You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Guns N' Roses Australian Tour 2013

otto wrote:

Speechless too.
Retirement Tour 2013!

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

honestly, I am speechless...just speechless. No problem with touring all the time. I just can't wrap my brain around why they can't even release a single or an ep....I can't do it. Touring is a lot more work than releasing one fucking song.

touring is the only way to generate cash-flow.
the label don't want what's in the vault, they don't want to release anything unless they get Slash on there somewhere. they don't want to fund a new record.  GnR's hands are tied w/releasing new material: it's either not good enough or non-existent; so the only option to keep the thing afloat & keep axl n his entourage in their malibu mansion, is to play live as often as possible.

i'd say they'd prefer to be a wedding band to millionaire & billionaire assholes but they're making do w/what they got: ordinary punters & ripping off the fans.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

honestly, I am speechless...just speechless. No problem with touring all the time. I just can't wrap my brain around why they can't even release a single or an ep....I can't do it. Touring is a lot more work than releasing one fucking song.

touring is the only way to generate cash-flow.
the label don't want what's in the vault, they don't want to release anything unless they get Slash on there somewhere. they don't want to fund a new record.  GnR's hands are tied w/releasing new material: it's either not good enough or non-existent; so the only option to keep the thing afloat & keep axl n his entourage in their malibu mansion, is to play live as often as possible.

i'd say they'd prefer to be a wedding band to millionaire & billionaire assholes but they're making do w/what they got: ordinary punters & ripping off the fans.

I've been saying this for years...glad to see it's startin gto catch on.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

ZZ Top eh? Interesting I guess.

What's the status of CD in stores outside of the US? Can you get it anywhere or is it nowhere to be found like over here?

Chinese is very easy to obtain here as it just came out in normal record stores...even during the best buy period.

Our Music/DVD/Games/Electronics/TVs market is dominated by a chain of stores called JBHiFi.

JB stocks it as a normal release - it's on the shelf with AFD/UYI in the hard rock section at my local.

Currently about $12.

I'd assume they're marking it as GH because both the 2007 tour and the 2010 used CD in the promotion.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Touring is a lot more work than releasing one fucking song.

Not for those running things. "Management" doesn't work nearly as hard as the guys in the band...

I dunno...while we all have our political views about management and what should happen with the band....I have to give them....there would be some pressure wrangling Axl and keeping him to a schedule that involves travel and fixed timelines.

Not singling out Axl either. I feel sorry for the personal assistant of any famous person in that regard - as basically they're the employee of the star - but at times they have to borderline boss them around to keep shit rolling. I've heard some stories about other celebrities that really made me appreciate the stress of that situation.

Meanwhile I also saw first hand that Del James works his ass off. Went back stage on the Korn/GNR tour here in 2010 and after the show he was accountable for dismantling everything and loading trucks and getting everyone where they needed to be by the right time and so on. It was a like a major military operation moving around a production of the that size. And you can bet your butt if anything wasn't ready or right for the next show he'd get blamed.

So yeah...i think touring is pretty hellish for everyone involved...it's sort of half awesome (seeing the world), and half nightmare (no sleep, timelines, pressure, contingency plans etc).

Logically it's a lot more work than putting out a song. Although psychologically it might not be. Creative process involves a lot of stress for Axl - he'd have to oversee everything, keep to a certain standard, feel inspired etc.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

the label don't want what's in the vault, they don't want to release anything unless they get Slash on there somewhere.

I know people like to push this theory but we don't really know that's the case.

I'm sure the label would love a reunion for the obvious reasons.

But most labels are short term thinkers that are currently bleeding cash and have been for over a decade.

With recording costs mostly already taken care of, a new album could be produced for a very small sum.

Even a shit GNR album will go platinum globally.

How long will they turn down immediate cash flow and free money for the promise of theoretical money that might never come to pass (and looks very likely not to after HOF) - especially when they could easy renegotiate and get both. Axl could always grant them first option at a reunion album - considering he plans to never make one it wouldn't matter.

Sure in the past labels have bullied bands like Motley into reunions. But that was before the industry changed.

The label has like fuck all power now. All the money is with touring.

