You are not logged in. Please register or login.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

Re: Respect

supaplex wrote:
Stacey wrote:
supaplex wrote:

p.s. bono's thread was asking for jokes/foul language by the nature of the subject so that's not a very good example.

Not true. 2

He was talking about dating, which doesn't automatically mean JUST sex or JUST talking about a woman in an objectifying way. It could very well have been a productive conversation without the degradation.

and i completely agree but... 'boys will be boys' and it is to be expected that a few comments deemed inappropriate will find their way in such a thread given the fact the majority of the members here are male.

don't tell me you were surprised to find such a language in that thread. offended, yes, but surprised, i doubt it. especially since it's the internet and people tend to be a little more liberal(?) with their language.

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
supaplex wrote:

given the fact the majority of the members here are male.

You're basically making it sound like I'm not welcome here because I'm a girl, and if I don't like the language, I should leave.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Stacey wrote:
supaplex wrote:

given the fact the majority of the members here are male.

You're basically making it sound like I'm not welcome here because I'm a girl, and if I don't like the language, I should leave.

18 where did i say that?

you're taking a part of the phrase out of context. i said that in the respective thread it was to be expected to find some foul language because most of us are male and, in general, men make use of foul language a lot more than women.

i never said you should leave because you are a girl.

i hope i made myself clear this time.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Will wrote:

We could setup a censored word/phrase list in the forums code to automatically make us sound more gentlemanly smile Sounds easier than being polite tongue

I would like to *massage* Taylor Swift in every *starfish*. Also, have you guys seen the new Soundgarden video in The Black *Starfish*?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
smoke wrote:

I would like to *massage* Taylor Swift in every *starfish*. Also, have you guys seen the new Soundgarden video in The Black *Starfish*?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This IS a Guns N' Roses board, so it comes with the territory tbh.

One of the most mysognistic bands in the history of rock.

Ummm....

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:

You guys. I don't think you're getting my point here.

I'm really not worried about the words you're using. I'm offended by the way you're using them.

Is that not clear?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It sort of comes down to what someone reads into an expression of male sexuality.

For example: If I say that Celebrity X has a great body, i'm expressing that as a man I'm turned on visually, and she has attributes that I find attractive. Does that mean that she is ONLY those attributes? No. Does that mean she exists just for my arousal? No. Do I mean that she is worthless in other ways? No. It simply means that because I've never met her - I can't post about her mental skills, or her personality, or anything else - just what is visually obvious to me and what I like about that.

I'd pose the question - if I say X has a great body part - why should it mean I disrespect everything else about her? I think Slash has great arms, doesn't mean I don't think he's also a thinking breathing feeling person, and likewise there's women on TV who I think have a great body or whatever...doesn't mean I don't think they're also functioning on a deeper level. I don't see why it should be considered inherently disrespectful.

Men and Women tend to be attracted in different ways. Most guys are stimulated visually - so if we see various body parts our brains turn to sex, not every guy but MOST, likewise there's a set list of things that tend to attract women, not all but MOST, will be attracted to certain things like confidence and so on. It's less obvious...but it's there.

So really when a guy says he likes X's breasts or whatever....it's not much different to a girl finding boy Y sexy because of his confidence and so on. It's just humans expressing our sexuality and what we find attractive.

You can bet I'm sexually attracted to my partner. And you can bet that it doesn't mean I respect her less.

So i think we either need to decide if we want a PG site where people keep their sexual thoughts to themselves or we just accept that everyone is turned on differently.

I think the mistake is to assume a sexual remark says anything about respect - unless it explicitly says that a person has no other attributes or is just a vessel for sex or something that's truly disrespectful - but males expressing that females bodies are attractive shouldn't be taken the wrong way.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong Stacy and as I've pointed out that isn't my way of speaking in regards to women and never has been. But to be offended by how words are being used on a  Gn'R board seems a tad hypocritical to me. Just being honest. I could see if we were posting on a  U2 site or a Coldplay site or something like that where the sex of the members is split more evenly or even on a  Taylor Swift site where it's predominantly female but this is a Guns N' Roses site dedicated to a  band that has long been known to have mysoginistic type content in the material. I'm not saying it's  right or wrong but I guess I am saying given that it's Gn'R and given that the membership here is overwhelmingly male  I find it slightly odd to be offended by the content of certain posts in this regard. yes this forum is open to all people male and female but really this is almost as close as you can come to walking into the men's locker room. If you walked into a men's locker room and told the guys to please watch the language I'm not sure the response would be positive.

Again not saying you're wrong just saying I'm not sure why you'd expect anything other than what we have. Normal conversation with the odd sexualized comment directed at women.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I've stayed out of this thread till now because I thought it was an Aretha Franklin thread or something........  That was a joke.

I try not to use vulgarities as best as I can, even when talking about a nice looking lady.  See?  Like that.  I'm sure I've slipped up once or twice, but I do make the effort.  Some people are a little looser with the language, and that's fine with me.  Like others have said, honestly I WISH more girls posted on these boards, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.  Especially here, since it's a smaller community.  So honestly, most of the time I forget that females could even be reading what I write, or just don't think about it.  I'm sure others do the same.  It's certainly not meant as a slight.  Trust me, you'd be horrified if you had the pleasure of listening in to a guys night out conversation.  Unless they were talking about sports.  Then you'd be horrified for a different reason, assuming you don't love sports.  That's kind of what it gets like around here.  I guess we forget there are ladies around.  I don't think anyone is trying to be disrespectful.  Maybe we could all try a little harder to watch what we say, or say it in a less vulgar manner. 

Now, back to Aretha Franklin.  Now there's a hot piece of,,,, whoops!  This could be harder than I thought.

Again, a joke.  Not to make light of the situation.

Board footer