You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl On Kimmel Oct 24th, Live Interview!

johndivney wrote:

oh no that is the reason why he's on there.
sure he did the newspaper interview for promo when they played LA a year or so ago, he said as much in that interview.
but hey, shows have sold badly before & he didn't do promo so perhaps it's a step in the right direction?
i kinda think whatever way it worked before, the onus was meant to be on the promoter, the tour organizers, to sell the shows & promote the shows but for whatever reason these Vegas shows are different & GnR have to help sell it themselves. before they would get a standard rate no matter how many tickets sold & then would get a cut of the tickets after a certain number were sold or whatever? maybe it's different this time?

also, is that the biggest pop 4tus has ever received when axl said his name?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I am thinking the shows aren't selling that well and Axl was/is contractually obligated to promote these fuckers or they will be cancelled. No coincidence that Bumble was on the show. DJ and Dizzy on an LA tv news cast. Tommy doing a new interview...

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/news/2012 … residency/

sorry to be negative but that is my gut feeling.

The obvious reason for going on the show is to help get exposure and promote the upcoming residency. Not sure it has anything to do with poor ticket sales. It could, but that's pure speculation.  Artists promote their work. That's what Axl is FINALLY doing here. If ticket sales were really bad, wouldn't Axl be whoring himself out right now and going on more than ONE show?

On that topic. I kind of agree with John. While I'd love to see more of this, there's something special about this being such a big deal because of how infrequent it occurs. Maybe step up the promo when there is stuff to promote, but don't go on every morning radio show in the country to do so.

Also agree that Axl is in a better place right now and finally trusts management (he better). That is the reason he's out there in the spotlight a little more. Hopefully it stays that way. Also, the TMS interview was set up by their previous manager, Peter Katsis. So I'm not sure you can blame Team Brazil for the way that went down.

And finally, I'm pretty sure that question about what year he'd redo was meant to be in context of school. At least, that's how I took it. The answer though, was certainly more interesting than, "I'd like to redo the 9th grade". Goes right in line with his comments at the end of the Tokyo show (I think) where he said the last year was the "worst of his F'ing life".

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'll comment more later, but I thought he came off pretty well.  If he would do stuff like this, people would find him a lot more likeable.

There's no way people were cheering for guys in the band when they have no idea who any of them are, but I'll ignore that part of it.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I really wish he did shit like this more often.  I think a large percentage of the reason the general public talks shit about him is because nobody sees him in these sorts of situations. They see Slash... They see Duff... But Axl is either in his cave or onstage.

Doing shit like THIS is the ONLY way he can "move forward" without reunion cries. Be more visable... More interactive with casual fans... And... MOST importantly... Release new material. In one form or another.

Even just something as simple as releasing (for free) audio and/or video from TBSB. Create buzz. Even IF it's not 100% positive. His voice sounded like complete shit MANY times in the 80's/90's... He didn't give a shit THEN... Why would he now? He sounds fine. Even with strep throat. If he has a bad show here or there, who gives a fuck?  The days of releasing albums for purchase every 2 to 4 (10+.. lol) years, expecting people to buy millions of copies, with a minimal online presence, then touring for a year are OVER unless you're a big name Country act.  Record a fucking improv jam backstage and throw it up on soundcloud... ANYTHING. Trying to do the music business the old way just doesn't work anymore... Mystique  and being out of touch with your audience is a thing of the past. Someone in that camp needs to start running things with that in mind. Metallica figured it out... They record every show... Put 'em up online..  Youtube vids of them jamming backstage... All kinds of shit... And, to a certain degree, I think they need to be MORE in touch with fans and forward thinking. (Another live DVD? A movie? 2 more years before another album?) Beyond Magnetic and (the horrific) Lulu were steps in the right direction, regardless of what you think of them musically... What they're doing is par for the course now. Anything less is a waste of time.

This goes double for Guns N' Roses. Axl has spent the last 20 years either in seclusion, or just plain pissing people off.

If they TRULY want people to forget this: axl92 21 or even bucket or finck
..and get on board with THIS: axldjbumblefoot ....
A few minutes on late night TV is a good start... But, in this day and age... I expect a LOT more.

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There's no way people were cheering for guys in the band when they have no idea who any of them are, but I'll ignore that part of it.

yea we know that. the incongruity of that serves to highlight the phoniness of these chat shows, but there is an innate humour in it nonetheless. the show-runner/producer off-screen whipping up the crowd to cheer, or the applause ('apple sauce') sign flashing.. it's all part of it, but it is still funny to hear people cheer when 4tus' name or tommy's name is mentioned.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

yea we know that. the incongruity of that serves to highlight the phoniness of these chat shows, but there is an innate humour in it nonetheless. the show-runner/producer off-screen whipping up the crowd to cheer, or the applause ('apple sauce') sign flashing.. it's all part of it, but it is still funny to hear people cheer when 4tus' name or tommy's name is mentioned.

Yes, but at the same time, I'm glad he got what appeared to be a well deserved warm reception (even if it was manufactured to a point).  He's Axl fricken Rose.  I know I'm pretty hard on him, but he should be given some respect when he's doing some of the things people have asked him to do forever.  It doesn't matter why he did it; what matters is he did it, and he came off very well; and while a couple times I thought he was headed down that road, he never bashed Slash or the old band.

Obviously I'd rather have seen him embrace the old band for what it was while highlighting this group, we knew that wasn't going to happen either.  Axl was charming and took everything well.  I thought he did about as well as can be expected.

Edit: did I just defend Axl?

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Yes, but at the same time, I'm glad he got what appeared to be a well deserved warm reception (even if it was manufactured to a point).  He's Axl fricken Rose.  I know I'm pretty hard on him, but he should be given some respect when he's doing some of the things people have asked him to do forever.  It doesn't matter why he did it; what matters is he did it, and he came off very well; and while a couple times I thought he was headed down that road, he never bashed Slash or the old band.

Obviously I'd rather have seen him embrace the old band for what it was while highlighting this group, we knew that wasn't going to happen either.  Axl was charming and took everything well.  I thought he did about as well as can be expected.

Edit: did I just defend Axl?

Buzz, you just made me cry, that was the sweetest thing I ever read.  16

But seriously, great to see him doing this and I hope thses kinda things happen more.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'll comment more later, but I thought he came off pretty well.  If he would do stuff like this, people would find him a lot more likeable.

I don't know, it seemed to me that the crowd was filled with GNR fans. That's why I thought he got such a great ovation and the other members did too. I could be wrong, but I know some GNR fans did get tickets for the show when they found out Axl was going to be on. Even if there were only dozens of fans in attendance that would be enough to drum up noticeable applause for the band members.

Sky Dog wrote:

Faldor, of course I am "speculating" on ticket sales. I just think they have over-saturated the US market, and specifically the Vegas market, over the last year. We will see.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer