You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Commissioner, Women’s Shelter Call GN'R Concerts Ads 'Inappropriate'

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

shocker

Nothing to do with symbolism, D.  It has to do with trying to make a poor analogy between some scene that could never, ever happen in the real world and something that has happened many times historically, and could still happen, and the appropriateness or lack thereof.

Ali

Ask a woman that has been raped if it matters what is doing the raping, then get back to me.

O.k., only if you first ask a black man that has had family members experience violence driven by racism or experienced it themselves if there is a difference between the offensiveness of a completely fictitious cartoon painting and a scene depicting a black man being hung and get back to me.:thumbup:

Ali

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
-D- wrote:

shocker

Nothing to do with symbolism, D.  It has to do with trying to make a poor analogy between some scene that could never, ever happen in the real world and something that has happened many times historically, and could still happen, and the appropriateness or lack thereof.

Ali

Ask a woman that has been raped if it matters what is doing the raping, then get back to me.

Who said it was intended for women to like the painting? Maybe the intention is for them to be reviled. Maybe the robot is a comment on male culture and intention. Ever think of that?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

Who said it was intended for women to like the painting? Maybe the intention is for them to be reviled. Maybe the robot is a comment on male culture and intention. Ever think of that?

It doesn't matter what it is; it only matters how it's being viewed.  I didn't start the pussification of America, but this is where we're at.  If it offends someone or a group, they are going to bitch and they are going to get support.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

O.k., only if you first ask a black man that has had family members experience violence driven by racism or experienced it themselves if there is a difference between the offensiveness of a completely fictitious cartoon painting and a scene depicting a black man being hung and get back to me.:thumbup:

Ali

I'll drive right down to the hood and ask that very question right now.  I'll be sure to carry a bullseye so they don't have to aim randomly either.

Or I'll say since I know enough black people that they would be equally offended by the representation regardless of if it was real or a cartoon.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

That's a very interesting point.  It could be Robert Williams was commenting on a programmed, robotic-like predisposition towards sex and/or violence.

Ali

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I remember my cousin used to have an alternate version of that poster which had "Guns N' Roses Was Here" added to the top. Now that would be inappropriate.

The artwork is kinda pointless and speculative, but it's no more demoralizing than a daily newspaper article talking up some gruesome rape.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

So where's this band at?   Just a tribute band?!   Not trying to troll, just haven't followed them at all.  Whipping out an old animation from their first album 25+ years ago for marketing purposes though.....   I guess they ain't playing much else aside from AFD & UYI.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Well what they're doing Snow is supposedly doing an AFD anniversary show, no guests, just AFD played from beginning to end.

Thus the recycled original artwork.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Now it's just fucking stupid.

Board footer