You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: The Next Thing

smoke wrote:

I can't decide, so I'm going with madagas: I want it all and expect nothing.

Full reunion AND the newly named band "Chinese Democracy" as a side project.

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

There's a first time for everything...

We ain't gonna know 'til the deed is done.

As faldor was talking about, I don't blame Slash & Steven, and the fans for having that attitude. Why wouldn't they?

Regardless of the old band, Axl's known for fucking up a good/perfect thing. Everybody's fuse for his hijinks was extinguished years ago.

It's so far fetched for it to work that even the band themselves can't wrap their heads around it. Stranger things have happened.

I still think if Van Halen can do it (not at the Hall, but in the present), GN'R can without hesitation. It might not be at the Hall, but it will be eventually.

Van Halen doesn't have a bipolar nutjob for a lead singer. Roth is certainly an egomaniac, but I don't think he's anywhere near as crazy/volatile as Axl.

no they have a raging alcoholic nut job egomaniac guitar player

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
sandman wrote:

reunion. it's a no brainer. i'd pay alot of money just to see axl and slash perform together. not sure what the poll means by "album(?)" but it doesn't matter. if they are touring together, there would be a chance they would make an album together. so i voted for that.

for several years i've accepted that there is no chance of that happening. now i think there is at least a chance, although very small. i think the one thing that would have to happen is Tommy Stinson quitting the band. if that were to happen, i think a reunion with Slash and Duff becomes 50-50. i don't think Stinson will quit, but i think there is always a chance with him. he's involved with other projects and gnr is not his ideal situation. i could see him getting bored with the whole thing (the music, the delays, not being an equal member in the band, etc.).

gibbo wrote:

Stinson quiting wouldnt be a big lose

Actually I remember Tommy Stinson saying years ago that he wouldn't hesistate to step aside for a reunion.

He was also quite fanboy-ish when Duff appeared at the London 2010 show.

Now did Tommy say that because he thought their was no chance in hell that it would ever happen? Maybe.

But I don't see Tommy holding a GN'R reunion up. I personally would like him to be kept around to play rhythm guitar as a replacement player on the show's Izzy doesn't perform on the reunion tour.

Tommy is the most "old Guns", "old rock" member of the new era GN'R. I think he'd get along with everyone great.

If not Izzy, i'd much rather have Tommy on rhythm than Gilby, Paul, Richard, Dave Kushner or someone entirely new.

misterID wrote:

I'll take new music.

And a one off reunion... maybe it turns into something else down the road.

But I think it's funny that people believe that a full-fledged reunion is more likely than getting new music. Twilight Zone.

Actually people assuming new music is more likely is more Twilight Zone to me.

There has been nothing from the band other than empty promises, and a dis-interested lead singer for years.

Chinese Democracy was pryed out of Axl's hands using pliers, and despite a 10+ year wait, was still rushed.

I don't see why people think new music is "so gonna happen soon", versus a reunion. Axl's already patched things up with everyone from the old days, performed with Izzy & Duff, and more than likely will perform with "the big one" in March.

Where's the new album? Where's the new single? Where's the leaked demos?

Right now we have something penciled in for March that has more to do with a reunion, than CD II.

That's the facts jack.

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

There's a first time for everything...

We ain't gonna know 'til the deed is done.

As faldor was talking about, I don't blame Slash & Steven, and the fans for having that attitude. Why wouldn't they?

Regardless of the old band, Axl's known for fucking up a good/perfect thing. Everybody's fuse for his hijinks was extinguished years ago.

It's so far fetched for it to work that even the band themselves can't wrap their heads around it. Stranger things have happened.

I still think if Van Halen can do it (not at the Hall, but in the present), GN'R can without hesitation. It might not be at the Hall, but it will be eventually.

Van Halen doesn't have a bipolar nutjob for a lead singer. Roth is certainly an egomaniac, but I don't think he's anywhere near as crazy/volatile as Axl.

smoke wrote:

EVH = Axl. It's not the Dave to Axl comparison that makes sense.

Precisely. Axl is Eddie Van Halen. And guess what? Eddie Van Halen runs Van Halen like a dictator. And guess what else? Van Halen is out there doing stuff or about to do stuff.

Even a reunited GN'R would be AXL'S BAND. That was set in motion as far back as 1990. It was moving that way throughout the UYI period.

Slash knows now that it's Axl's band, and it'll exist with or without him, as much as he knows he'll exist with or without Axl.

So you'll get two guys out on stage who get along well because their points about each other were made and proved years ago. There's nothing left to fight about it.

If they don't, then they've proved they aren't over it.

Neither Axl, nor Slash, strike me as two guys right now with something left to prove to each other. They seem to be at peace with the whole thing, even if they share a stage together.

As for them recording studio material... I think they're at peace with that too. Even in VR, it worked an awful lot like Guns did when Slash bitched about "Axl's way". Izzy comes up with ideas, Slash & Duff flesh them out, and Axl comes in and gives the whole thing direction.

