You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Tom Cruise sings Paradise City

BLS-Pride wrote:

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Hey he doesn't suck on the track, I'll give him that. The backing band did a solid job with this song even though it cut out some of the other lyrics. I'm surprised that Axl or any of the GNR alumni allowed this song to be used for a musical soundtrack. The movie itself looks meh...! At least it's using music that I actually like to listen to even though it's all being covered by actors. Hopefully the end product doesn't completely suck.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

His voice ain't bad, but I don't really like it.  Whoever played lead on this did a good job of imitating Slash though.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Not interested in the movie and quite frankly am happy GnR isn't one of the main bands in the film. Its like Glee, only in theatres

Me_Wise_Magic

Yeah..Agreed. I was surprised with Tom's voice. I was expecting it to be abit deeper. He definitely has a hair metal kind of tone which would work with the film's singing parts. Definitely no Axl or Myles on the song! 14  Alot of music reviews panned his performance on Pour Some Sugar.. from Def Leppard on the soundtrack. 10 I guess we will see how it all turns out.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe Myles isn't so bad afterall...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic

That's why I keep up with Rotten Tomatoes; so I know which movies to save my money for that have great reviews or movies that interest me. This movie really doesn't interest me. I'm just not into musicals. If it sucks, then the world is still spinning.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That guitar player smokes DJ.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I went to see Rock of Ages the stage show cos I thought it was a fun idea to put classic rock anthems together and write a story around it.

Unfortunately...i felt the story was cheesey and way underdeveloped, the whole thing had a unfortunate camp and self-refrential thing about it. Much like steel panther - I love them but they're embarrassed to be hard rock so they mock themselves.

And I also felt it was made by people who don't quite GET IT. Like the kind of people who call GNR a hair metal band...they just see leather pants and big vocals and assume....

That said I've been hopeful that giving it the hollywood treatment would make it more fun. As the "acting" in the stage version here sucked as they'd clearly cast on singing ability...and I figured with a hollywood story upgrade it could get tollerable.

As for Tom. I expected this sort of performance. On one hand - he's not an 80s singer...so there's a limit to how good it's going to be. On the other hand - he's an actor and a lot of actors have some vocal ability (projection etc), he's got LOTS of money to train and coach for the role and just to be good at singing a hand full of songs, AND, he's got a shit ton of money to fix/autotune anything that goes wrong with 100 takes and post production editing....

So I was expecting a performance that doesn't blow me away but also doesn't embarrass him . I'll prob go see this for fun...but I think I'll want a few beers first out the front!

Board footer