You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Dropping the Needle Podcast with Alan Niven

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Other than Axl, who has gone on record in his defense?

Marc Cantor? I think he seemed to be the most unbiased, imo.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Cantor is now banished from Axl over his comments.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Since when did biased become lies?

Alan is on speaking terms with both Slash and Izzy, of course he's going to give them a pass. So when Slash says he's willing to bend over for money he doesn't rip him. When the heart and soul of GN'R leaves the band in the middle of a tour that's just understandable. When Slash steals and lies in his late 40's and has jeopardized his professional relationship through excessive drug use, he's still a loving, caring family man.

But when Axl does something he calls him a narcissist who should "get over it". When he takes the band in a different direction with the Illusions "he's ruining GN'R music" (despite every hard core fan loving those albums). When Steven gets fired for being a junkie by the other junkies, the clean guy who is the only one to visit him and give support "is all about his ego". When he fronts the bill for Doug Goldstein the only asshole is Axl, not the rest of the band. When the lead singer of THE band at the time has issues with the manager splitting his time with a lesser, inferior band he's an egomaniac bent on total control.

Is Axl an unstable guy who has done a lot of crazy shit over the years? Yes. Is he the only asshole in the old band? No, so stop acting like he was. Like it or not, he was elemental in making their debut a 50 million smash hit. He was elemental in the follow ups selling almost the same combined. Ie. he was elemental in Alan's severance package being 2 mill instead of 200k (random numbers). How about showing some of the respect you demand of him?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Is Axl an unstable guy who has done a lot of crazy shit over the years? Yes. Is he the only asshole in the old band? No, so stop acting like he was. Like it or not, he was elemental in making their debut a 50 million smash hit. He was elemental in the follow ups selling almost the same combined. Ie. he was elemental in Alan's severance package being 2 mill instead of 200k (random numbers). How about showing some of the respect you demand of him?

Exactly.  I'm not saying Axl is an angel.  But Alan paints him to be the devil as far as I'm concerned.  I'm willing to bet, Axl made him a few dollars along the way.  Yet, the venom seems to spew quite freely.  I get it.  If things happened differently, Alan would be a lot richer.  Sorry Alan, it didn't happen that way.  You can cry about it all you want.  Blame Axl all you want.  Make him out to be some crazy lunatic.  Many others have gone that route, why not pile on? 

It just sounds like sour grapes to me, that's all.  Does Alan bring up some valid points?  Absolutely.  He just takes it a little too far for me.  That's all.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe it's true.  Truth isn't piling on.  Talking about it at most a couple times over a 20 year period isn't piling on.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree with Buzz. And for team Axl, if Slash is so bad, why hasn't Duff, Izzy, Adler, or Alan gone after him?  So it is a conspiracy?  For what?  For whom?  For what goal?  To tarnish current GNR?  They don't have to do anything at all to affect what Axl does. I see no motive to back up this intentional piling on.  Surely over 20 years, one member other Axl would go after Slash. But they haven't. And Slash doesn't even have the GNR name, Axl does. So it's not even a financial motive. It's just bullshit. I do agree Alan shouldn't go after posters, but let him speak his mind. We sure know Del does...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting stuff in this video....

I found it curious that the hosts didn't like the UYI era, most people I know who had AFD then got UYI were also surprised at the sudden introduction of ballads, but most people in my circle ate it up and loved the November Rains / Comas of the Album.

I have a ton of respect for Niven as a manger, as he says, if you look at where the band was prior to meeting him, and then after his involvement, it speaks for itself. Although I do think he says a couple of things that are a bit harsh here - for example calling Axl the "Reverse Dorian Grey" and saying we have the faces we deserve by 40 is pretty mean...then again he's probably also seen a very brutal side of the man, and he does also add in a lot of praise in this video too, his comments on Civil War and the like.

I agree Izzy had a lot of the feel, but then I've never understood why everyone thinks he's the heart and soul of the movement, perhaps in terms of vibe, but realistically to me that band became famous because Slash is a once in a generation player, and Axl was a one in a million front man. As cool as izzy is, take his AFD songs, or his UYI numbers, give them to a stock standard 80s guitarist and a stock standard 80s vocalist and those albums would do nothing. The band might not be the same without Izzy - but it's because Izzy's feeding ideas to the two other geniuses in the band IMO.

polluxlm wrote:

If his job his maximizing the bands earnings he surely should be able to see NR and DC (and their videos) contribution to that.

I didn't get the impression he was anti them making a video, just he felt they were over charged as he was the last person around who demanded answers from Axl, and in general called out people on their BS (including video production teams etc) - and that he felt this had led to Axl being swindled from a number of sources...from the videos to his spiritual helpers and so on.

Board footer