You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Gibbo wrote:

Welcome to the jungle

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City.

Brian May and Roger Taylor will induct them.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Olorin wrote:

That'll be the setlist if they do play. Which on some level is a shame, I've heard Slash and Duff belt out Paradise City on so many occasions now. It'd be nice if they surprised us with Rocket Queen or something. Or Civil War. Jesus, if they played that I would actually explode.

It'll be Jungle/SCOM/Paradise City though, you know it will.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

-D- wrote:

See, I go back and listen.. and I find it to be extremely overrated by GNR fans.

Its the Cheerleader or group effect:

Take a girl that is a 7, put her around a bunch of 1's.. she is gonna look like a 10.

Same here.. TWAT is good but is surrounded by so much mediocrity on CD.. it makes it seem legendary when if u listen to it mixed with other great stuff.. its still good but it misses that big moment... has that one nice run and some tapping stuff.. but for me.. just kinda leaves me wanting more.

NR, Slash has not 1, not 2 but 3 solos that take u over the top.

It's not just the solo on its own though. Every minute of TWAT is sublime. Robin's solos, the piano break, "Yeah there was a time/Didn't want to know it all/Didn't want to know it all and I don't want to know it now," Robin's lead-in to Bucket's solo, "I would do anything for yooooooooooou," and then...

bucket

I love that song. And pretty much the one problem I'd have with a reunion is that we'd never, ever hear it again. MAYBE we'd get a reunited band playing This I Love, because it's a pure Axl piano piece and Slash could just do his own solo. But TWAT? Nah.

Lomax wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Olorin wrote:

That'll be the setlist if they do play. Which on some level is a shame, I've heard Slash and Duff belt out Paradise City on so many occasions now. It'd be nice if they surprised us with Rocket Queen or something. Or Civil War. Jesus, if they played that I would actually explode.

It'll be Jungle/SCOM/Paradise City though, you know it will.

I have no interest in hearing deep cuts for a reunion. I want the classic songs by the classic lineup

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I think the flip side of the coin was that for as hungry as Axl was or seemed to be to find a way back out there, he showed major insecurites by A) trying to reboot the Guns N' Roses thing with a different lineup, but same brand, and B) continuing to just never ever look comfortable on stage without the old guys.

I actually think, and this is NOT a comment on the great abilities of all of the new band members over the years, but Axl never ever started looking comfortable on stage with the new band until DJ was brought on board in 2009, and even now 2011-12 Axl looks better and better with them. More comfortable.

I know Saikin felt Axl was distant with Duff in Seattle, but others felt the same about London 2010. But others said they were alot more interactive at Vancouver 2011.

Look at how Axl interacted with Izzy in 2006.

I know alot of people cry "reunionite" when people say it, and it's not exactly something you can nail down, but Axl acts differently with Izzy & Duff than he does with the rest from 2001-2007. He just does. There's a different bond with Izzy & Duff, that is non-existant with the rest.

DJ Ashba & Tommy Stinson (in the present) are the ONLY two new band members that i've seen Axl seem to have that same boyish "friend" bond on stage with. All smiles, all laughs, all fun, VERY comfortable.

Even Axl with Ron & Richard alot of the time seems forced. Put on. Axl has never had any sort of interaction with the backing band, including Dizzy which has been in the band for now over 20 years. Axl has NO interaction with him live.

And why do I say this?

Because if Axl Rose was never ever truely comfortable or safe with what he was doing (despite the spirit to WANT to carry on), it would explain why Axl hid in the AFD back catalog, continued to be hung up on the old band, and constantly never felt safe enough to truely push any version of the new band.

The irony is the 2009-12 GN'R is basically a rebooted version of the AFD/Lies/late 80s-version of GN'R and yet lookeythere... Axl seems happier than ever.

Why?

There's a method to his madness in this, and it ain't JUST because DJ & Tommy are really groovy guys.

Think about it. Tommy basically IS Duff McKagan (self-admitted). And all of the sudden Axl has a mock-Slash up there on replacement.

NOW he starts feeling safe.

