You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: ASHBA: When You Come To A GnR Show, You Know There's A Danger Element

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

CD for the most part, sounds like generic Nu Metal with really awesome guitar solos.

Nothing special about any riff on that entire album.

Sorry, read this and nearly tore my ball sack laughing. Not only did you just describe every Sixx Am record (save the awesome guitar solos), but it's the total opposite of CD.

Lomax wrote:

Chinese? It's got some pretty good musical structures.

Catcher is almost perfect.
If the world manages to maintain a whole track on a base of 2 notes.

I think that's the thing with GNR.

Axl provided the structure for a lot of songs. Then the band went and filled that structure with kick-ass musical "content".

The new guys just haven't the type of brain it takes to work like that.

Bucket is more a structure guy himself.
Finck was a textures guy cool atmosphere in his playing but that's about it.
Bumble seems to love playing notes but not be too bothered about how they sound.
Fortus who?

The perfect post slash lineup would consist of Axl laying down awesome musical structures.
DJ churning out cool riffs to hold up the structure.
Bucket weaving in and out of Dj's stuff.

And that's it.

Tommy Stinson's got it. Whatever it is. He's just an awesome player, on par with Duff if not better.

Drummers are drummers, I get the feeling Axl wrote the drum parts himself anyway, they seem integral to the musical structures in most songs.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

CD for the most part, sounds like generic Nu Metal with really awesome guitar solos.

Nothing special about any riff on that entire album.

Sorry, read this and nearly tore my ball sack laughing. Not only did you not just describe every Sixx Am record (save the awesome guitar solos), but it's the total opposite of CD.

Im not really a Sixx AM fan. Singer does little for me outside Life Is Beautiful.

DJ has some commercial songwriting in him though. Will it be on par with Slash and old GNR? OF course not but still he seems to know what works etc and pair that up with Axl, u got a winner.

If Robin was so amazing, why did Trent use him as a touring guitarist but not a songwriter? Anybody?

Of course there are actually people on here who would probably  say Shackler's is a better riff than SCOM just cause of their bucket Love fest.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Riad wrote:

Chinese? It's got some pretty good musical structures.

Catcher is almost perfect.
If the world manages to maintain a whole track on a base of 2 notes.

I think that's the thing with GNR.

Axl provided the structure for a lot of songs. Then the band went and filled that structure with kick-ass musical "content".

The new guys just haven't the type of brain it takes to work like that.

Bucket is more a structure guy himself.
Finck was a textures guy cool atmosphere in his playing but that's about it.
Bumble seems to love playing notes but not be too bothered about how they sound.
Fortus who?

The perfect post slash lineup would consist of Axl laying down awesome musical structures.
DJ churning out cool riffs to hold up the structure.
Bucket weaving in and out of Dj's stuff.

And that's it.

Tommy Stinson's got it. Whatever it is. He's just an awesome player, on par with Duff if not better.

Drummers are drummers, I get the feeling Axl wrote the drum parts himself anyway, they seem integral to the musical structures in most songs.

Catcher was almost perfect on the demo till they destroyed the intro and allowed Ron to record some of the worst guitar fills of all time on it.

Lomax wrote:

yeah as I said. The structure is perfect. The content not so much

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've always been mixed on Robin....

I have to give him that he has a unique sound, which I think is very imporant in music - both for vocalists and guitarists. If I think about some of the better known guitarsts - they sound like only they sound - like you can tell a solo that's played by Dave Mustaine - something about the attack, the harmonics, the way he's moving those strings. Like wise you can feel clapton's presence on a track. Bucket has a very distinctive approach to guitar, it's not surprising when you hear a Zakk track to find ourt it's Zakk..you knew it was...and i think slash has a particular touch too...something about the note selection and more than that the actual way he plays those notes....people have a unique style.

Anyway one thing that's good about Robin is that he has that distinctive sound in spades...I don't think there's anyone out there who would have played what he did on CD....and I think his contributions really suit the songs....while TIL would have been interesting with Slash as he does those emotive ballads so well - it def works with Robin's solo imo - i've grown to love it - and I'm not sure just any solo would work there so that's saying something. The SOD solo is also great and perfect for the song...and the interaction of him and bucket on a few songs like the title track is pretty cool. So overall I really enjoyed what he played on CD.

However, the other side of the coin to me was the way he played the AFD stuff which just wasn't to my taste. Appologies to Russ who I know digs the robin versions more than the Slash ones...but to me...I grew up with those guitar solos...and the changes to them being as drastic as they were..was really like someone jumped on stage and sang new lyrics...my brain just can't handle that level of change. Some improv is cool - hell slash played them different a lot - but the stylistic changes of robin on those songs were too much for me.

So I was sort of mixed...love and respect robins work on CD, but overall, happy to have DJ aboard as I think he brings a much stronger link to the AFD, UYI sounds of yesterday - while also having solid modern rock chops for new stuff.

johndivney wrote:
-D- wrote:

CD for the most part, sounds like generic Nu Metal with really awesome guitar solos

lol

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Long video...but if you skip to the solo sections you can see there's some tasty playing and riffage...

Not saying it's hard in a bucket way - but what I like about it is that the song is a simple chord progression but DJ's got some fairly intricate little things going on around it that's really spicing it up.

My opinion is that CD has amazing ballads but that most of the guitarts on it - Robin, Bucket etc are amazing at adding solos to ballads but not really so big on writing riff based rockers....seems those were few and what there was kinda came from paul....

So like I see DJ as filling in that gap - on a hypothetical new GNR release he can add in the basis for the AFD type stuff that was missing on CD. And i'm not saying this riff is as good as an AFD riff or anything...but it's guitar based rock and if you added Axl's magic it could get pretty cool.

So like an album of DJ's riffs and Axl's ballads to me could be a very strong UYI style album.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Here's another one

Solo at 4.33 - I'd describe this as pretty solid playing..suits the riffs nicely.

johndivney wrote:
bigbri wrote:

DJ bashing has jumped the shark.

hardly
first, most obv, the guy's an easy target - he says & acts cheesy as fuck
secondly, most importantly, is what his role in GnR actually is & the standard to which he performs compared to Slash/Finck (& the other old guys). in short he's decent - he's a good guitarist w/o being exceptional or unique, he's energetic & entertains a certain section of the audience (here he offers more than finck/bumble/fortus - but not slash or BH or even izzy, 'cause izzy was The Man). but it's not enough for GnR.
he isn't the visionary or the presence/personality the role demands (ron gets away w/it cause he can play all DJ's parts blindfolded). & really you can see his preppy cliched "showmanship" in any halfway respectable punk band. you don't have to be running & jumping all over the stage & pandering to the audience or throwing cliched guitar moves (is he still doing that cigarette thing?!) to be a great showman. peter green sits down when he plays & he's infinity more spellbinding than dj

that's maybe jumping the shark..

Board footer