So at some point - the immediate cash-cow of chinese 2 (which again - even if SHIT would outsell most of their midlevel bands) would begin to look like a good idea to them.

johndivney wrote:

The label has power. It has Axl & the name under contract.

The potential value of CD/the vault obv isn't worth their hassle. They're estranged from Axl/GnR & the material isn't strong enough for the label to want to change that relationship. The label & music industry aren't holding out hope or hype for a new GnR album to deliver them a payday.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I see what you are saying but that's very little leverage in today's market.

The gamble is entiely against the label.

Look at it like this:

Label can try to hold GNR randsom to it's contract to force a reunion. That process might take another decade. In that time they make ZERO from holding that option. All the while the rest of their business hemorages money. Even if they succeed in pushing Axl into it - there's no guarentee the other parties would agree (although they probably would) and then as you said...they're potentially dealing with reduced demand by 2023 or whenever they play this trump card - both from age and whatever "damage" the current band does to the legacy with 1000 classic hits shows before then.

Alternatively they can pocket a quick buck now - and if they're clever - renegotiate to protect their reunion "first rights" too. The world isn't waiting for CD2 - but it will still outpeform mid card things they take a gamble on - so it's easy money for the label.

So if you're the label it's known fast money now vs an unquantifable potential sum of money at unknown date - with a very strong likely hood of NEVER comming to fruition.

And that's where the power comes in. What leverage is prohibiting GNR recording in the current market place anyway?

All revenue comes from live.

If Axl NEVER recorded as GNR again who stands to loose more from that.

Label will be holding a contract that makes them no money.

While Axl can just play occasional private parties and remain a millionaire.

Touring used to be done to promote an album, which is where people made their money, but now albums are loss leaders to promote a new tour - and it's a method of promotion Axl could do without - if he really needs to promote a new product when classic hits get old - nothing stopping him from just playing new songs live like he did at RIR3 - imagine the excitment when every tour its the hits and new songs. No need to record them really.

In the 1980s they would have had Axl check mate with that recording contract.

But in the modern music industry - they're holding a very weak hand.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah but label prob doesnt want the headache and as long as they have axl under contract,  they keep that reunion card\windfall.

If they release new music axl is closer to being a free agent. Labels worse nightmare is an indy gnr reunion release

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I see what you are saying but that's very little leverage in today's market.

The gamble is entiely against the label.

Look at it like this:

Label can try to hold GNR randsom to it's contract to force a reunion. That process might take another decade. In that time they make ZERO from holding that option. All the while the rest of their business hemorages money. Even if they succeed in pushing Axl into it - there's no guarentee the other parties would agree (although they probably would) and then as you said...they're potentially dealing with reduced demand by 2023 or whenever they play this trump card - both from age and whatever "damage" the current band does to the legacy with 1000 classic hits shows before then.

Alternatively they can pocket a quick buck now - and if they're clever - renegotiate to protect their reunion "first rights" too. The world isn't waiting for CD2 - but it will still outpeform mid card things they take a gamble on - so it's easy money for the label.

So if you're the label it's known fast money now vs an unquantifable potential sum of money at unknown date - with a very strong likely hood of NEVER comming to fruition.

And that's where the power comes in. What leverage is prohibiting GNR recording in the current market place anyway?

All revenue comes from live.

If Axl NEVER recorded as GNR again who stands to loose more from that.

Label will be holding a contract that makes them no money.

While Axl can just play occasional private parties and remain a millionaire.

Touring used to be done to promote an album, which is where people made their money, but now albums are loss leaders to promote a new tour - and it's a method of promotion Axl could do without - if he really needs to promote a new product when classic hits get old - nothing stopping him from just playing new songs live like he did at RIR3 - imagine the excitment when every tour its the hits and new songs. No need to record them really.

In the 1980s they would have had Axl check mate with that recording contract.

But in the modern music industry - they're holding a very weak hand.

Yeah but remember CD was a failure and had the mystique curiosity factor. So the next one prob sells half if not less. Not to mention,  who knows whats in the contract.  They may have to pay axl so much up front. I remember motley getting like 8 million or something everytime they decided to do an album. Plus promotion budget etc.

Board footer