You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: I want a reunion

misterID wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think that's something they would want as public knowledge, Axlin.

Than that's a BIG problem.

Dropping a line, on page 4, of a random thread on GNR.com, would be easy, not a big deal.

I think people overvalue Axl's stock with Uni at this point. If anything the reason they don't want to put up the money is that everyone knows the payday is the reunion, and just from a smart business standpoint, everything is gonna move like mud in regards to new GN'R issues with the label, whether it's "just not giving a shit", "not profitable", or "trying to blackmail Axl into a reunion". Either way, all are likely.

Which is where artistic integrity comes into place. No way, unless he's dumb as hell, Axl signed a contract that said "any of my recordings will be done under the GN'R name and released under Geffen/Universal".

If Axl wanted the music to happen that badly from an artistic standpoint, he'd quit Guns N' Roses, take the band name with him as he's the owner, reform the exact same band under the name "Axl Rose" and either release an all original, non-vault album independently or with a smaller label, as i'm sure there's a "non compete" clause in his contract with Uni.

jmho

No. I don't want people knowing all of my business, I doubt Axl does either. And the label won't get anything out of a reunion, theres no guarantee there would be a new album, and they'd still have to deal with Axl. It's Axl's fault there's any problem with the label. He took the money and didn't deliver the album in any kind of rational time frame. And yes, his contract probably said that.

But still, it really grinds my gears when I hear the "He's living off the band's legacy" or "drop the name." It's his band, for fucks sake. His legacy. People come across as seriously petty, entitled, obsessive little fans with that shit. That's not aimed at you, just the cover band comments. People need to give it a rest there. It'd be like me saying you are no longer allowed to use Axlin anymore because I like JR better. Fuck your history with it or sentimentality with it and what it means to you. It's what I want. ME! IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!! 16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Nice horseshit answer there.  If someone's sole motivation was to make money, common sense dictates they would pursue whatever means met that end to the greatest extent.  If he only wanted to tour off the old band's catalog and make money, then why bother turning in a mixed and mastered version of Chinese Democracy?

Look, his job is a musician, so of course he wants to make money at his job.  That is one of his motives.  But, to say that he's in it for the money, as if that's his only motivation, does not make any sense for the reasons previously stated.  You will ignore them, I'm sure, or find some creative argument around them that, as you said, ignores common sense.

Ali

16 You never cease to amaze with your tirless ability to spin in favor of the almighty.  yeah I guess if Axl was in it solely for the money he'd be pursuing whatever means met that end to the greatest extent..... He'll be handing in his resume to U2 any day now I guess.

the guy has been touring the old songs for how many years now? he's scaled back the CD era songs why? They're gearing up for another Euopean tour with no new album why? It's called MILKING THE THING DRY Ali. Do you know what that means? I'm guessing no.  He's touring this thing into the ground making as much money as they can without reuniting because if and when he ever releases another album sans Slash and the public hates it his ability to draw is gonna be eve less than it is now.

There's 3 albums worth of material.... "ALLEGEDLY" yet almost 4 years after the release of CD he's still just touring with an old band heavy setlist. So awesome that you reference an album release 4 years ago as proof of the creative and artistic progression of the band. 

IF this is how it continues to go it's clear  it's all about money and there is nothing creative artistically about it. It's nostalgia for the sake of the $$$$  Not sure why that's such a  hard concept for you and others  to grasp.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
misterID wrote:

And if we're being 100% honest...

The only reunion of a guy I want to see back in GN'R:

http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/l/les_pa … ethead.jpg

Outside an awesome nostalgia trip, this guy is the only one who would get me back to being THAT excited about GN'R's future.

Dude, are we still on that?

I LOVE me some Bucket, but he's FAR stronger outside of Guns than he is IN Guns (unlike Slash). Ever hear Electric Sea? Ever go to a Bucket live show.

He's fucking amazing

But Axl underused him, cut alot of his stuff on CD (did keep alot too), and didn't let Bucket shine.

Other than the TWAT solo, the retooled Nightrain solo, and maybe the outro solo on Shackler's... Bucket's CD stuff is kinda underwhelming.

If THAT is the future of the vault... keep it. I'd rather have Slash BACK in Guns, and have Bucket kicking ass solo like always.

Axl fucking blew the Buckethead chance in the early 2000's when he fucked off constantly and didn't pinch the turd on the vault. Bucket bailed and it was the best decision Bucket ever made.

While Axl is cumming over the Madagascar solo so much that he drowns it in samples, Bucket was recording Padmasana, thank GOD.

I agree 100% with all of this.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

For what its worth, DJ shares the new album sentiments expressed here:

BraveWords.com: I truly think the shows and new line-up are fantastic. The problem (if I can say it that way) is that for the branding - you haven’t made new music as this band. I think that would go a long way in changing the fans’ perspective. Is there any chance that you guys might get into a studio and record a new album?

DJ: “Yeah, there is. In fact, I didn’t join Guns N’ Roses just to come in as ‘a guitar player’.

BraveWords.com: Has Axl heard your songs?

DJ: “He has and he’s really excited. It’s just that we’ve been non-stop touring. That’s been one of the frustrating things for me. I really want to get into a studio more than I ever have.”

http://www.bravewords.com/news/179318

For the record, I found some of the UCAP tour comments funny.

