You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Which do you feel is most likley

johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
johndivney wrote:

we talk a lot about axl wasting time etc.

we spend a little less time discussing the possibility the may be done creatively.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've thought this for YEARS. You're right though it's never really discussed. I think most don't wanna admit the possibility but to be honest no new material on the horizon and when we do hear about it it's all talk about decade old material. Axl may be tapped out.

What is there really to admit?

lol r u 4 real?

"tinkering"? wtf is that? if you're gonna work you don't "tinker" w/something. unless you're a chancer.

& none of us* know what the plan is for the next record. (which is why it's fair to speculate the possibilities, which is all Bono was doing..)

* bar msl/mrID/jarmo/neemo/beta & a few others

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
johndivney wrote:

we talk a lot about axl wasting time etc.

we spend a little less time discussing the possibility the may be done creatively.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've thought this for YEARS. You're right though it's never really discussed. I think most don't wanna admit the possibility but to be honest no new material on the horizon and when we do hear about it it's all talk about decade old material. Axl may be tapped out.

What is there really to admit?  None of us have any clue how often a melody pops into Axl's head when he's tinkering around on the piano, how often he actually works a melody and chord progression into something more like a fully formed song.

None of us even know if it is even Axl's plan to release CD-era material for the next record.

Ali

None of know anything for a fact Ali. It doesn't take a genius to understand what my point was but I'll spell it out for you. I was saying most of us might be affraid to admit that there is a POSSIBILITY that Axl's creative juices aren't really there anymore. If you don't believe that fine but there is the possibility of it. I don't know what melodies Axl works on in his spare time just like you don't know if he works on anything so....

Sky Dog wrote:

You only know what he releases or what gets leaked (whether demos or not) or what gets played live. Considering his career is now formally 25 years, his catalog is miniscule compared to his peers and other classic rock acts before him.....extremely small catalog.

johndivney wrote:

re: madagas - i was gonna say "comparatively speaking yada yada yada axl has released an [extremely small catalog]"

but i kinda chickened out cause people would say, "well axl's unique & sensitive etc...." 

but seriously, at this stage, axl's behaviour calls into question Gnr's position at the top table of american rock.
(fwiw i will always believe gnr belong at the pinnacle of rock music, whatever nationality/culture it aspires from - i'm just saying in other persons eyes i can understand why GnR would be undeserving of such prominence due to their degenerate mismanagement & unfulfilled potential..........

Sky Dog wrote:

well, I tend to judge the best bands by their peak years...Gnr 87-91, Aerosmith 73-77, Allman Brothers 69-71, Stooges, Dolls, Doors...etc. Gnr is as good as any of them during their peak. They all have unfullfilled potential. It is the nature of the beast.

johndivney wrote:

is it? what of the stones & sympathy/gimme shelter or the beatles/white album or the who, zeppelin, pink floyd.

i could make a convincing case against all your examples fulfilling their potential. the thing w/Axl especially is he threatened something new & maybe different, but he's only delivered on that in fits & starts.

i believe The Stooges comparison is most appropriate - Aerosmith & The Doors didn't really have much to say after theiy'd said their piece & LA Woman, while Duane always had a life waiting him plundering the blues. but like The pyschedelic Stooges, Axl & GnR bring some kinda freshness to their regurgitated rock n roll. but it is a self-sabotage that as derailed their full crossover potential. i mean i do agree w you it does happen to a lot of bands, just not that many who grasped ever-lasting success on the scale of GnR while they fell downwards...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

With Beta at the helm of GNR there is no way she will want all of those 'equals' like Slash, Duff and Izzy at the table. She runs Axl and Axl runs GNR, that model has taken her 15 years to create, there is no way she'll be stepping off that gravy train.

I cannot imagine seasoned and experienced music businessmen like Slash and Duff wanting to enter into shit-eating deals with that set up no matter what's on offer. We harp on here about people making friends etc but I cannot help but notice how Slash and Duff now just seem plain confused with how the myth of the reunion has burned on.

I have no desire to hang with the girl that broke up with me 20 years ago yet she was my first love and meant everything at one time. In fact I still see her on Facebook and just shudder. I bet these guys all feel the same about the old lineup back together....too weird..

You know i've heard that ex-girlfriend/wife analogy many times before, and I just don't buy it.

I think the dynamic is different. These guys are artists, who enjoyed recording together. If they enjoyed it then, they'll enjoy it now IF they're interested in it.

Just because you're first love don't work out, and you fall out of love, doesn't mean you wouldn't still enjoy to fuck her 20 years later.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

doesn't mean you wouldn't still enjoy to fuck her 20 years later.

