You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm sure lawyers could have figured out a way to make it work if they would have put an effort into it.  There's a middle ground somewhere.

What? Have a provision that says they can't fire him or have any say in financial matters? That's pretty much what he offered them. On financial benefits the terms seem to have been as fair as in the past.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

polluxlm wrote:

Axlin:

I know of most the stories you talk about, but I think most of them can be attributed to misrepresenting the facts, hide your part in vague descriptions and bad memory. They're all guilty of this, but the Slash thing is the only one I remember where you can say it's a blatant lie.

Everybody will construe their stories to serve themselves, but that's different from pure lying. That's why I'm asking for proof.

+1

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Not to me.

A lie is a fuckin' lie. It either happened or it didn't.

Ask 10 witnesses to a crime what they saw.

killingvector

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm sure lawyers could have figured out a way to make it work if they would have put an effort into it.  There's a middle ground somewhere.

What? Have a provision that says they can't fire him or have any say in financial matters? That's pretty much what he offered them. On financial benefits the terms seem to have been as fair as in the past.

I think he means that Axl should have negotiated a deal by representing both sides simultaneously. Or something like that. Realistically speaking, that was not gonna happen.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Remember though, it was an escape clause. Axl could leave with the name whenever he wanted. The old partnership continued to exist right up to the time that Axl executed the contract in 95.

Yeah sure, but that was just to ensure they'd have no recourse once reality became apparent to them. The clause as presented I believe was "if the band breaks up I get the rights".

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Not to me.

A lie is a fuckin' lie. It either happened or it didn't.

Ask 10 witnesses to a crime what they saw.

Those 10 witnesses were not all in GN'R.

And i'm not talking about varying stories from different people.

I'm talking about the same person, telling 3 different versions of a story of an incident.

Ask 10 different detectives what they think about that, and they'll tell you -- 'The suspect is lying'.

killingvector

polluxlm wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Remember though, it was an escape clause. Axl could leave with the name whenever he wanted. The old partnership continued to exist right up to the time that Axl executed the contract in 95.

Yeah sure, but that was just to ensure they'd have no recourse once reality became apparent to them. The clause as presented I believe was "if the band breaks up I get the rights".

It was more direct than that. Axl could resign from the original partnership at anytime and initiate the new partnership of which he was the only member.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Those 10 witnesses were not all in GN'R.

And i'm not talking about varying stories from different people.

I'm talking about the same person, telling 3 different versions of a story of an incident.

Ask 10 different detectives what they think about that, and they'll tell you -- 'The suspect is lying'.

Okay, fair enough. Bad analogy.

There's still a difference though. Like, they're not saying Axl held a gun to their head. I'll just take your examples at the top of my head:

Axl lied about CD. Axl's lied about One In A Million. Axl's lied about Slash's departure (based on Slash and everyone else's story, or is he telling the truth, and 5 other guys are lying?) Duff's story has changed a couple times dating back a decade or so, specifically on the time frame and how the name was lost to Axl.

1. If you're referring to the release dates I don't think those can be considered lies, or at least, can't be proven as such. There are a multitude of events that could change plans, and from what we hear from different people this is not at all an unreasonable assumption in this case. It's also a very stupid lie, cause you're 100% going to get caught.

2. Don't really know about this one.

3. According to you they're all liars, so why not? Not like they don't have reason to gang up on him. But this is a good case of where the stories can be attributed to what I talked about. I just don't see the damning evidence.

4. This could surely be due to lack of memory and filling in the blanks. The guy doesn't even remember he was in Chechoslovakia.

I'm with you that they skew and omit facts to paint things in a certain light. If you want to call that pure lies I don't have a real problem with it, but the point I'm trying to make is that after reading a whole lot of interviews and Duff and Slash books one of them comes off a lot worse than the others and that's Slash.

- he brags about driving piss drunk and deliberately hitting another car
- a lot of unanswered questions when one of his friends OD'd and died with him
- cheats on his wives and girlfriends, doesn't seem to think it's particularly wrong
- never takes responsibility
- afraid of confrontation preferring to talk behind the back and let problems grow and grow without ever dealing with them
- leaves the band as an ultimatum (leaving the rest of them, not just Axl, in the mud on the eve of a major follow up album),
- DIES in the middle of a tour,
- tries to weasel himself back into the band while still in VR, then lies to his new band and the press about what happened,
- stars in every commercial venture that's offered to him (bad rap, bad pop, tv commercials, mtv shows with fucking jamie foxx - playing GN'R songs no mind).
- and if you ask me, have done fuck all to evolve as a musician or even record decent material.

Loving his work is totally fair, I do to and I'd still love for him and Axl to record something again, but the way Axl is portrayed as this massive bad guy, ten inches above all the rest just doesn't fly. At the very least they're fipping a coin on the asshole factor.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Problem is, Slash knows how to play the game.  Axl doesn't, or at least he doesn't care to.  Age also might play a part.  It's deemed acceptable to more people to play the anti-establishment, take no shit, act like a dick role in your 20's.  Not so much in your 50's.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

That depends. Axl is still in GN'R, he is not. And we can be pretty sure he wanted/wants to.

But as far as the media goes, you're totally right. He's played that far, far better than Axl. I think it's becoming a little more apparent why he hates him so much. Axl is an exceptionally unpopular figure among the general public, and a large part of that has been facilitated by Slash. CD is not perfect, but it's also ridiculously underrated because of this situation.

Also, with Axl being mostly absent Slash pretty much had free reign with regards to the rest of the band. Perhaps that goes to explaining part of why there appears to be 4 against 1 in a lot of perceptions.

That being said, Axl revels in being the faultless victim. I'm 28 and I think that's a pretty immature position for somebody at my age, not to mention somebody in their 50s.

Board footer