None of them are in the same room today, and still are able to do that seperately.

It all boils down to "do they, or don't they" want to record and release. Methods-wise, I think they all kinda work they way they always did and seem to be comfortable with.

I don't see why it's such a far-fetched concept. If they don't do it, then they probably just weren't that interested.

But imo if Axl turns down a Izzy & Slash birthed record... then you can kiss your CD II goodbye. Because Axl has had the biggest issue with being inspired since Izzy left, and if he turns that down, then he probably doesn't want to or will ever want to release anything ever again. I don't see Axl Rose going "fuck off Izzy Stradlin, but yeah lemme get DJ Ashba to record an album with me".

jmho

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

If not Izzy, i'd much rather have Tommy on rhythm than Gilby, Paul, Richard, Dave Kushner or someone entirely new.

Paul Tobias sharing the stage with Slash would be the most awkward Axl/Slash reunion scenario I can possibly imagine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axlin, CD wasn't "pryed" from his hands, it was turned over to UNI a year before it was released. UNI sat on it. And we've had new music. People used to say a reunion would happen before CD was released. Then CD was released and there was no reunion. Like Joe Friday says, "Just the facts, mam." 16

And a HOF reunion isn't a given. Axl hasn't ruled out a HOF performance, but he has been pretty clear he's continuing with this line up. I see nothing that says a full blown reunion is happening.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

Axlin, CD wasn't "pryed" from his hands, it was turned over to UNI a year before it was released. UNI sat on it. And we've had new music. People used to say a reunion would happen before CD was released. Then CD was released and there was no reunion. Like Joe Friday says, "Just the facts, mam." 16

And a HOF reunion isn't a given. Axl hasn't ruled out a HOF performance, but he has been pretty clear he's continuing with this line up. I see nothing that says a full blown reunion is happening.

Exactly, this argument will never go away though despite Axl spelling it out repeatedly that a reunion AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!  In fact, outside of Steven Adler, none of them seem to be too concerned with a reunion.  The fans can continue to hold onto that hope, but I suggest they let it go.  New music from this lineup is so much more likely than a reunion, it's not even funny.  I'm not saying we're getting new music anytime soon, I'm simply saying that's how unlikely a reunion is.  I'm hoping they can suck it up for ONE night, but that's even asking a lot.

Also, not that I expect it, but just because we haven't been given the blueprints for future plans for the current lineup, doesn't mean there are none.  About a month ago Van Halen fans were still in the dark about what the hell was going on.  They had no clue if the album actually existed, when/if they'd get to hear music, news, etc.  Now it's all laid out nicely for them.  So let's not pretend that we know everything because we haven't heard anything.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Biggest thing would be: will the label ALLOW Axl to release another album? no way they are going through that headache again when they make easy money on these shit rap,pop, r and b acts.

They are going to tell Axl... Reunite or no label support.

Thats how they got Nikki to bring Vince back to Motley.

Same shit is happening here i guarantee it and to all other bands who magically reunited.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Biggest thing would be: will the label ALLOW Axl to release another album? no way they are going through that headache again when they make easy money on these shit rap,pop, r and b acts.

They are going to tell Axl... Reunite or no label support.

Thats how they got Nikki to bring Vince back to Motley.

Same shit is happening here i guarantee it and to all other bands who magically reunited.

They've been trying that for years now and it hasn't worked yet.  Not sure why Axl would all of a sudden give in, when he's given absolutely no indication that he would.  I think he'd retire from creating/releasing music before he'd reunite just to please and line the pockets of the powers that be.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

Exactly, this argument will never go away though despite Axl spelling it out repeatedly that a reunion AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!  In fact, outside of Steven Adler, none of them seem to be too concerned with a reunion.  The fans can continue to hold onto that hope, but I suggest they let it go.  New music from this lineup is so much more likely than a reunion, it's not even funny.  I'm not saying we're getting new music anytime soon, I'm simply saying that's how unlikely a reunion is.  I'm hoping they can suck it up for ONE night, but that's even asking a lot.

Also, not that I expect it, but just because we haven't been given the blueprints for future plans for the current lineup, doesn't mean there are none.  About a month ago Van Halen fans were still in the dark about what the hell was going on.  They had no clue if the album actually existed, when/if they'd get to hear music, news, etc.  Now it's all laid out nicely for them.  So let's not pretend that we know everything because we haven't heard anything.

Not only is new music from this lineup more likely, I think it will be more interesting than a reunion.  I saw the old band and I'm not really interested in a trip down memory lane.  People assume it's a foregone conclusion that the old band can just pick up where they left off.  I don't.  These guys aren't the 20-25 year olds struggling to make it on the streets.  They've changed. 

Even if they were to reunite, would they even be able to make new music together? It's clear Axl's creative path has diverged from the old school GN'R sound, and that divide started the minute Axl wanted to bring in Dizzy Reed.  He was honoring his Elton John and even Freddie Mercury influences, but neither Slash nor Izzy have shown much enthusiasm for that decision in hindsight.

Ali

Board footer