You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Next Thing

monkeychow wrote:

If they could agree on a musical direction then  I think the music would be good.  Slash's recent riffs like "By the Sword" are pretty great, and likewise there's a ton of lyrical ideas like "If the World" that sound killer on CD...if they could agree to work together again - I think it would be good.

But I'd prefer something lasting like a new song from them rather than a one night stand of a show....

Meanwhile I see CD2 as very likely. I mean most of the fucker is already recorded, meanwhile to finish it we have the most accepted, most integrated and most functional version of the line up since the UYI tour ended.

Label wise I think they'd be into it. Even if it flops by GNR standards it will do ok compared to what their options are. Bottom line is there's a guaranteed minimum of sales in the international market that the label would get regardless of the album quality. They dont have to pay to finish recording it much..so they only need to recoup marketing costs which they can keep under control. Seems like a safer bet than pimping out some new band which may or may not get a following.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I'm still waiting for Axl to write lyrics for "Watch This".  That song would fucken rock even more (if that's possible) with Axl screaming on it.  11

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Biggest thing would be: will the label ALLOW Axl to release another album? no way they are going through that headache again when they make easy money on these shit rap,pop, r and b acts.

They are going to tell Axl... Reunite or no label support.

Thats how they got Nikki to bring Vince back to Motley.

Same shit is happening here i guarantee it and to all other bands who magically reunited.

I fucking guarantee you that first thing will happen. Guarantee you.

Axl's gonna meet MASSIVE resistence on releasing CD II with Uni after the Hall show. Even Axl's said that "all people want is a reunion, all people want is to collect their little check... but does it mean anything?"

Or something like that

And that's the key i've been saying. I'm not saying, nor would I ever be dumb enough to, i'm too old, too wise, and too much of an expert on all things GN'R. A reunion is NOT imminent. I repeat a reunion IS NOT imminent.

But CD II isn't either

And alot of people gotta take a two-day break off of the 2011 North American tour crack pipe. DJ was saying shit like this nearly two years ago. Nothing has happened.

When I talk reunion, when I talk reunion album, I talk in terms of inspiration. Is Axl being inspired.

And no one can deny that Axl has never ever been inspired by any lineup variation of GN'R the same way he was with that Slash/Izzy/Duff combo.

That's undeniable. It took him YEARS and YEARS to rebuild GN'R by 2001-02 into a group of guys that inspired him, such as Robin & Bucket. They're long gone. And Axl has had absolutely no motivation since to record anything original with anyone. Even his vault is composed of Robin/Bucket material.

Ron Thal himself said how he hasn't even sat down in the same room with the band and talked and/or worked on a new album.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS?

Does anyone get that, or am I the only one?

Ron Thal has been in the band for nearly SIX years. And he's still yet to sit down with his lead singer, and have a 10 minute conversation about new music.

Does that mean the vault won't be released? Absolutely not. But I do think it says something that the guys that inspired Axl enough to put shit in that vault, haven't been around Axl for 4 and 7 years.

I highly question how close we are to new GN'R music. It's been three years since Chinese was released, which was supposed to be released in 2001, and Axl STILL breezes over the question of new music. If anyone brings it to you, it'll be DJ Ashba, which Axl himself stated was brought on with "music" already in mind.

But let me leave you with this, and you'll call me crazy, but just go with me here for a second...

If no one ever considers a "new" old Guns album as the next GN'R album, it'll be because Slash, Izzy & Duff aren't interested. But it certaintly won't be because CD II is already gonna happen.

It would be 10 times easier, for Axl to whip up a reunion album and release it worldwide, then it EVER will be for him to push another new Guns album.

And THAT is why I think CD II is a harder reach. It's more the business aspect of it. Chinese Democracy was a fucking disaster of a release that was barely released. And it was not Universal's fault Mister ID, it wasn't.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Ron hasn't sat down with him because Axl spent years and years and years in the studio recording. From 95 to 2005, if not all the way up to 2008. Is it that weird then, that Ron has not sat down with Axl to talk about new writing.

If I spent over 10 years writing a book, finally being able to promote it in year 11, 12 and 13 I would do so. I would not even think of going back to writing when I had the chance of finally promoting all that work. I would be fed up and I would want to do something else for a while.

The last paragraph is how I would feel it, it got nothing to do with being an Axlite or excusing him. It is what it is, but I could be wrong.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Exactly...I always got the impression the plan was:

* Release CD
* Euro Tour
* USA Tour
* Finish CD2
* Some kind of tour
* Write new material.

Ron hasn't recorded new music with the band because there's already an album or so done with his parts ready to go (just needs DJ). Why would they start work on Album 3 when Album 2 is mid way through. That's why.

Nothing else has happened because it's taken heaven and earth to get the CD tour done. Dragged on into 3 or 4 years now instead of like 1 year like it was planned...

