was the oposite...if there wasnt huge amounts of downtime i have to wonder if A Perfect Circle would've ever gotten off the ground

Board footer