You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Favorite GN'R Song Of All-Time

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

We done that a few years ago, voted off songs day by day. It came down to Jungle and Estranged in the end.

Which is ironic, because those have been my Top-2 songs forever.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

A top 5 is a lot easier:

Estranged
Prostitute
Better
Coma
Rocket Queen

Estranged
Prostitute
Better
Coma
Rocket Queen...

yup

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
russtcb wrote:
LuanVictor wrote:

There Was A Time or Coma. smile

TWaT is up there for me too. In certain moods, I'd say it's my favorite with a slight edge over Better.

Welcome to the forum!

To me, the intro that's on the album completely KILLS the song for me.

It takes out all the seriousness or any feeling the song might want to pass... It sounds like blinks and blonks from a japanese arcade...

The leak was so much better for me because it didn't have those funny noises on the intro..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont think twat would be in the top 10 for me. Off CD I think only The Blues, Madagascar and This I Love would be in there.

Or mabye not, just tried to make a top 10, its not easy and one of them would have to go.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I dont think twat would be in the top 10 for me. Off CD I think only The Blues, Madagascar and This I Love would be in there.

Or mabye not, just tried to make a top 10, its not easy and one of them would have to go.

I'd put TWAT in my Top-5 actually. Madagascar would probably be in my Top-10 also from CD. This I Love would rank pretty high, but i'm not really sure it'd be in the Top-10 because of the Robin solo. The orchestra-based one would rank much higher.

I'm not sure other than those three that anything from CD would even be in my Top-20 after that. hmm

I'm thinking about actually sitting down and hammering out a structured rank of the entire GN'R catalog in my eyes.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I'm thinking about actually sitting down and hammering out a structured rank of the entire GN'R catalog in my eyes.

thats what i was talking about, we all list our top 20 or so GnR songs then get someone to tabulate the results.. but it got poo-pooed w/poll elimantion chamber option & besides everyone knows this boards fave GnR song is Estranged. ho hum.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I pondered that too.

But then it's difficult for me because of the passage of time.

Some of these songs are highly connected to the eras they premiered.

Circa 2004 the rio version of Madagascar really inspired me while I was going through some personal stuff.

Or like Brownstone....maybe it's technically not that great a song in the scheme of things, but it's entirely possible that that song is why I play guitar these days.

I think twat has probably some of Axl's best vocal performances ever...so I'd rank it high...but then what of songs like ISE or Jungle that sort of changed the whole of my teen years and so on. Or something like Coma that's not easy listening but surely amongst the most intense songs ever made.

Or some of the songs where the music maybe is out there but the lyrics touch me - like the words to OMG or even My World really expresses thought processes I relate to sometimes....

I don't know where I'd fucking begin man!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

This isn't so much about finding "the best song".

It's about percentage rank of a top-to-bottom. It's different from Elimination. This is something that will take time. I doubt most will even bite it'll be so daunting.

Board footer