You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Axl On Kimmel Oct 24th, Live Interview!

Aussie wrote:

I gotta say I don't see anything wrong with him doing this interview, the only negative I will probably find is that it's really soft and nothing is said.

As far as saying "he shouldn't go on this show but should go on that one instead" etc etc.  From an outside perspective (i.e. someone that doesn't live in the USA) I couldn't tell you how big Kimmel is or isn't, or if Letterman is bigger than Conan etc etc.  It doesn't make a lick of difference to me because I don't know where they all sit in the pecking order.  So I couldn't care less which show he goes on.  All I know is he's doing an interview which I think is a good thing, whether it be Kimmel or Sally Jessie Raphael interviewing him.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

going on Kimmel is great. The late night lineup in the USA is pretty straight forward.

You've got the two big guys Letterman and Leno in their time slot and then Fallon and Ferguson follow them. Kimmel comes on at midway through the Letterman and Leno shows I believe so they've all got their demographic. I'd say Ferguson is likely the least popular show and then maybe Kimmel as it comes on while Leno and Letterman are still on. My personal favorite is Jimmy Fallon. I honestly think the only one of the bunch that would make me scratch my head would be if he went on the Craig Ferguson show.  Kimmel and Fallon make the the most sense to me so.......

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i'm unconvinced.

i understand how talk shows work. how the running order of guests work. i know the formula. the larry sanders show is maybe my favourite show of all time ffs!

i still maintain this should be beneath axl.

chris rock & rod stewart are the only names you listed anywhere close to the star power axl rose & GnR carries - or should carry, & even then they're not really that close.

& the jools comparison is harsh considering it's solely a music show rather than an entertainment show.
but like i say, it has an exposure & credibility (however much that's unwarranted, btw) that you don't get from normal shows. from unknown artists to superstars, jools is a theater for musical competition & that's where it gets it's power. i mean at the end of the day of course it's about selling yourself, but the manner of doing it is much more palatable & exciting than an american talk show w/low ratings & reach.

Well, you can't please everyone.  When Axl DID release CD, he didn't do any promotion for it and people bitched about that.  Why isn't he doing interviews?  Why not go on Kimmel and perform?  As an aside, Kimmel is the BEST late night show as far as live performances go.  They have a stage setup outside the studio and bands perform 5 or so songs for the crowd.  One of which is televised in full.  They play another part of a song as they go off air, and the rest are available on the shows website.  BUT, GNR will not be performing so we don't need to worry about that.

Now Axl IS doing an interview, and it's "where's the new music?".  Again, I get it.  And sure it would make a hell of a lot more sense if they followed the typical script of releasing music and then promoting it.  So I get that you want new music.  We all do.  But even if he does put out new music, going on these late night shows is the place to promote.  So again, there's no problem with what he's doing here, outside of not having new material to push.

I think your anger was misdirected at Jimmy Kimmel.  He's done nothing wrong in this scenario.  He hosts a show, and ALL the big stars, except for Matt Damon, do his show.  Your angry with Axl, don't take it out on Jimmy.  I got your back Kimmel.  22

And I've said this already but I just want to make sure everyone is prepared for a very soft interview.  If you thought you got nothing out of the TMS interview, this will be like Axl answering what his favorite color is.  At least, that's what I'm expecting.  Jimmy isn't going to get all in depth and find out why Axl hates Slash, or hammer down when the next album is coming out, or go all Barbara Walters on Axl and make him cry.  It'll be a fun little interview, and hopefully Axl comes out as a regular, dare I say, likeable guy.  And hopefully the experience is good for Axl too, so we can see more of this down the road.

faldor

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i'm unconvinced.

i still maintain this should be beneath axl.

chris rock & rod stewart are the only names you listed anywhere close to the star power axl rose & GnR carries - or should carry, & even then they're not really that close.

I don't know man.  It may sound weird coming from ME, but I think you're overrating Axl just a bit.  Jimmy has had bigger stars than him on his show before, and he will after.  Let's be honest, how relevant is Axl Rose these days?  I'll be interested to see what the ratings are for the show that night.  There are certain guests that give these shows spikes in the ratings.  Howard Stern for example, has always done that for Letterman.  Letterman routinely loses to Leno in the ratings wars but when he has Stern on his show it's a different story.  Howard has a very loyal fanbase who tunes in to see what he'll do/say.  Axl does too, but I don't think it's as widespread.  I  have nothing to base that on, just a belief.  We'll see what happens.  An Axl interview certainly is rare.  But do people care outside of these boards?  That is the question.

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:

Let's be honest, how relevant is Axl Rose these days?  I'll be interested to see what the ratings are for the show that night.  There are certain guests that give these shows spikes in the ratings.  Axl does too, but I don't think it's as widespread.  I  have nothing to base that on, just a belief.  We'll see what happens.  An Axl interview certainly is rare.  But do people care outside of these boards?  That is the question.

another reason why axl shouldn't be on this show - he should go where there's guaranteed numbers/ratings so he doesn't shoulder the blame if no-one tunes in.

i know where you're coming from re: being relevant - it's like saying who's 'hot' right now in celeb culture, say the twilight actors would bring in larger ratings. but in terms of value, of cultural value, of rock n roll history, axl is a big fucking fish (literally & metaphorically tongue )
but it's not gonna be treated as such. he's lowering himself to yer average-status celeb by going on this show. what should happen is kimmel, or oprah or ellen or however many other talk shows outrate kimmel, these people should dedicate their entire show to axl & have them perform. that's the kinda respect axl should command. that's the way it should be played, on his terms. not having him relegated to the level of a 'normal' guest. he's better, more important than that!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm envisioning this:

Ladies and gentlemen, Axl Rose!
How you doing?
You got some shows coming up
Then there's a dvd.
Alright then.
Ladies and gentlemen, Axl Rose!

But people seeing him on tv can only be a good thing. If you don't follow the band this guy is a total recluse. The average Kimmel fan probably views him as some kind of Howard Hughes freak. This should help him appear more normal and familiar.

That Axl is willing to do this is also a good sign. Has he even done anything promotional like that since the 90s?

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I know it's asking too much, but it's nuts to me if Axl doesn't perform on Kimmel. Are there any other musicians that go on late night and don't do at least one tune before chatting?  I can come up with reasons for him NOT to, but none of them are flattering, and I still love the crazy mofo, as mind-bendingly frustrating as his career has been.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he WILL whip out a quick acoustic with some of the guys, but I think we all know it's not very likely.

faldor

faldor wrote:
smoke wrote:

I know it's asking too much, but it's nuts to me if Axl doesn't perform on Kimmel. Are there any other musicians that go on late night and don't do at least one tune before chatting?  I can come up with reasons for him NOT to, but none of them are flattering, and I still love the crazy mofo, as mind-bendingly frustrating as his career has been.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he WILL whip out a quick acoustic with some of the guys, but I think we all know it's not very likely.

There are "performers" that appear on these shows and don't "perform".  Comedians, musicians, etc.  It does happen.  It's more rare than someone not performing, but it's not as if this is the first time in history or anything. 

To join in with others, a performance would make a lot more sense if there was new music to promote.  Getting up there and playing WTTJ, while cool, would be confusing and pointless to many.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

is it on the 24th or the 25th? my cable box says the axl show is on thursday

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer