You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Why Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses Kick Ass in 2012

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

AFD will stand uneffected by a CD3 or a Snakepit5 or whatever.

For me this doesn't apply to GNR as I love CD, but I can see for some people it could start to become an issue a few albums in. Although it's probably also relevant I guess that it's fundamentally a different band (aside from Axl) even though it has the same name while the U2 example given is the original line up.

It does interest me overall, how many times of feeling fan-raped by your product makes you quit. I have friends that follow WWE but have hated it for like 5 or 6 years in a row now but hang in there because they've watched for 25 years overall. But sooner or later it's going to need to "improve" (adjust to their liking) or eventually their credit gets too low.

Actually I think that's what it comes down to huh. How much existing credit does a band have.

Those are some great points.

I think the fact that it's Axl and a new band means that people can brand the new band as "bad" leaving the old bands legacy intact.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It's actually quite an interesting idea to me you guys have raised...low how many 'faulty' or 'bad' products does something have to have before you move away from a brand and then to what extent does the "bad stuff" ruin your appreciation of the good?

Metalalex's example of metallica is interesting. I know Metallica fans that loved Puppets and Justice and that sound and those people found the black album too rockish, then really disliked load and reload, saw no value in S+M, didn't like St Anger and LuLu is unspeakable. Death Magnetic helped a little, but I think there's a lot of those folks at the end of the rope.

Star wars is an example for me maybe. The original trilogy was fundamental to my child hood, something I considered a work of genius and one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time. Then they made the 3 new ones - which I won't derail the thread with a length exposition of why I don't like them - but lets just say I tried with all my heart to get into the spirit of it and love them - and other than a few fun moments - 95% of the films I disliked. I think it's worse than music too - as they've altered the whole universe and context the story took place in - so even when they don't directly effect the original they sort of do - whereas at least in music - AFD will stand uneffected by a CD3 or a Snakepit5 or whatever. But I must say the starwars stuff really got to a point where my interest in anything else new they make is minimal - and while I love the old films still - it's sort of bittersweet in my mind as they feel sort of defiled by what happened later on to them.

For me this doesn't apply to GNR as I love CD, but I can see for some people it could start to become an issue a few albums in. Although it's probably also relevant I guess that it's fundamentally a different band (aside from Axl) even though it has the same name while the U2 example given is the original line up.

It does interest me overall, how many times of feeling fan-raped by your product makes you quit. I have friends that follow WWE but have hated it for like 5 or 6 years in a row now but hang in there because they've watched for 25 years overall. But sooner or later it's going to need to "improve" (adjust to their liking) or eventually their credit gets too low.

Actually I think that's what it comes down to huh. How much existing credit does a band have.

Its not Axls new products that are get on my tits, its the lack of them. I'd be all over an Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge of The Sith production starring Bumblefoot, Stinson, Pitman... whoever.

Its just that having Bumblefoot, Stinson, Pitman... whoever, play out the classic parts of Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return Of the Jedi over and over and over and over and over, and calling it a progression of the Star Wars saga is guaranteed to eventually make even the most pious and basement bound nerd raise an eyebrow.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I can understand that...it's why i've always enjoyed the CD songs more live since the end of the old band.

Like Maddy at RIR3 was the highlight to me...and these days I have way more interest when DJ and Bumble bust out like Scrapped or Shacklers (or twat back in 09) than ISE and Jungle and stuff.

I think the new band shines on the Chinese Democracy material.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Trust me when I say that I realize how hard it can be to prove your point in these heated discussions without resorting to direct insults, but let's please make the effort.

Calling each other dumb, retarded, etc has never been the way we operate here and that's often helped elevate the level of conversation.

Don't talk down to me like that. The only reason I acted like I did was because Bono thinks he's all high and mighty. If he's going to treat someone else's comment like crap then I have the right to return the favor

First of all, I wasn't "talking down" to anyone, I was doing my job and moderating the discussion. Second, I was directing the post toward everyone insulting each other instead of having an intelligent discussion.