*ding ding ding* we have a winner

Axl never ever did get past it. Now all of the sudden he's at the front of the line racing to the Hall.

Intercourse wrote:

It would be grteat if the band did change things up a bit more.

Back in the day, Axl used to call the tunes as he felt them which meant anything could appear..now it just seems to be a case of getting from A to B the same way each night.

Still, if its a good gig and people have a blast, good for him. However, like many here I won't be going to another GNR gig until the Boards light up with new tunes. I've had my fill of Jungle etc.. as aGNR anorack I need the deeper cuts to keep coming.

Still, that puts me in  a small minority..along with most of you!!

I will never ever get tired of Welcome To The Jungle. No matter how many times I hear it or see it or sing it... still holds the same power all these years later just like a beautiful wife.

I think this is a stretch.  I don't agree at all that the current lineup is a reboot of the late 80's version of GN'R.  That version did not have anyone like BBF or a Chris Pitman or Dizzy Reed.  Not even close.  I don't see where Tommy admitted he is Duff McKagan.  Yes, they have similarities in backgrounds in punk, but listen to Tommy's solo records and then listen to Loaded.  Not exactly the same thing.

Tommy has stated that the camaraderie is better now than ever within the whole band.  Maybe that's the reason why Axl looks more comfortable now, as opposed to some resemblance in styles and roles with the new guys as compared to the old guys.  Maybe they just legitimately all get along better now with DJ in the band.

Ali

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
-D- wrote:

See, I go back and listen.. and I find it to be extremely overrated by GNR fans.

Its the Cheerleader or group effect:

Take a girl that is a 7, put her around a bunch of 1's.. she is gonna look like a 10.

Same here.. TWAT is good but is surrounded by so much mediocrity on CD.. it makes it seem legendary when if u listen to it mixed with other great stuff.. its still good but it misses that big moment... has that one nice run and some tapping stuff.. but for me.. just kinda leaves me wanting more.

NR, Slash has not 1, not 2 but 3 solos that take u over the top.

It's not just the solo on its own though. Every minute of TWAT is sublime. Robin's solos, the piano break, "Yeah there was a time/Didn't want to know it all/Didn't want to know it all and I don't want to know it now," Robin's lead-in to Bucket's solo, "I would do anything for yooooooooooou," and then...

bucket

I love that song. And pretty much the one problem I'd have with a reunion is that we'd never, ever hear it again. MAYBE we'd get a reunited band playing This I Love, because it's a pure Axl piano piece and Slash could just do his own solo. But TWAT? Nah.

That I would do anything for u section is the part of the solo that comes up short. Love on SCOM for example during the WHERE DO WE GOOOOOOO how SLash is just going nuts on the guitar and matching Axl's intensity note for note.. On TWAT, when Axl comes in.. the solo drops down and loses momentum and never regains it.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Doing something totally off tangent, like 11dempire suggested,

CIVIL WAR &
YESTERDAYS

That be so old-school Guns, like Farm Aid.

With Steven on the drums, those two would close many old wounds, and Axl would have the final say with the lyric,

"Some things would be better if we'd all just let them be"

Just my $0.02.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What I think a Reunion show would be:

Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
November Rain
Paradise City

*possibility Matt Sorum takes over on drums at the start of November Rain*

*Don't Cry could possibly swap out November Rain, in order for Adler to play all songs*

What I wish would happen (other than a full show):

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Sweet Child O' Mine
Dust N' Bones
November Rain
Civil War
Yesterdays
You Could Be Mine
Estranged
Paradise City

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

What I think a Reunion show would be:

Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
November Rain
Paradise City

*possibility Matt Sorum takes over on drums at the start of November Rain*

*Don't Cry could possibly swap out November Rain, in order for Adler to play all songs*

What I wish would happen (other than a full show):

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Sweet Child O' Mine
Dust N' Bones
November Rain
Civil War
Yesterdays
You Could Be Mine
Estranged
Paradise City

Fuck Sorum. November Rain was kicking around long before he was ever in the band. Original 5 and no one else IMHO.

Board footer