You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Re: Axl Serves Jury Duty

Dadud wrote:

thanks to whoever edited my post. i was just about to go to bed last night when i saw that so i was in kind of a rush.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

As long as he voted not guilty.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Hah. Imagine if Slash had been called up for jury duty on the same case… big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Imagine if Slash had been the person on trial.

Poor guy would've gotten a public hanging brought out of retirement just for him. 14

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Imagine if Slash had been the person on trial.

Poor guy would've gotten a public hanging brought out of retirement just for him. 14

Nah, I think Axl's distorted logic would lead to something like this:

tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I always hated that scene. It's democracized idealism, and gives way too much faith to juries.

The juries i've been on, usually are swayed by the one guy yelling, like ol' whitey there. It's the Henry Fonda's that get ignored.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I always hated that scene. It's democracized idealism, and gives way too much faith to juries.

The juries i've been on, usually are swayed by the one guy yelling, like ol' whitey there. It's the Henry Fonda's that get ignored.

Heh, of course it's idealistic. The very idea of starting at 11-1 and having the one guy convince everyone else to change their mind is extremely idealistic. But the point of it is important IMHO. Many of our laws are designed to protect the minority opinion (free speech laws and so forth), and we've seen over time that minority opinion can turn into majority opinion depending on changes in society.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Call me cynical, but I don't think it changes anyone's opinions.

They just become less public about it.

Look at gays. Christians would call it "rampant homosexuality", but in reality it was always there, they just feel safer and more comfortable to be public about.

So in theory, the Christian who's opinion hasn't changed, retreats into seclusion with their opinion, still donating money, still doing what they can on an almost underground level to bring it down.

Did the civil rights movement change anything? No. They used government force to force an opinion down someone's throat.

Racism/Prejudice (like in 12 Angry Men) is another. Those feelings of racism haven't gone anywhere. The racists have simply gotten less public and open with it not feeling a social acceptance of their view.

In America and internationally, Obama's election as U.S. president has been the most fascinating in regards to this. For as many people that looked at the U.S. as "coming that far", the mixed reaction domestically and internationally has shown we aren't there yet. Monkey jokes, chimp cartoons, fringe Tea Partiers "just another N", and the international jokes even from world leaders in France and the Middle East.

We haven't changed anything. We've just swayed what we're open about. And the more it's supressed, the more it'll come back on us later.

"Never lose your faith in people Bruce"

I'm trying...

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Been on jury duty myself, the biggest thing was people not understanding the law that applied as they explained it to us. Tough cookies, you don't like the law, that's the law.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Did the civil rights movement change anything? No. They used government force to force an opinion down someone's throat.

We haven't changed anything. We've just swayed what we're open about. And the more it's supressed, the more it'll come back on us later.

We'll I'm not american so i can only speculate about the specific cultural issues you guys have after slavery and so on.

But I think that social acceptance of something does over time change the bulk of opinion.

For example...it seems normal to me to wear clothes...that's because I was put in clothes shortly after birth, everywhere I go I see clothes and I see everyone else doing the same thing.

If we lived in a society where stuff like segregation was still normal, where someone would have to get a different bus to me, or use a different doorway just because of their skin tone, if you spend enough time in that environment, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would start to accept it just because of the culture of it all. Conversely, I went to primary school with a very racially mixed group - there were people whose heritage was Chinese, African, European and pretty much global. Everyone is treated equally (at least on an official level) and so the idea that maybe some of them should be treated worse than others seems quite alien.

I mean there's always going to be a hardline. There are people that will always hate homosexuals, or be white supremacists or favour or prejudice some other group. And sure, some of them will just take it underground...but at the same time.... I think what we publicly condone as a society  still matters for a lot.

You raise kids seeing dad hit mom every night and they grow up thinking that's ok and sometimes replicate the behaviour. Sometimes it's good to have a public standard of conduct that we've agreed as a group is honourable.

Board footer