You specifically used the words I said. I'm gunna look at that like your talking to me. And shots only are thrown when someone starts it, which I didn't do

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

Bono your retarded. People that hated CD but complain about no new music from Gn'R don't deserve new music. Their are some very well done songs on CD and the people that hated on if are ignorant. ID's comment wasn't dumb at all

16 what a  load of bullshit. Seriously if people can't  comprehend that just because a person didn't like CD doesn't mean they can't be excited or look forward to the possibility of hearing new music you need serious help. I haven't really liked a NIN album since well pretty much Downward Spiral yet I'm excited to hear each new release Trent puts out. Guess that's beyond your ability to cpomprehend though.  People who didn't like CD don't deserve new music? 14  I've never heard someone slurping on Axl's junk so damn loud. Honestly. People who don't share you love for CD are ignorant? Unbelievable. That post you just made is absolute garbage.

Bro-mero wrote:

BTW, you call yourself an "ambassador for forum peace"? Hypocrite

Are you kidding me? Hypocrit? Dude do you not get irony? Is that completely lost on you. Check your head buddy cause clearly I've not been the "ambassador for forum peace" since day 1. Wow, the lack of common sense is mind blowing.  roll

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bono, for you...

valium_India.jpg

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

Giggity

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Bro-mero wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

The thing that gets me is that their are people complaining about the fact there's no new music who didn't even like the new music they just got from the band.

That's a fucking stupid thing to say.  Would be like if U2 released an album I didn't like and then just decided I'll never want to hear new music from them again. I havent' liked The Cure's last two albums and I am always excited for something new from them. Hilarious that you can't comprehend that people who weren't a fan of CD would be excited about the possiblility of new Gn'R music. Like I said it's a stupid comment.

Bono your retarded. People that hated CD but complain about no new music from Gn'R don't deserve new music. Their are some very well done songs on CD and the people that hated on if are ignorant. ID's comment wasn't dumb at all

I you're looking for the contraction, not the possessive version of your. And no need to get all derogatory. When you make a grammar blunder like that and especially calling him retarded and yet you don't know the difference, it makes you look like a moron. Moving on now...

Bono raises great points. I have always dug his opinion even when I am too lazy to sign in to respond and agree or even when I might disagree with what he says.

CD's mix was terrible.

I don't think we have to worry about new music. As Axl Rose has proven that he can't release shit like most bands and he really has nothing to say.

"I got in a fight in Sweden and I tried to bite a security guard in the leg a couple years ago, wah wah wah wah, baby please!"

I don't think one needs to operate on the whole get on board or fuck off bus.

It is like politics, I don't drink the kool aid or believe whatever a party I am associated with says.

People can still be a fan of a band and hate what they do or what they've released.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
Bono wrote:

That's a fucking stupid thing to say.  Would be like if U2 released an album I didn't like and then just decided I'll never want to hear new music from them again. I havent' liked The Cure's last two albums and I am always excited for something new from them. Hilarious that you can't comprehend that people who weren't a fan of CD would be excited about the possiblility of new Gn'R music. Like I said it's a stupid comment.

I you're looking for the contraction, not the possessive version of your. And no need to get all derogatory. When you make a grammar blunder like that and especially calling him retarded and yet you don't know the difference, it makes you look like a moron. Moving on now...

Bono raises great points. I have always dug his opinion even when I am too lazy to sign in to respond and agree or even when I might disagree with what he says.

CD's mix was terrible.

I don't think we have to worry about new music. As Axl Rose has proven that he can't release shit like most bands and he really has nothing to say.

"I got in a fight in Sweden and I tried to bite a security guard in the leg a couple years ago, wah wah wah wah, baby please!"

I don't think one needs to operate on the whole get on board or fuck off bus.

It is like politics, I don't drink the kool aid or believe whatever a party I am associated with says.

People can still be a fan of a band and hate what they do or what they've released.

Its been clearly established that any music Guns N' Roses makes (excluding some renunion thing), is going to have a very similar musical style to CD. Axl isn't going after making another AFD genre-wise.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:

That being said, people who disliked CD probably aren't going to like anything new as well because were in the "new GnR era". Sorry guys, this isn't 1987

What got me angry is Bono's false sense of Almightyness towards other forum-goers. He comments on ID's post making him sound like a complete jackass when in actuality, ID's comment was very logical.

Board footer