But I believe that now the NA tour is finally done...that puts CD2 on the agenda...so I'd say a year for over dumbs and mixing, 2 years for label bullshit sorting...I think it'll happen circa 2014 maybe 2015.

Anything sooner and I'd be pleasantly surprised. But i think that's next on Axl's hit list...to be honest I see nothing that suggests a potential reunion is imminent...if it were slash wouldn't be recording with myles and Axl tinkering with Dj's music....maybe we'll get a novelty all star jam or something at the RRHOF..but old GNR isn't comming back from anything I see on the radar.

Which sucks..but then again...on the plus side Slash2 and CD2 will mean I get 2 albums I like not 1.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

CD2 should now be on the agenda, if logic is put first. However, logic has never been something GNR relates to. Not in 1987 and not in 2012.

They've done an extensive world tour on CD now, and a successfull one I might add, considering this band is A) not the original GNR and B) not the ones that actually wrote music to CD.

Logically, I see no reason either than previously mentioned, why Ron hasn't sat down with Axl to write songs. That wasn't the plan after CD release. Things takes time in GNR world. It's what other bands do, and it's what GNR do.

So, another album or a release of other CD material is the logical step now.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Biggest thing would be: will the label ALLOW Axl to release another album? no way they are going through that headache again when they make easy money on these shit rap,pop, r and b acts.

Same shit is happening here i guarantee it and to all other bands who magically reunited.

If the label has been paid off on recording costs, which is what's rumored to have happened, and they're currently renegotiating their contract, as Axl has said, that's not going to happen.

GN'R will end up on another label, perhaps a smaller label, if they try a power play.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

If the label has been paid off on recording costs, which is what's rumored to have happened, and they're currently renegotiating their contract, as Axl has said, that's not going to happen.

GN'R will end up on another label, perhaps a smaller label, if they try a power play.

Yeah, that could happen.  Frankly, I don't give a shit if GN'R plays arenas or theaters or what label they are on.  If they can continue to release new music and kick ass on stage, that's all that really matters in the end to me.

Ali

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
-D- wrote:

I fucking guarantee you that first thing will happen. Guarantee you.

Axl's gonna meet MASSIVE resistence on releasing CD II with Uni after the Hall show. Even Axl's said that "all people want is a reunion, all people want is to collect their little check... but does it mean anything?"

Or something like that

And that's the key i've been saying. I'm not saying, nor would I ever be dumb enough to, i'm too old, too wise, and too much of an expert on all things GN'R. A reunion is NOT imminent. I repeat a reunion IS NOT imminent.

But CD II isn't either

And alot of people gotta take a two-day break off of the 2011 North American tour crack pipe. DJ was saying shit like this nearly two years ago. Nothing has happened.

When I talk reunion, when I talk reunion album, I talk in terms of inspiration. Is Axl being inspired.

And no one can deny that Axl has never ever been inspired by any lineup variation of GN'R the same way he was with that Slash/Izzy/Duff combo.

That's undeniable. It took him YEARS and YEARS to rebuild GN'R by 2001-02 into a group of guys that inspired him, such as Robin & Bucket. They're long gone. And Axl has had absolutely no motivation since to record anything original with anyone. Even his vault is composed of Robin/Bucket material.

Ron Thal himself said how he hasn't even sat down in the same room with the band and talked and/or worked on a new album.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THAT MEANS?

Does anyone get that, or am I the only one?

Ron Thal has been in the band for nearly SIX years. And he's still yet to sit down with his lead singer, and have a 10 minute conversation about new music.

Does that mean the vault won't be released? Absolutely not. But I do think it says something that the guys that inspired Axl enough to put shit in that vault, haven't been around Axl for 4 and 7 years.

I highly question how close we are to new GN'R music. It's been three years since Chinese was released, which was supposed to be released in 2001, and Axl STILL breezes over the question of new music. If anyone brings it to you, it'll be DJ Ashba, which Axl himself stated was brought on with "music" already in mind.

But let me leave you with this, and you'll call me crazy, but just go with me here for a second...

If no one ever considers a "new" old Guns album as the next GN'R album, it'll be because Slash, Izzy & Duff aren't interested. But it certaintly won't be because CD II is already gonna happen.

It would be 10 times easier, for Axl to whip up a reunion album and release it worldwide, then it EVER will be for him to push another new Guns album.

And THAT is why I think CD II is a harder reach. It's more the business aspect of it. Chinese Democracy was a fucking disaster of a release that was barely released. And it was not Universal's fault Mister ID, it wasn't.

JR and D, if the label didn't intend to release another album, they would have dropped Axl like a hot potato after Chinese. You can speculate all you want. But, in this day and age, the fact that Axl still has a deal says it all. Record companies have been axing big name artists left and right. Gnr would be no different.

That being said, Axl really needs to be independent. We all know that.

Board footer