16 yeah but for me that fuck would be about ten minutes of furious action (sadly!)

For these guys that 'fuck' could mean 6 months in studio (if Axl is on speed) and then a year on the road..that's a full on relationship right there; and to add to it, one with probably about €200M in potential earnings floating around.

I cannot imagine any of the others taking orders from the help when it came to doing a reunion right..

Its like trying to fuck your old girlfriend but with 'Mom' now managing how she puts out...

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:

What is there really to admit?  None of us have any clue how often a melody pops into Axl's head when he's tinkering around on the piano, how often he actually works a melody and chord progression into something more like a fully formed song.

None of us even know if it is even Axl's plan to release CD-era material for the next record.

Ali

None of know anything for a fact Ali. It doesn't take a genius to understand what my point was but I'll spell it out for you. I was saying most of us might be affraid to admit that there is a POSSIBILITY that Axl's creative juices aren't really there anymore. If you don't believe that fine but there is the possibility of it. I don't know what melodies Axl works on in his spare time just like you don't know if he works on anything so....

Oh, I understand.  But, I think it is so ridiculous that it isn't even worth considering.  At ANY given time, an artist could be "tapped" creatively.  This could happen after one song, one album, one decade of work.  Is it possibly theoretically?  Yes, it always is.  But, there's nothing to suggest that.  We wouldn't be the ones to know that regardless.  So, there is nothing really to admit, when it's always possible and we have no way of knowing one way or another.

Ali

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I'm thinking most of the CD sessions will be scrapped now. They are supposed to be more electronic and experimental than the first album was,and I just cant see that direction anymore from a GNR/Axl that is falling back to the cliche skulls n tits type band merchendising and who dust off 2 ancient AC/DC songs to pad out their live sets.
I think they will keep whatever traditional rockers they have in the vault and add new ones with this line up. Fuck knows when though, everyone is showing a strong interest in getting back into the studio and Axls determined to keep them out touring.

Very, very good post.

People didn't seem to care here, but I was kinda surprised seeing the old, cock rockish posters and flyers for the 2011 and now for the 2012 tour. WTF? This band was supposedly moving to another direction and Axl hoped to take some old fans with him. The whole 'moving on' project turned into a 'moving back to nostalgia' cash grab.

As much as I wasn't a fan of the old new band, with people like BH, Brain, Pitman and NIN's Robin Finck, he seemed to have a 'vision', at least you could believe to some degree that you can expect something from him, something different. You could thing he had a 'vision' or at least some cloudy wish.
But that didn't happen. I think he was too cautious and wanted to mix his old band side (The Blues, Madagascar) with his new interests (CD - grunge, Rhiad - Praxis, Silkworms - NIN/Zombie, OMG - NIN/Manson). The audience was shocked in 2001-2002, so he went back into hiding and tried to make it more 'fan friendly'. Hence the album we got years later had more UYI-style songs with some or more beloved industrial influence added (SoD, TWAT, IRS, Madagascar, Prostitute, CITR, TIL, ITW, Sorry) and some of the survivor industrialish songs - strongly reworked and overproduced, instead of having them in their raw, mean (and airy) Sean Beaven version. The added a lot of guitars to hide the electronica as much as they can. Believe me, CD was supposedly be much more electronica heavy, but Axl decided not to take the risk, sometime in 2007, and added a lot of Ron.

Anyway, back to Olorin's original post...what we have today is a clear nostalgia act. They play much more rock and roll, then any post 1993 line-up, with Frank coming from a GN'R tribute band, and DJ being a post-glam guitarist, a typical Sunset Strip guy. Ron can play anything, Richard can be anyone's back-up session musician in any style, Dizzy's another Sunset Strip Survivor, Tommy is Duff 2, the punk that sings a song every show. Chris Pitman is the only guy who doesn't belong to this group. They are playing old AC/DC songs, some 70s punk rockers, David Bowie, AFD, Lies, more UYI. The image is clearly the poor man's classic Guns N' Roses, the flyers, everything. This line-up is as far from the industrial-'experimental' era of the millennium GN'R, as any pre-1996 line-up. Axl wants to revisit the past, for whatever reason, but he wants to revisit it without the actual guys who made the band with him. That's why I see no point in following this band as much as I used to - I have no interest in the 47th performance of Estranged or the 6793rd of SCOM with some guys who aren't Slash. A nostalgia act would get boring in a couple of months, even with the old guys, but replacements' playing nostalgia shows is everything the young Axl fought against. Well, times changed and he lost the hunger. But I don't expect them release the more industrial, electronica heavy CD2. That'd be AC/DC doing that. The band's identity moved back to the 80s.

Board footer