You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Notre Dame LB girlfriend death a hoax...

nugdafied wrote:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame says a story about Manti Te'o's girlfriend dying, which he said inspired him to play better as he helped the Fighting Irish get to the Discover BCS National Championship, turned out to be a hoax apparently perpetrated against the linebacker.

The university issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua existing.

The university says Notre Dame coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax. Someone using a fictitious name "apparently ingratiated herself" with Te'o, the school said, then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had died of leukemia.

The university said "the proper authorities" are investigating a "very cruel deception."

On Sept. 12, Te'o learned his 72-year-old grandmother, Annette Santiago, had died. Te'o said he was told just six hours later that Kekua had lost her battle with leukemia.

After Notre Dame's 20-3 win over Michigan State on Sept. 15, Teo said: "My family and my girlfriend's family have received so much love and support from the Notre Dame family. Michigan State fans showed some love. And it goes to show that people understand that football is just a game, and it's a game that we play, and we have fun doing it. But at the end of the day, what matters is the people who are around you, and family. I appreciate all the love and support that everybody's given my family and my girlfriend's family."

He was asked again about his girlfriend on Jan. 3 prior to the BCS title game, saying: "This team is very special to me, and the guys on it have always been there for me, through the good times and the bad times. I rarely have a quiet time to myself because I always have somebody calling me, asking, 'Do you want to go to the movies?' Coach is always calling me asking me, 'Are you OK? Do you need anything?' "

Friends and relatives of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a high school classmate of Te'o, told Deadspin they believe he created Lennay Kekua. Kekua does not have a death certificate, Deadspin reported. Stanford, where she reportedly went to school, has no record of anybody by that name.

According to Deadspin, the only photos that have been found online that identified Kekua are actually pictures of another 22-year-old woman. That woman, not named in the report, told Deadspin one of those photos likely was shared by Tuiasosopo.

A Notre Dame source told ESPN that Te'o was vetted heavily when the school learned in December that Kekua was a hoax, and said he believes Te'o was not involved. But a friend of Tuiasosopo told Deadspin he was "80 percent sure" that Te'o participated and did so with publicity in mind.

According to the Deadspin report, Te'o and Tuiasosopo have been in contact via Twitter, including exchanging several friendly messages last summer.

Te'o issued a statement Wednesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Te'o was a Heisman Trophy finalist, finishing second in the voting, and leading Notre Dame to its first appearance in the BCS championship.

In an interview with ESPN for "College GameDay" on Oct. 2, Te'o said that Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

Te'o is training in preparation for the NFL draft at the IMG Institute in Bradenton, Fla. He is No. 8 on Mel Kiper's latest draft board.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto … ently-hoax

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Here's the original story with a lot of stuff that really can't be repudiated by Notre Dame or Te'o.  Really, this boggles the mind how ND is actually expecting most rational people to believe their spin.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- … -is-a-hoax

Keep it mind this is the same University that covered up a rape of a coed by a football player (eventually the rape victim committed suicide).

Interested to see how far he falls on draft day.  Thank god my team won't be taking him in Round 1.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

385326_10100451005064262_1204277287_n.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Sounds like he might slip from a top 5 pick to a second rounder. Shame.

Maybe I'm getting old, but he's a young guy. We do stupid things at that age and can get talked into even stupider things.

Sky Dog wrote:

he'll be a second rounder because Alabama made him in to a little bitch...he couldn't handle MAN BALL.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I wonder if I could use this to get sympathy pussy...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Just one more reason for Manti Te'o to be jealous of the SEC. Lost the Heisman, Lost the National Championship, lost the...... "girl"?

BAytUfYCQAACqqB.jpg:large

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

he'll be a second rounder because Alabama made him in to a little bitch...he couldn't handle MAN BALL.

It certainly hasn't been a great start of the year for Manti.  He looked pretty bad against Bama, but now he looks even worse.  I don't know how he digs himself out of this mess.  Granted some team will take a chance on him in the NFL and if he plays well enough, this MAY be forgotten.  Or at least, he'll be forgiven.  But it certainly isn't going to be easy.  This story has so many layers, and they're ALL hard to believe.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

This is old, obviously.  But I thought about it the other day for some reason and laughed.  Better late than never.

ND_angle-NAVY1-480x480.jpg

Board footer