You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: 11-21-2012 The Joint, Las Vegas (Being filmed in 3D)

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The cleaner tone sounds terrible.  It almost sounds like he's singing falsetto (which I don't believe he is, it just sounds that way).  It's bad...really bad.

Don't agree it all.  Though, I can understand why some people prefer the raspier tone, especially given that was historically the tone he used on the AFD and UYI records.  I can also understand how the raspier tone works well with more aggressive songs, too.  I never did mind the raspier tone on the more aggressive songs, but never really liked it on the ballads.

And, no, he's not using falsetto.  If you listen to the beginning of "Better", that's his falsetto.  It has a much lighter, airy tone.  He's using more of a head voice.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^

I think it's Axl going through the motions. You can't blame it on age, because he sang this exact same way in 02 and came out as a bad ass in 06. Didn't he have the rasp in 09? Yeah, I think it's a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring.

After years like 2003-2005, 2008-most of 2009 and most of 2011, I would say not touring is a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring. 16

Ali

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

And, no, he's not using falsetto.  If you listen to the beginning of "Better", that's his falsetto.  It has a much lighter, airy tone.  He's using more of a head voice.

Ali

You mean like what I said in the post before this?

Ali

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ali

You mean like what I said in the post before this?

I know your posts are tremendously insightful and articulate, but that does not mean everyone single one is read 16

But, yes, now that I see it, like your other post.:thumbup:

Ali

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

How long until this project gets shelved?

In all seriousness though, hope this does see the light of day.  Video looked great.  I can take Axl sounding like that.  Wasn't vintage for sure, but it was the LAST song of the night.  Maybe/hopefully he had some finer moments earlier in the evening.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
otto wrote:

Some of the videos are starting to leak....
Paradise City:

Footage looks awesome and NO OVERDUBS!

Footage is awesome, band is awesome...Axl is abysmal. If they release this they should fix his voice up and save him the embarrassment. I'd absolutely not be interested in listening to this for 3 hours.

I saw Crue once...because Vince Neil sounded like this, and I swore I'd never waste my money on them again. Their band was fucking ace too, really tight, but his performance was lazy and an insult to the fans. Sadly, Axl isn't much better here.

I guess if it was really loud and I was there, maybe it would be different. The dancing girls were nice though.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Cramer wrote:

I saw Crue once...because Vince Neil sounded like this, and I swore I'd never waste my money on them again. Their band was fucking ace too, really tight, but his performance was lazy and an insult to the fans. Sadly, Axl isn't much better here.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the Crue these days too. The band is tight as hell, but Vince sounds like shit.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

The Iconic Guns N Roses performing GNR's classic "Paradise City", before a sold out crowd live at the Hard Rock Las Vegas, during the Band's highly acclaimed Vegas residency, "Appetite For Democracy" 3D Concert Film is scheduled for worldwide release in Cinemas,TV Broadcast and DVD release in 2013 . GNR's first Live Concert Home Video -DVD release in over 20 Years ! Produced by Barry Summers
The final DVD and Cinema version will be mixed in stereo and 5.1 surround. Musically, this is a very tight live performance. We look forward to you experiencing the fully mixed and edited concert film/ DVD ! For now, enjoy this rare captured treasure from a true Legend and great band ! (unmixed)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My problem is that I feel artistically the clean tone removes a lot of the grit in the song and doesn't suit the lyrics.

Who would strap that friendly sounding man into a chair into the city's gas chamber? It's supposed to sound edgy.

"Are you blind" was the only line that had any of the danger that used to drive the song. Likewise when u say "oh yeah" in a smooth rounded voice...it no longer sounds like the vocals are commanding the guitars....(consider the "take it" in nighttrain") it sounds like they're just irrelevantly floating on top.

When it comes down to it - there's an artistic reason I liked the rasp.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Wow. The pro shot footage is awesome but that's about it. The performance by the band was pretty meh in my opinion and I hated the outro to be honest. Axl sounds like absolute shit in that clip. Does not come off well on film in my opinion. No doubt a millon times better being there in person.  If I were to rank that video out of 10 I'd give it a solid 3.

Guns N' Roses aren't even the best band performing Guns N' Roses songs anymore.  This is so much better hmm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH3efkWWDo

Board footer