You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: www.paradisecity.com

Axlin16 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:

It's also worth noting that with these Backplane sites, the artist is supposed to engage with the fanbase quite a bit. Maybe this is why they've said Slash and Duff might post, though I can't believe they are being serious. Reading how Gaga operates on her site, it'll be interesting to see what Axl does.

Thanks for digging up all that info. For me personally, I've been screaming for years that Axl needs to find a way to be relevant again and embracing technology would be a big step in the right direction.

This is pretty much my feelings. I doubt it'll happen, but at this point i've said before it's the only way. Axl needs to embrace who HE is and fucking forget everything else, because it will take care of itself. Sure he still needs to drop singles on rock radio and put songs on iTunes, and do exclusives n' shit like any other. But he's waiting so long, that even by the time he released CD, the album's release on disc was dated.

Axl could make a big splash in a big way if he could get his name attached to something on the cutting edge. But I understand at this point that's a bigger pipe dream than a GN'R reunion. Axl's got too much quit in him for that to ever happen.

I do feel Axl needs to have Team Brazil looking into newer avenues to release GN'R music than CD's and looking for Wal-Mart to do exclusive releases. That is so yesterday. Whether it's the next new Guns album or it's a full-fledged reunion, it needs to be rolled out next time in modern, current, 2013-way, and not something that makes them all look like disinterested old fogies stuck in 1991, or 2001, respectively.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl has been a lighnting rod for years and still is...do agree that he needs to embrace the new industry a bit more. Axl is Eddie Van Halen in a way,,,,vault loaded but seem to have no interest in releasing anything interesting.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I do feel Axl needs to have Team Brazil looking into newer avenues to release GN'R music than CD's and looking for Wal-Mart to do exclusive releases. That is so yesterday. Whether it's the next new Guns album or it's a full-fledged reunion, it needs to be rolled out next time in modern, current, 2013-way, and not something that makes them all look like disinterested old fogies stuck in 1991, or 2001, respectively.

Since I've had a few drinks I'll happily share my idea that I've mulled over every couple of years and still think is a good idea tongue

Guns could launch a website for example gnrvault.com with a simple "guess the password" login screen. Visitors just attempt to guess the password to open the "GNR Vault", which if guessed correctly would give them downloadable goodies (new song, demos, whatever), eg:-

fjkv0j.jpg

Visitors would get x attempts to guess the password correctly daily. They could "buy" more free login attempts by sharing/liking the page through social media (Twitter/Facebook/etc). If the prize were good enough I like to think there are enough GN'R diehards remaining that would use their free password attempts on a daily basis to try and gain the notoriety of being the first fan to get the material, some may even be willing to pay $x for x number of additional daily login attempts.

If the password were near impossible to accurately guess it could give GN'R a long term social media boost as they gradually push fans closer to the correct answer by giving clues etc.

Unfortunately it'll never happen as I doubt GN'R are allowed to openly offer rarities from the vault even if they wanted to due to label issues etc.

Thats my idea for boosting GN'R's online presence anyway cool

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's a decent idea, that would still need some base level promotion on their part, even if it's dropping a few phone calls for e-mails to news outlets. That would help, plus the basic social media virality.

Anything in that vault would have to be pre-approved and cleared by the label for release in that manner. After that I don't see why it wouldn't work. It'd be a great grassroots route to hype... but a poor money maker, and ultimately Uni would bury it because of it.

They're still blackmaling Axl on the reunion as far as i'm concerned. The thing is... he should've gave in years ago. They beat him long ago.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I see it the other way.

Who is winning? What is uni getting other than the devaluation of the back catalogue of one of the greatest bands in history?

Meanwhile Axl can just play private shows for a million dollars a hit.

Sure he can't release music...but who says he even wants to...and it could always leak *again* if he started getting antsy that he'd die and it would be lost....

Bottom line...while hardcores want GNR to be a functional band...Axl can earn a living as a greatest hits tribute show....and make millions doing it....while UNI isn't getting shit out of it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I think will's idea is cool.

I could also see GNR having a paid members area...where the band does chats, streams private gigs, maybe Axl pops on and randomly bullshits about stuff....if they ever did work out the vault situation...then release stuff only to members.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ I see it the other way.

Who is winning? What is uni getting other than the devaluation of the back catalogue of one of the greatest bands in history?

Meanwhile Axl can just play private shows for a million dollars a hit.

Sure he can't release music...but who says he even wants to...and it could always leak *again* if he started getting antsy that he'd die and it would be lost....

Bottom line...while hardcores want GNR to be a functional band...Axl can earn a living as a greatest hits tribute show....and make millions doing it....while UNI isn't getting shit out of it.

True, but Axl is valuing fucking Uni and his fans, over artistic integrity and a purpose for existing musically.

I mean, great he's getting paid and getting revenge, but imo if that's what he's about, than he's a bigger pussy money whore than Slash. He makes Slash look like Kim Thayil, and if that's Axl's game, what a fucking weak sauce move. He's an embarassment, and no different than Bret Michaels. Axl might as well start doing Celeb Apprentice.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It's really hard to say...new material certainly seems important to Slash as he moves forward every 2 years or so.

Axl..well...we don't really know the state of negotiations with the label or his precise rights and obligations under his deal.

We also don't know Axl's attitude to new songs - maybe he likes them - maybe he finds it hard writing - maybe not.

But I wouldn't say it necessarily makes him a money whore (or that Slash is for that matter).

IF the label is blackmailing him - then he's turning down a lot of reunion money - and IF he really does want to pursue a new direction with the new guys and the label is blocking it - and that would show a lot of artistic fortitude that he'd damn himself to being a classic hits live show before giving up his dream of making new records with the new band and going the reunion route.

Bottom line is we just don't really know his motivations or what his situation actually is.

Sky Dog wrote:

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO SHIT....why even speculate? Another shitty website where people can go argue about the same ol' stuff. Yawn Yawn Yawn

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer