You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: "Better" Video Discussion

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The fact that almost nobody knew any of it happened supports his opinion.  You don't have to like it.  This is about an opinion of what constitutes accomplishing nothing

See? This is wrong, and actually makes no sense. Almost anybody... As in you and D on this board? And the opinion about what constitutes an accomplishment is wrong.

Do you want to create a poll to see who knew exactly what Robin's been up to?  Dude, just admit I'm entitled to my opinion and just because you disagree with it doesn't make it wrong.  You're taking this to retarded levels in a desperate effort for me to be wrong.  It's not going to happen.

If you want, but it's still meaningless, because believe it or not, there's a whole other world outside this forum with people who are aware of these things that you obviously aren't. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But you decided to enter into a discussion that you obviously didn't understand. He was even corrected by someone else.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nope, it's wrong. He made a statement that was factually incorrect. I corrected him.

No, in your opinion he's accomplished something.  In other people's he hasn't.  Your opinion doesn't trump everyone else's any more than mine does, so again, either we're both wrong or neither are wrong.  You make the call...I'm good with it either way.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

See? This is wrong, and actually makes no sense. Almost anybody... As in you and D on this board? And the opinion about what constitutes an accomplishment is wrong.

Do you want to create a poll to see who knew exactly what Robin's been up to?  Dude, just admit I'm entitled to my opinion and just because you disagree with it doesn't make it wrong.  You're taking this to retarded levels in a desperate effort for me to be wrong.  It's not going to happen.

If you want, but it's still meaningless, because believe it or not, there's a whole other world outside this forum with people who are aware of these things that you obviously aren't. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But you decided to enter into a discussion that you obviously didn't understand. He was even corrected by someone else.

LOL - The rest of the world has no idea who Finck is either unless they are a NIN fan.  Ok, maybe a few know that he got blown by Manson on stage.  If that's what you're known for, again, I think you're making D's case for him.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

This is annoying...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Robin was perfect for that line up. It just sounds like you just didn't care for it. neutral

I see it like this:

1. Robin does not have the chops to play old gnr material accurately.

2. The band mostly plays old gnr material

3. Robin is good at making industrial sounds.

4. With the exception of Shackler and Riad...the album is mostly UYI style epics not industrial.

Conclusion: While robin did some good things, he's overall not a good fit for the band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

2002 was the first wave of heat, of haters and the "they aren't Slash" bashing. It was much smaller in 2006 (even with Robin) and way Smaller in 2012.

But that's my point.

2002 = Guys who don't look at all rock - Robin as a goth and Bucket as..well...a scarecrow or whatever he is. Two guys who don't look at ALL like GNR and who also SOUND nothing like GNR. People complained.

2006 = Robin clearly playing better than in 2002. Robin looks like a rocker. Bucket not there. Bumble looks like a rocker. Bumble plays bucket's parts with a more sleazy rock feel (well considering he's a technical shredder at heart anyway). People complained less.

2012 = DJ in the band. Looks like an 80s rocker, stage blocking of slash, plays in Slash's style. People complain less again.

Bottom line is people wanted GNR to look and sound like GNR. And that's not what any of the new GNR line ups have really done.

Bucket was also a problem but one freak a band can maybe stomach especially cos he brought stuff to the table in that even if you want to hate him - it's clear he has shred chops better than most - it earns some respect.

But Robin's skills are all in areas not suitable for GNR. Maybe suitable for Axl's planned industrial project...but that's not what happened...what you get is these guys playing AFD...something not suited to him.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

2002 was the first wave of heat, of haters and the "they aren't Slash" bashing. It was much smaller in 2006 (even with Robin) and way Smaller in 2012.

But that's my point.

2002 = Guys who don't look at all rock - Robin as a goth and Bucket as..well...a scarecrow or whatever he is. Two guys who don't look at ALL like GNR and who also SOUND nothing like GNR. People complained.

2006 = Robin clearly playing better than in 2002. Robin looks like a rocker. Bucket not there. Bumble looks like a rocker. Bumble plays bucket's parts with a more sleazy rock feel (well considering he's a technical shredder at heart anyway). People complained less.

2012 = DJ in the band. Looks like an 80s rocker, stage blocking of slash, plays in Slash's style. People complain less again.

Bottom line is people wanted GNR to look and sound like GNR. And that's not what any of the new GNR line ups have really done.

Bucket was also a problem but one freak a band can maybe stomach especially cos he brought stuff to the table in that even if you want to hate him - it's clear he has shred chops better than most - it earns some respect.

But Robin's skills are all in areas not suitable for GNR. Maybe suitable for Axl's planned industrial project...but that's not what happened...what you get is these guys playing AFD...something not suited to him.

No, no, no.  ID doesn't feel this way, therefore it is all wrong.

otto

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

But that's my point.

I agree with most of your points. I just don't think that the acceptance was mainly by the playing style changing. Robin was still playing his Patience and November Rain solos in 2006 and still wearing a garbage bag as t-shirt ffs!

I think the band wasn't accepted and, as most things GN'R, relied on Axl to make them do it. But, now I think, not even Axl was accepting as they were and perhaps that's why he disapeared in 2002 ~ 2006?

Also worth noting, there wasn't only two freaks, there were a few issues with the band at 2002 and still to this day some are true:

- Pitman looked like he was out of Village People at Rio 2001
- Too many people on the band, easy to forget who was in or not, confusing
- People may say 92 stage band had as many or more. Well, ask anybody who were in the band besides Axl, Slash and Duff.
- Tommy Stinson always brought the band some respect, even in the industry insiders. Paul Huge, Robin Finck and Buckethead took away respect from the band.

Axl should've kept a simple line-up and add as many collaborators as he felt needed but didn't need to list everyone as band members, imho.

Sky Dog wrote:

Honestly, how many times can we have the same discussion? It is what it is and all responsibility starts at the top. Everything could have worked out better had Axl made better decisions on almost every level. You can't un-do the past. The only thing that matters is tomorrow.

otto

otto wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Honestly, how many times can we have the same discussion? It is what it is and all responsibility starts at the top. Everything could have worked out better had Axl made better decisions on almost every level. You can't un-do the past. The only thing that matters is tomorrow.

I agree on so many levels that, once highlighted, I'll shut the fuck up! 16

Board footer