For many years, we’ve been playing arenas and stadiums. So, it’s been a really long time since I’ve been on a stage that small, but it’ an intimate stripped down show. There are not a lot of big bombs going off and you’re running into each other, but it’s been so much fun because it brings you back to these days when you were trying to make it. It’s exciting.”

However,

The show is massive and a lot of times you just don’t know. There are 92 people on our crew. It’s a massive engine to move, but we’re ready as soon as we get the call.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I like DJs enthusiasm, but cant take him seriously I've been reading shit like this since 2000. Its not his fault, I'm sure he's full of hopes and dreams for GNR, but so were lots of guys before him hmm

Reading this barmy talk of Axl touring to fund the next album... fund what? He had 3 albums in 2002, he's got his own studio, he's got everyone he'll ever need on his payroll already, and also the kind of financial clout that all of us can only dream about... its bollocks imo, Axl hasnt released a new album or went to work on a new album because he just hasnt wanted to.

Anybody got a idea how many albums past and present members of GNR have released since 1993, it would be interesting to see how they all compare with each other.
I'm guessing Buckethead would be at the top of the chart since he churns out new albums religiously, but how do the rest fare?

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Nice horseshit answer there.  If someone's sole motivation was to make money, common sense dictates they would pursue whatever means met that end to the greatest extent.  If he only wanted to tour off the old band's catalog and make money, then why bother turning in a mixed and mastered version of Chinese Democracy?

Look, his job is a musician, so of course he wants to make money at his job.  That is one of his motives.  But, to say that he's in it for the money, as if that's his only motivation, does not make any sense for the reasons previously stated.  You will ignore them, I'm sure, or find some creative argument around them that, as you said, ignores common sense.

Ali

16 You never cease to amaze with your tirless ability to spin in favor of the almighty.  yeah I guess if Axl was in it solely for the money he'd be pursuing whatever means met that end to the greatest extent..... He'll be handing in his resume to U2 any day now I guess.

the guy has been touring the old songs for how many years now? he's scaled back the CD era songs why? They're gearing up for another Euopean tour with no new album why? It's called MILKING THE THING DRY Ali. Do you know what that means? I'm guessing no.  He's touring this thing into the ground making as much money as they can without reuniting because if and when he ever releases another album sans Slash and the public hates it his ability to draw is gonna be eve less than it is now.

There's 3 albums worth of material.... "ALLEGEDLY" yet almost 4 years after the release of CD he's still just touring with an old band heavy setlist. So awesome that you reference an album release 4 years ago as proof of the creative and artistic progression of the band. 

IF this is how it continues to go it's clear  it's all about money and there is nothing creative artistically about it. It's nostalgia for the sake of the $$$$  Not sure why that's such a  hard concept for you and others  to grasp.

Please stop with the setlist bullshit. He hasn't scaled back the CD era songs. The current tour is seeing 6-7 cd songs a night. Here is the breakdown of songs from each album for my show in Atlanta...JUST LAST WEEK!

7 AFD
2 LIES
7 UYI
7 CD

for fuck's sake, what do you want? I want new music too, but the current setlists for a GNR show are very balanced. Gnr has only had three, original LP recording sessions-AFD, UYI, and CD. There is an even number of songs from each....which is completely appropriate.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

He HAS NOT scaled back the CD songs.  That just is not true.

You did not answer the question about why release CD at all if the intent was solely to tour and make money off the back catalog.  Probably because it pokes a big hole in your theory.  Why would it be necessary to release that album if the intent was to make money off the old catalog?  It wouldn't be.  It's that simple.

And now, you admit you're putting the cart before the horse, saying "IF this is how it continues to go".  Like I said the other day, what if this tour is just a means to an end - raising money to as to fund completion of the album?  Then this isn't a greed-motivated effort then.  That's entirely possible.

Also, the sign of someone who has no leg to stand on in an argument is when they take potshots at the opposing party as opposed to making an topic point.:thumbup:

Ali

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:

Please stop with the setlist bullshit. He hasn't scaled back the CD era songs. The current tour is seeing 6-7 cd songs a night. Here is the breakdown of songs from each album for my show in Atlanta...JUST LAST WEEK!

7 AFD
2 LIES
7 UYI
7 CD

for fuck's sake, what do you want? I want new music too, but the current setlists for a GNR show are very balanced. Gnr has only had three, original LP recording sessions-AFD, UYI, and CD. There is an even number of songs from each....which is completely appropriate.

This.

If I had my way, they'd do ALL of CD every night, but that's not going to happen for several reasons. And even if it did, the complaining/nitpicking wouldn't cease anyway. I personally think it's ballsy as all hell for GN'R to keep material like TIL and Sorry in the set list every night. Not only that, but the crowds at the shows are really digging those tunes. If it were indeed the cash-grab nostalgia tour people keep claiming it is, it could and would be a far different story.

GN'R could get away with going out and playing the GH CD pretty much in order every night. That show would be less than half the length of the one people are seeing now and obviously be easier on everyone involved, not the least of which; their 50 year old singer who's still singing all the songs in their original key. But as is pointed out above, they're doing a far cry from that, including (generally) half of their last studio album that according to a lot of folks on here sold next to nothing and no one likes.

Bolded part rings true for me.  I agree with everything else you said, too.

Ali

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Didn't we discuss this in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and in 2011?

Board footer