You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Anybody that thinks gun control solves this needs to have their head examined.

So if we enacted gun laws that stopped the sale of guns that spray out 50 bullets at a time that would not make a difference?

If we enacted laws that required stricter mental health evaluation that wouldn't make a difference?

Surely even you could understand these simple ideas.

Understand?  Yes.  See any impact?  No.  Less kids accidents maybe.  That's it.  The bad/crazy guy will always get the gun.  Well, maybe in 100 years or so it will become more difficult, but it will take that long at the very least to impact the amount of guns out on the street just illegally (not even counting the legal ones).

You are either stupid, stubborn or both.

Do you also think that making seatbelts mandatory did nothing? Yes people still die in car wrecks, but how many more lives did seat belts save in the meantime?

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

They are going to get a gun no matter what.  It's not like the illegal ones are hard to find.  Clearly you have no clue as to the situation in the US.  You guys want these things that work great in theory, but do not work at all in practice.

Want proof?  Let me know how the war on drugs is going.

You didn't answer my question.

Name one instance where somebody with a weapon, other than a gun, walked into a public place and murdered 20-30 people.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's a fact, it's not an argument at all.  I don't own a gun dude.  I don't want to own a gun.  I couldn't shoot someone even if I had to.  That doesn't blind me to the fact that making a law changes nothing.

You're right, it wasn't an argument.

Again, tell me that seat belt laws don't save lives. Or that countries with strict gun laws don't have less murders. How many murders in Japan last year compared to the US?

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Not even worth a response.  The culture is what it is.  Passing a simple law won't change that.  Come up with a bett plan than plassing a law that has no chance of changing anything.

Who said it would be simple?

Why is requiring a thorough background check something that you are so opposed to? Mental evaluation before handing somebody a mini murder machine?

The point is that guns are much to easy to get a hold of in this country and we should make them much more difficult to acquire.

Not a tough concept.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

On a serious note, how absolutely fucked up is it that 20 kids were killed. It's bad for all the people that were killed, but 20 kids between 5-10 years old, that is absolutely terrible....!!! sad sad sad sad

It's a tragedy. Even more so that we have apathetic do-nothings who think there is no way to solve it. Their solution to dead kids all over the place is "Ah...fuck it."

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

LOL.  Not even worth a response.  The culture is what it is.  Passing a simple law won't change that.  Come up with a bett plan than plassing a law that has no chance of changing anything.

Who said it would be simple?

Why is requiring a thorough background check something that you are so opposed to? Mental evaluation before handing somebody a mini murder machine?

The point is that guns are much to easy to get a hold of in this country and we should make them much more difficult to acquire.

Not a tough concept.

It's surprisingly hard. It seperates you from the rest of the western world greatly.

For me, bit like the world of Islam such as Iran, Syria, Egypt - all the nice holiday places. Partly I look at them as backwards, and clearly not developing in the right direction. A bit like that with guns and the US for me. That's why I prefer Canada 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Back to the tragic events of yesterday for a moment.  I heard on the news this morning that the mother of the shooter was in fact NOT a teacher at the school.  I was wondering all day why she wasn't at the school if she was indeed a teacher there.  But according to the superintendent of Newtown schools, she was not part of the faculty.  Which leads to even more questions of why he did what he did, where he did it.  Not that the answers will provide any comfort, as you can't possibly make "sense" of any of this.

On the subject of gun control.  I can see both sides of the argument.  I do think people outside of America tend to think it's an easier fix than it would be.  However, I also don't agree with those who think changes would have no impact.  Like Buzz said, it might take 100 years to see even a slight impact, but that's better than nothing as far as I'm concerned.  This stuff has become WAY too commonplace.  Something has to be done.  I obviously don't have the answer as to what that is, but we can't afford to sit idly by when these tragedies continue to happen every few months/years.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I don't see it as an easy fix at all. But it's either doing something or just let it go on like this.

The argument that one needs to look at peoples mental illnesses instead of guns is like saying the States have more loonies and dumb people than the rest of us, which clearly is extremely silly thing to say.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

One more note/question about the shooting, as I know NOTHING about guns.  I heard he left the Bushmaster in the car, which I believe is a semi-automatic weapon but used the 2 handguns.  Are those semi-automatic as well?  Just wondering, with all the semi-automatic talk.

DCK

DCK wrote:
faldor wrote:

One more note/question about the shooting, as I know NOTHING about guns.  I heard he left the Bushmaster in the car, which I believe is a semi-automatic weapon but used the 2 handguns.  Are those semi-automatic as well?  Just wondering, with all the semi-automatic talk.

Know nothing about guns myself. Never touched one, never saw one, never thought of having one. What would I have a gun for? I have no desire to go hunting either.

Board footer