You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: McCartney to Front Nirvana Reunion TONIGHT- NEW SONG

smoke wrote:

Same here. Paul's done some great collaborations, even in the somewhat recent past, but this is by far the coolest in concept.

Grohl just scores the best dudes, and it always cracks me up when the older guys say they'd never really knew who he was til they got together. John Paul Jones said the same thing.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, am I the only one that didn't really hear any Nirvana in that new track... sounded more like something Foo Fighters would cook up

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I haven't for a second looked at it as a Nirvana reunion. I mean, I realize the import of those three guys playing together, but it's beyond silly to me to pretend Paul is "replacing" Kurt. It's offensive to Paul, for one thing. If they toured or put out any new material, I'd be shocked if they billed it as Nirvana. Dave strikes me as more imaginative than that.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Agreed.  It's really insulting to everybody to call in Nirvana.  I love Paul, but he's not Kurt any more than Kurt is Paul.  Very different talents; very different writing styles.

I think Dave has been involved with a few things related to Paul...it's pretty clear he's an admirer.  He played with him at an award show (grammy's?) recently and I'm pretty sure I remember him playing at a concert that was in honor of Paul in the realtively recent past.  I think he's a Beatles/Paul fan that is honored to be working with an idol and Paul seems to respect his talents (and why not, Dave is pretty talented).  Add to that the fact that Paul isn't one to shy away from publicity, and this makes total sense.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I look at it as Nirvana, but only in concept.

The bottom line is these things have to move on. I miss Layne, and Alice In Chains will never be the same without him... however it's not like I look at the current AIC as "Jerry Cantrell solo". That's just not fair. Freddie Mercury was THE rock God of them all, but in fairness, Queen is allowed to live on if Roger & Brian want to record and tour without Freddie & John.

I don't see where fans think they can dictate what a BAND does with THEIR legacy. If Dave & Krist want to add Pat to the official roster and have Paul replace Kurt and tour as Nirvana...

Why is that any different than what AIC did with William DuVall? Just because it's Paul McCartney and not some nobody doesn't change a thing.

Everytime I see them perform, yes Martin Short introduced them as Paul McCartney on SNL, and they were special guests on Paul McCartney's set on 12-12-12...

But how fair is it for NIRVANA to become Paul McCartney's backing musicians on his touring act? They carved their own niche.

In the end, I think they'll push forward with this because they all seem to like the idea, but I think they'll call it something else.

However... what is it really? They can call anything they want, in the end we'll all know what it is... "Nirvana with Paul McCartney on lead". That's what it is.

And when I file their songs away on my MP3 player -- it's already classified as "Nirvana". Why shouldn't it be? The band is allowed to live on.

P.S.

I see this different, because Kurt died, Layne died, Freddie died. The GN'R situation is different because they are all alive and Axl forced them out/they quit, whatever the argument is. Those guys are alive and have CHOICES. Nirvana might want to tour as Nirvana, but because Kurt is gone they have been robbed of that choice. So I see it different. If they want to tour and call it Nirvana and cut albums as Nirvana, I don't look at it as MY place to tell them they can't. That's up to Dave & Krist, but ultimately in the end... I see it as exactly what Sir Paul called it -- a Nirvana reunion.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh and btw, if they tour... i'm fucking THERE.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think when you become huge - even if you don't want it - you eventually crave that spotlight and what came with it as you get older.  It's human nature - it's one reason nostalgia acts tour and it's one reason people go to see nostalgia acts.  It brings back a different time for a couple hours.  For the artist, for a couple hours, they get that rush again.

I think that's the motivation for Krist and I outlined Dave's motivation earlier.  I could be way off...what do I know, but it sounds half way believeable.  They obviously could have done this without someone as high profile as Paul, so there's more to it than just pulling a Blues Brothers and getting the band back together.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. Dave & Paul already have their thing, but with Krist's involvement and the sacredness of the Nirvana name, I don't see why they would get back together unless they had new music on their brains.

The whole concept is weird ass to me still, but then again the more I think about it, Paul is THE ONLY guy I would want writing with Nirvana on the planet when I think from a "let's go into the studio" standpoint.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Agree on Axlin's points. There is no down side to this situation.  I WANT TO SEE THIS TOUR HAPPEN AND ROCK OUT!

Board footer