You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: 'Bring Bucket back to GNR' Facebook Group

Mikkamakka wrote:
Neemo wrote:

what about josh freese and Billy Howerdel? did axl hold them back? in fact i think it was the oposite...if there wasnt huge amounts of downtime i have to wonder if A Perfect Circle would've ever gotten off the ground

You are right. Working and waiting for Axl inspires you the most to do something. Somewhere else.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

Agreed. 14

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

How is that? They all did, and are still doing their own thing. Again, I don't see where Axl held them back at all. Wasted time and opportunity as a band? There's an argument... But Axl didn't hinder anyone from doing anything on their own. IMO, these guys did some fantastic work together.

I'd also say Tommy is a lot better off because of Axl and being in GN'R. As is Richard and Chris. Creatively and finacially. Tommy specifically benefited from Axl's help in his solo work and bank account. GN'R brought Bucket to a much bigger audiance and expanded his fanbase. I'm one of those. Robin was allowed to write his own songs for the first time. Don't see how Axl held them back or stopped them from writing one song or making one album on their own.

Depends on how you see it.

Being in a "band", and not releasing more than ONE album in a DECADE, because ONE guy basically sandbags the whole process, not only do I call it "dickish", but I also call it "holding back".

That's why it's not a 'band'. It's Axl Rose solo. Looking at it in that respect is the only thing that vindicates Axl and his decisions.

jmho

Even if CD was never released, Bucket still recorded those albums. Tommy got a managment deal, made his solo album and has been pretty vocal of how supportive Axl has been. Something Paul Westerberg never was.

Axl is not James Hetfield.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I'll agree to that. Even in the old band, Axl was not anti-the band cutting solo records or doing other stuff, other than Slash recording with MJ. Which was always bizarre Axl's hatred for MJ, unless it was Axl being molested as a kid and he had a gut feeling that MJ was in fact a child molestor.

But we're not talking about those guys solo projects are we? We're talking about Guns N' Roses. What's the point in being in a BAND that releases NO music, because of ONE man?

It's dickish. Plain and simple.

However, the flip side of that is - none of those guys would be in GN'R if it wasn't for Mr. Rose.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I mean holding him back in terms of unleashing his full writing/playing potential on GNR material.

Nottingham Lace and possibly Soothsayer were borne during his time in GNR, two of Bucket's absolute crowning achievements, and they ended up as solo material. Those are the types of songs that Axl should have wanted to tackle. Instead, we got Scraped and Shacklers? Probably the most "stock" material Bucket writes. Probably what was viewed as the most acceptable to GNR fans.

No way at all Bucket's full writing power was used during CD.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Even as a casual fan I can see he was wasted bigtime in axl roses gnr.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I mean holding him back in terms of unleashing his full writing/playing potential on GNR material.

Nottingham Lace and possibly Soothsayer were borne during his time in GNR, two of Bucket's absolute crowning achievements, and they ended up as solo material.

Absolutely. Every time I listen to Electric Tears it floors me that he recorded and released that during that 2001-02 period in GNR.

Instead of people asking stupid questions during those Axl chats, someone should have asked his feelings on Electric Tears, did he like it, and if Bucket brought any of that to the CD table but did it on his own instead.

He probably would have ignored the question though. On mygnr he was asked about that incredible 2001 Rio Madagascar solo and why that didn't show up on the album and he ignored it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Nottingham Lace and possibly Soothsayer were borne during his time in GNR, two of Bucket's absolute crowning achievements, and they ended up as solo material.

Yeah i say this over and over...but those with Axl would be totally mind blowing.

They are absolutely astonishing and beautiful guitar melodies and solos.

People rave about the TWAT solo which is cool and all...but something like second half of Nottingham lace as TWAT style outro would have been mind blowing for GNR!

Perhaps there's more in the vault, but it does almost feel like Axl and Bucket for some reason didn't do their best work together.

You know like I listen to snakepit and I think "this would be awesome with Axl added" but at least we have still have AFD/UYI which really celebrated the Axl/Slash mix....but I listen to Soothsayer and I think "imagine this with Axl" and there's only a couple of songs on CD where you really hear what it would be.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Nottingham Lace and possibly Soothsayer were borne during his time in GNR, two of Bucket's absolute crowning achievements, and they ended up as solo material. Those are the types of songs that Axl should have wanted to tackle. Instead, we got Scraped and Shacklers? Probably the most "stock" material Bucket writes. Probably what was viewed as the most acceptable to GNR fans.

I can see that. But those songs, SR, Scraped and Sorry are rock band songs. I think Bucket wrote songs for GNR and wrote songs for Bucket.

I think his additions to the songs were wrth him being in the band. Along with his work with Chris on ITW, which was stellar, and with Robin on Better. And I'm still waiting to see what else he did with the band.

I'll never debate the fact that Axl wasted a lot of time and opportunity.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Absolutely. Every time I listen to Electric Tears it floors me that he recorded and released that during that 2001-02 period in GNR.

Instead of people asking stupid questions during those Axl chats, someone should have asked his feelings on Electric Tears, did he like it, and if Bucket brought any of that to the CD table but did it on his own instead.

He probably would have ignored the question though. On mygnr he was asked about that incredible 2001 Rio Madagascar solo and why that didn't show up on the album and he ignored it.

Axl is scared of the diehards like us. Period. He knows it, we know it.

It's easy for Axl to deal with the nutswingers on MyGNR & HTGTH, because they ask simplistic questions, completely unrelated retarded questions that have nothing to do with anything but geekdom. Nobody cares if Axl prefers Kirk or Picard.

I remember those chats, and anytime Axl was asked a really cool, serious question, he ignored it, so people gave up on it. It wasn't all the trolls. Some of it was Axl flat out ignoring it.

Now whether it was intentional or not, or that Axl just did not remember - who knows.

Other than Bucket's solo on TWAT, absolutely NOTHING on CD represents Bucket's true talent.

And even when Axl was asked the BIG questions, whether it was Slash or Bucket, he gave some long-winded, lawyer-like, Beta-typed-it, type response that was was big on $50 words, and said absolutely NOTHING.

He should've signed it 'The Office of the President of the United States of America'.

Just alot of talk, and nothing really being said. Axl doesn't have the stones for that conversation.

Board footer