You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy.... Starts Now?

AtariLegend wrote:

(antiMusic) The latest rumor swirling around Guns N' Roses is that the long over-due "Chinese Democracy" is complete and with the label but a new battle has emerged that is causing further delay.

We don't know how much stock to put into third or fourth generation rumors, but the word on the street is that Axl has turned in the CD to Geffen at long last but no release date is in sight because Axl and the label can not agree on the marketing of the album.

Are we closer to Chinese Democracy? We have no idea but we are hopeful. We have yet to hear back with the official denials or "no comment" from the GNR or Geffen camp but we'll keep you posted on what we hear officially or hearsay. Again this is all but rumor at this point , besides rumors are more fun than official news anyway.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/jan/10 … h_CD.shtml

The latest explanation for Chinese Democracy's delay is rumored to be differences between Axl Rose and Geffen on the marketing of the long-awaited Guns n' Roses album. Rose has allegedly turned over the completed record to the label.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily

Eddie Trunk host of "Friday Night Rocks" in NYC on Q104.3 (NYC, NJ, LI, CT) has updated his blog on Guns N' Roses, about the now infamous Chinese Democracy album. Eddie Trunk has posted the following on his blog:

"I hear the new G&R CD is actually done, but the delay in release is not the bands issues but the label. There is so much money tied up in this record that in today's business it will be virtually impossible to be profitable, meaning the label might want to sell it off but can not find a buyer since nobody buys CDs anymore. Problem might not be Axl (rose) this time around and might keep this CD in limbo for more years to come. Hopefully it gets resolved."

"I've heard rumors that maybe the album was finished, and it was actually handed-in, I guess it could be true. I do find it believable that Geffen or Interscope is the one holding back the album. There have been artists on that label whom have had their albums pushed back and delayed for odd reasons. Resulting in many artists leaving the label, so this is nothing new."

Geffen Records or a representative were not immediately available to comment on the report.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upc … eport.html

AtariLegend wrote:

"Chinese Democracy": Is It All Over But The Marketing Plan?

There are 50 Tuesdays left in 2008, which means that there are 50 more chances for all of us to wonder if Chinese Democracy will really, finally be released at some time prior to the impending apocalypse. The latest rumor regarding this years-in-the-making album: It's done! (http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/jan/10 '¦ h_CD.shtml) But Axl Rose and his label don't quite see eye-to-eye on how the album will be marketed, which is leading to further delays. What could the disagreement have stemmed from?

The label's ideas probably went something like this:
'¢ Billboards reading "You know you're curious. CHINESE DEMOCRACY." in 300-point type.
'¢ Lil Wayne remixes of every song on the album to get the "blogger crowd" interested.
'¢ Handing out postcards at Velvet Revolver shows.
'¢ Commemorative dolphin shows at Sea World.

But Axl probably balked at those (even the dolphin one!)--in favor of a genius brainstorm of his own:

Axl: "I need two million dollars for the first video."

Record exec: "No."

But still! 50 Tuesdays left! There's still time, right?

http://idolator.com/343248/chinese-demo … eting-plan

It's a fact!

Classic Rock recently tracked down Beta Lebeis, personal manager of Axl Rose, who confirmed to us that Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy album "was finished before Christmas".

She added: "Everybody knows that."

Lebeis said Axl is currently "in negotiations" with unspecified parties to arrange to album's on-sale date.

However, Classic Rock believes that Chinese Democracy may not be 'released' in the traditional sense - at least not initially.

We suspect that GN'R may follow the Radiohead route of pay-as-you-like downloads. But we stress this has not been confirmed.

Another source close to the GN'R camp also suggested that Chinese Democracy may gain a conventional release in late summer, with a view to it becoming "a big Christmas album".

Stay tuned for the full, unexpurgated story behind Chinese Democracy in the next issue of Classic Rock, on sale on February 6!

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/page … t_s_a_fact

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

This is prolly from that mygnr rumor a month ago 2

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

This is prolly from that mygnr rumor a month ago 2

I don't think so, two different sites don't just start reporting this at the same time... (Antimuic & Rolling Stone)

...And the band + representatives have claimed this for quite a while, but it's only being reported now.

-edit-

I see all the sources are Anti Music, still they do have their own sources...

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I've believed this "rumor" from the start, I don't see what's so hard to grasp. It doesn't mean we're any closer to getting the album.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I see all the sources are Anti Music, still they do have their own sources...

maybe their "sources" decided to check gnr forums for a rumor 16

JonathanvonDoom wrote:

I've believed this "rumor" from the start, I don't see what's so hard to grasp. It doesn't mean we're any closer to getting the album.

cuz why sould axl care how its marketed? i mean they have professionals to market shit...if axl is after anythign i would imagine its a revised contract, managment issues or control of catalogue (so they cant issue another GH

ultimately who gives a crap about 2 weeks of marketing? there is bigger fish to fry

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Well, I think one of the music sites could've plucked this one off mygnr and the other picked it up from the site that did the plucking. 

In any event, Axl may be a lot of things, but a Marketing major he is not.  Leave it up to the pros, sir.  This could be the album of the year and we don't need someone who hasn't released an album in 15 years telling guys who do it everyday how to do it.   A lot has change in the music industry since The Spaghetti Incident and I'm sure Axl isn't the answer to the promotion woes of the music industry.  If he was, he'd have a completely different position at Universal.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I think this is obviously just a rumor that was regurgitated from the community by these sites.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Marketing "pros" usually don't know their head from their ass. I can understand Axl being protective of how something that's clearly meant so much to him and will mean so much to his career is going to ultimately be released. If the record labels knew how to market their properties and take advantage of what little audience they have left, they wouldn't be drowning as fast as they are. Axl may not be a marketing genius, but in our day and age things generally become a hit because we're told they already are. Very rarely does that built-in hype fail, and when it does it's because the property didn't have a chance at commercial success to begin with. People buy the albums they're told to, they like the songs they're supposed to that are played on radio the most often. That's why Nickelback and Daughtry can pull in those numbers. That's why turgid shit like Transformers can gross half a billion. Transformers was a hit before it even opened. Daughtry was a rock star before his first single. If Chinese Democracy is shoved so far up people's fucking ass that it's all they can see, hear, and think of leading up to its release, then it will be a success. Since a Use Your Illusion level of hype can't possibly exist on its own, they need to create one. People are dumb fucks, they'll buy what they're told. VR's label got cocky and didn't think they needed to market Libertad as aggressively as Contraband. Look what happened. There's no reason Libertad wasn't an even bigger hit. And don't say "It didn't really have material for singles, it didn't have a 'Slither'." For Chrissakes, "American Man" could have been the new "Slither," it only takes the right exposure and whoever the label feels they need to dump their money and resources in to push on radio and TV at that time. Clearly VR wasn't the label's priority when Libertad was released. For Geffen as well as for Axl, Chinese Democracy needs to be that priority.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

It's not earth-shattering, but believable. I think this is more than a forum rumor. Rolling Stone has declined in credibility, but not to the point where they come to forums for their reporting. Plus, two places at once saying the same thing is a little odd, dontcha think?

Board footer