You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

misterID wrote:

Okay, now it's getting silly. Dave Grohl is an awesome drummer and he makes songs that people like. But he's is nowhere near as good of a songwriter as Kurt was.

After Colour and The Shape, I couldn't tell one Foo Fighter song from another. There's nothing special about him as a singer/songwriter IMO.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Okay, now it's getting silly. Dave Grohl is an awesome drummer and me his songs that people like. But he's is nowhere near as good of a songwriter as Kurt was.

After Colour and The Shape, I couldn't tell one Foo Fighter song from another. There's nothing special about him as a singer/songwriter IMO.

I chose my words pretty carefully.  I'm not sure he's a better songwriter than Cobain, but he is more talented.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I remember people saying how great that album was, and I was excited for it... Then I listened to it and it just didn't do anything for me. I did like Dear Rosemary, though.

And I like the Kurt/Lou Reed comparisons, even though Kurt was way more pop oriented than Lou. BUt Kurt never claimed to be a great guitarist, he was great the way Lou is a great guitarist, that it's their own style that fits them.

Sky Dog wrote:

Oh, for God's sake, I knew I forgot one of my faves. Paul Westerberg is EASILY the equal of Cobain and has a much bigger body of work. Westerberg may the best singer/songwriter in the US since he came on the scene in 1981. Now, Westerberg/The Replacements are not nearly as popular as Cobain/Nirvana. But, they are just as influential and just as critically acclaimed. Westerberg trumps Stipe as well...in my opinion....mainly because he wrote the guitar parts and lyrics..not just lyrics.

Sky Dog wrote:

and being a great guitarist is not a requirement. Lennon wasn't a great guitarist either but he wrote very catchy licks/riffs just like Cobain and Westerberg.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Cobain is certainly one of the greatest songwriters in terms of melodies, but his lyrics are nothing special. Axl is (or was) way more talented in that department.

Let's face it, like Morrisson he enjoys the benefits of an early death. Imagine Axl dying in the early 90s. He'd be huge.

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Oh, for God's sake, I knew I forgot one of my faves. Paul Westerberg is EASILY the equal of Cobain and has a much bigger body of work. Westerberg may the best singer/songwriter in the US since he came on the scene in 1981. Now, Westerberg/The Replacements are not nearly as popular as Cobain/Nirvana. But, they are just as influential and just as critically acclaimed. Westerberg trumps Stipe as well...in my opinion....mainly because he wrote the guitar parts and lyrics..not just lyrics.

tumblr_lmpcktZFBv1qai0azo1_500.jpg

Sky Dog wrote:

GREAT PHOTO...I believe that is Tommy kneeling down. This is actually an interesting discussion as well. Much better than talking about whether or not Bumblefoot is happy. 16

johndivney wrote:

Yea it's great to read people talking about music they love.
& yea think its tommy. Think it came from his FB one time..
Tho if u'r talking about Paulie u have to talk about Alex Chilton, bar Townes n Neil he was my fave songwriter of the 70s & his solo output is exceptional too, & of course his performances in the box tops.

Board footer