You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

johndivney wrote:

that's nonsense.

big deal if he became axl rose ex-lead singer of gnr.
so what, people wouldn't buy his records cause he's not GnR?!wtf are you's talking about?!
he'd be in the same boat as slash.

he was just too pussy, too scared to try & took the easy money by taking the name.

even mick jagger & keef can release solo records for crying out loud. what a load of shit.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

There was absolutely like a 1 in a 1,000 chance of "Guns" being "Guns". But I do think that the name provided things to Axl, and I think it gave him a push. Or at least he thinks so. It's hard to know how it would have played out. I do think the reunion issue would be a larger shadow if there was no "Guns" and Axl Rose was just touring as W Axl Rose. He wouldn't have the "this isn't Guns!" stigma, but I think he'd have other things. Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

He might have been helped had he put out a solo record instead of laboring to either get the old band to work, or instead of trying to build a new band. Even if he ended up building a new band, at least he could have tried some things out as a solo record and did some solo shows.

Going from the zenith of popularity of the early 90's to zero in new millennium wasn't going to work out for ANYONE. A sacrificial lamb of a solo project in the mid to late 90's would have probably been good for all involved.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:

that's nonsense.

big deal if he became axl rose ex-lead singer of gnr.
so what, people wouldn't buy his records cause he's not GnR?!wtf are you's talking about?!
he'd be in the same boat as slash.

he was just too pussy, too scared to try & took the easy money by taking the name.

even mick jagger & keef can release solo records for crying out loud. what a load of shit.

Try reading the conversation again.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Oh, I agree that unless he decides to launch a solo career, you are correct that they can't seperate him from GnR, but it's still bigger than him.  I think we're thinking the same thing, but I don't think I'm saying it clearly.

At this point, maybe he can't even launch a solo record.

In my mind it IS too late at this point.  He's burned too many bridges with people over the years.  I think people WOULD have been willing to accept him as a solo artist a decade or so ago, but many people have washed their hands clean of Axl and could give 2 shits what he's up to.  So he might as well go down with the ship.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Trouble is he can't pursue a career as a solo artist now - because his solo project was the new GN'R. If he decides to launch himself as "Axl Rose, solo artist" now, people will just point out that he's essentially been doing that for the last decade.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

And back to Bumblefoot, he did a show with Tony Harnell in NY this weekend. He joined in on a version of Childs Play from 87's Tell No Tales. A merge between my two absolute fave bands GNR and TNT, fantastic.

417492_4068237937033_1084248868_n.jpg

539231_4068240817105_982995703_n.jpg

550997_10150979571887038_302515023_n.jpg

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I listened to CD at work the other day. Mind you I drive about 2 hours per day so I awas abe to get 2 straight listens in, and honest to God, this CD is pretty mediocre.

Now i am far removed from my "Fandom, blinders" of it and can hear it for what it is, this CD is pretty average.

Guitar work is complete shit except for a few solos but riff wise is it is garbage, there are very few 'leads" going on with the music worth mentioning. Catcher is a complete clusterfuck when it should've been a top 10 GNR song of all time.

half the vocal tracks sound like demos....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
-D- wrote:

half the vocal tracks sound like demos....

That's because they are. The laziest contributions to the CD project were from Axl himself. Listening to songs like Madagascar and The Blues makes you want to throw your stereo out the window.

honest to God, this CD is pretty mediocre.

Now i am far removed from my "Fandom, blinders" of it and can hear it for what it is, this CD is pretty average.

Guitar work is complete shit except for a few solos but riff wise is it is garbage, there are very few 'leads" going on with the music worth mentioning. Catcher is a complete clusterfuck when it should've been a top 10 GNR song of all time.

I could have told you this 4 years ago. 16 I don't even know the last time I listened to the album. Seriously. At least a year, probably longer.

The only song that shows the band's true potential is Riad and most seem to hate the song. The song is the perfect example of the absurdity of the project. 2001 lineup is on fire while Axl is either lazy or just doesn't give a shit.

I said it years ago and no one agreed but I'll say it again.......The project needed outside songwriters to speed up the process. Some of the vocals(Riad especially) are bordering on scratch vocals likely recorded around 2000 yet the exact vocal take was on the album 8 years later. While I like the Better demo, it is obviously two or three different instrumentals pieced together for Axl to come up with a song. Anyone doing that needs MAJOR help. While that 2001 lineup had massive potential, I'm starting to join those who say it was a mismatch of musicians that essentially hit a brick wall early in the sessions. I'd sell my soul for a Bucket or Finck interview where they come clean on the sessions from the 2000-2003 period.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

When I listen to "Better" now, i hear what u are describing. does sound like a few different songs mashed together.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think the vocals are lazy.

I think some of the things you guys hear - like the voices in Madagascar and Street of Dreams - are done for artistic effect as Axl thought it suited the song.

There are also vocal passages in the album (twat screams) that are stupidly hard to do.

Any other vocal issues are probably due to changes in Axl's voice.

He hasn't sounded the same live in a long time. And there's obviously a reason why some nights he comes out in mickey-mouse mode and other nights like in japan in 2010 he can scream the building down.

If they are the demo takes...it could well be because they turned out to be the better takes...

Have a real listen to Axl's voice in 2012, stepping back from the excitement of a show, once you listen clinically if you can find it in the mix at all, because in the last TWAT boot the vocals were totally absent in the verse almost,  you can hear serious issues - tell me which of the songs you think he could realistically nail better than the album? The album takes may not be perfect but he sounds more like Axl than he has live in 2 years at least.

I agree with the hodge podge guitar work. There's moments of excellence and moments of nothing much. And the whole thing is seriously edited and rejigged to a point where it's loosing it's feel. It feels sloppy in places, and I'm not a fan of the mix work either. So much seems buried all the time.

But the songwriting itself in terms of Axl's bits is amazing. Catcher is a genius song for sure. And it's not alone. Basically I think the production of the album kinda sucks - but the songs themselves are great.

Board footer