You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

monkeychow wrote:
Aussie wrote:

So all those other arguments in there about promotors wanting a classic lineup reunion etc etc if they play - so what, that occurs now.  Axl has spoken directly about this and how Azoff was trying to force a reunion etc etc. So how is it going to be any different.

Great post..I agree with a lot of it...but the one thing that I do think would be different though will be the painting of the situation in the media. Which is a trivial detail but seemingly the kind of thing that bugs Axl - all the way from Get In the Ring to the recent posts on twitter.

We all know how you read most articles of any band as a fan and realise how they've just used a few key phrases and easy research.

In 2001 whenever Axl was mentioned it would go on about how he's a crazy recluse and the album's long overdue. By 2006 it was how he's an angry dude with an overdue album and a replacement band. By 2009 it's that his last album was 15 years late and with no original members and that bad photo of him.

These days it mentions the destruction of the old band and goes on to mention that he's toured the states with his new DJ included band (while DJ pumps out an interview with anyone who will listen).

Don't get me wrong, the key things won't change, like Axl will always be considered a nut job in the media, but I do think the overall tone of the articles is starting to become more accepting of him doing his own thing. The world will always want him to reunite, but I think people are getting used to that it's not happening and just treating it like team sports. Much like how a lot of the music press enjoys the latest comment from Sammy or someone in the Chickenfoot vs Van Hallen saga. People expect Slash and Axl to make digs at each other and there's always the "will they get back together" stories but generally I think the press is getting used to Slash+Myles and Axl+Dj doing their own things.

A one off reunion show fundamentally alters that. Aside from the direct pressure for a long term reunion, it will be a throwaway line now in any article, like if Axl does release CD2 in 2014, it will be "a new album from the replacements, Axl who briefly reunited with Slash (who isn't on this album again) in 2012..." and so on. Like you said - that pressure already exists - but I think doing it - however briefly - would just add it into every GNR story for the next decade...which may not be an issue to us...but could well be to Axl.

My speculation is that these kinds of "negative" or reunion comments in the press set back Axl more than we realise, probably either through rage or depression and that these types of moods are a big part in why things take so long to happen. I already believe most of the "handling" and strange behaviour of the band is designed to keep Axl in good spirits.

So yeah, musically and as a fan I'd love to see it, but I can totally see why from Axl's point of view it's not something he'd be keen to do.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash says they're not playing.

Sky Dog wrote:

that's very disappointing...when did he say this?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Slash says they're not playing.

If it turns out to be true that may just be it for me. No new music on the horizon, seemingly no plans for new music....... neutral

Sky Dog wrote:

kinda may be it for me too....

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm thisclose to throwing in the towel. If they don't do the HOF, I'm with you guys. I'm out.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

that's very disappointing...when did he say this?

Take a blabbermouth.net story as you will but...

SLASH Says GUNS N' ROSES Is 'Not Playing' At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction - Mar. 21, 2012 

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash spoke to the QMI Agency earlier today (Wednesday, March 21) about the band's upcoming induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The 27th annual ceremony will be held on April 14 in Cleveland, Ohio, home to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame And Museum. Also scheduled to be inducted are RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, BEASTIE BOYS, THE SMALL FACES/FACES, Donovan and Laura Nyro. Freddie King well enter the Hall Of Fame as an Early Influence, while the late producer and TV host Don Kirshner will receive the Ahmet Ertegun (nonperformer) Award and producers Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns will receive the Award For Musical Excellence.

The ceremony will be taped for broadcast by HBO, which plans to air it in early May.

Slash told QMI Agency he had mixed emotions about the honor. "Either it hasn't hit me yet or maybe it's been so long since I had anything to do with GUNS N' ROSES that I just don't really get it," he said.

"And we're not playing. I would imagine that they asked us to play, but I know that we're not playing," he added.

Slash said that he expects former GN'R drummer Steven Adler to be there, too. "I could be positive Steven will be there," he said. "Steven wouldn't miss it." He was less certain of the attendance of the rest of GN'R's classic lineup, specifically the band's lead singer Axl Rose. The two have not spoken in years and Rose continues to hold a hostile stance toward his former bandmate.

"I don't know," Slash said when asked if Axl will make an appearance at the induction ceremony. "I would assume so but we haven't talked about it."

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan told RollingStone.com that there has been "no communication" about the original members of the band performing together when the group is inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Asked if he knew what was going to happen at the ceremony, McKagan answered, "I don't. I know I'm going to go. I can't, at all, speak for anybody else. And won't. I'll be there with bells on." But he added, "There's been no communication about anyone playing. There was probably a day in the mid-1990s where I would have tried to gather the troops, but I'm just not that guy anymore. It's too frustrating to change anyone else . . . I'm not even sure I'd want to change how anyone else sees a situation."

On whether he hoped that the original lineup would perform together at the event, McKagan said, "I think it would be killer. Do I hope to? That's a tricky question. It would be awesome. You have those day dreams like, 'We'll go up and play 'Nightrain' and 'Brownstone' and throw down the microphone and drop off! That'll be killer!' But I doubt that'll happen."

McKagan, singer Axl Rose, guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, and drummer Steven Adler will all be inducted into the Hall, along with later members, keyboardist Dizzy Reed and drummer Matt Sorum.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla … mID=171580

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

"fuck this shit" is kinda how I feel too when I hear things like that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's frustrating as all fuck.

To be honest a RRHOF performance isn't what I want to happen for a reunion anyway, I want something more insidious, like Izzy to blow into town and renew his friendship with Axl, talk him into having Slash over to sort out the nonsense once and for all. While hanging out reminiscing about old times they bust out some guitars...one thing leads to another...and next thing you know duff's around and the band records an EP.

yeah it's fantasy..but I dunno a one off show would be fun but i'm about the legacy...if you're going to do shit...record some shit.

I know I always say this, but in a reunionless world - I wish we could at least have friendship type collaborations. Like when slash does another guest-star album it'd be cool if Axl could do 1 track. Or hell - when Axl does a CD2 - if you've got people like bucket and robin in there who arn't " in the band " - let slash do a cameo for 1 solo. Add his touch to 1 track.

But I guess it can't happen.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don't think they will play, but I won't believe anything until it's over and done with.

Board footer