You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I thought it was pretty good.  Not mindblowing, but pretty good.  Had a few moments of the choppiness I enjoy that Slash used to play with too.  Still, he's playing over someone else's song...hardly a testimony to his songwriting skills (unless it turns out he wrote it).  If that's what Matt and Axl heard the first time, I can see where they would have seen a fit.

I always thought his choppiness was somewhat similar to Slash (just more out there) which is probably why he does a good job on SCOM. That solo is choppy in a very good way (by both players).

He did write the This I Love solo though. Don't know about you, but I think that's a great solo. Maybe not absolute Slash level (only BH can do that) but more than good enough, and definitely not ordinary (like maybe you'd expect from a Fortus or DJ).

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

Just based out of curiosity shouldn't this thread be in the ex gunners thread. I mean let's be honest if someone had started a Bring Back Slash thread they'd be told to fuck off, the thread would be moved or locked and the person who started it would be accused of trolling and hating the new band.

I guess I'm just seeing some real inconsistencys here and to be honest I do find it annoying that it's perfectly acceptable to discuss bringing Robin back but the idea of classic GnR memebers returning is relegated to another thread and anyone who likes the iea of Slsh returning is living in the past. I guess it's the principle of it all.  Epecially after the topic of some of us being too negative towards the new band a month ago and yet here we are with members of the board openly saying it's time to reunite Guns N' Roses..... but only the 2002 version cause that's ok.

I have to think I'm not the only one who has noticed this and is scratching their head a bit.

If you're not the only one you sure as hell are in a tiny minority. If you don't see the difference between creating a totally arbitrary Slash reunion thread and having a discussion about Robin possibly returning since he's currently out of steady work for the foreseeable future, then I don't know what to tell you.

But I'll tell you this, if the situation should ever arise where the return of Slash becomes even a remote possibility, feel free. Hell, you want to create a thread saying this new band doesn't work and should reunite (grounded in at least some form of fresh argument) feel absolutely free.

Have to agree with polluxlm here.  It's quite different to speculate on Robin returning to Guns when he's no longer taking part in his previous venture.  If Slash all of a sudden stopped touring with Myles, then let the conspiracies fly.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't for a minute think Robin is returning.  But the speculation is far more warranted at this point due to current events.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

When was the last time he was actually involved with NIN?  It's not like he's been part of them either for some time now.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Has there even been a NIN since Robin? At least for me I always assumed he was holding up for whatever NIN would do next, and now that that is confirmed not to happen it could open up a return to GN'R.

Don't know if I'm right about the NIN thing though.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

When was the last time he was actually involved with NIN?  It's not like he's been part of them either for some time now.

True, they had gone on hiatus so this rumor could've been out there for some time now.  And I'm sure it was, back when that announcement was made.  But, since THIS announcement was just made about a reformed NIN sans Robin, the issue comes to the forefront again.  Seems logical to me.  Just as prior to Slash going solo, the VR saga dragging on, people were speculating that he was holding out hope for a reunion.  Similar in a way.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

No, I don't mind the speculation...I was just asking.  I can't say I've followed his career with much interest.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I think it's pretty crazy, all this runaway speculation. Axl is perfectly happy with DJ, Robin showed no interest in rejoining GN'R during the five or so years while NIN wasn't touring – now just because they're touring without Robin, that puts a GN'R return on the cards? It's pretty bleedin' tenuous, as much as I'd like to see Finck, Bucket and Brain return.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I think it's pretty crazy, all this runaway speculation. Axl is perfectly happy with DJ, Robin showed no interest in rejoining GN'R during the five or so years while NIN wasn't touring – now just because they're touring without Robin, that puts a GN'R return on the cards? It's pretty bleedin' tenuous, as much as I'd like to see Finck, Bucket and Brain return.

When you put it like that... 16

Things are a little bit different now though. The rumors about Axl not being happy with DJs writing combined with Robin being confirmed to be out of NIN plans for the immediate future. It's quite a stretch for sure, but what the hell else we got to talk about right?

Personally I just like a good debate whatever it is.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Things are a little bit different now though. The rumors about Axl not being happy with DJs writing...

So let me expose my total lack of cross-board knowledge here, but do any of these rumors have even a second or third hand source, other than originating on a message board?

It's like this whole Robin talk- we're just shooting the shit really. There's literally nothing to go on, it doesn't even rise to the level of conjecture- it's just plain old "wouldn't it be cool" (or "NO" depending on your stance.) We're just farting around.

The only reason I ask is, I love shooting the shit and arguing hypotheticals, but it kind of rubs me the wrong way when info we (or another board, shitty article, etc.) talk what-ifs for long enough that we forget none of it has even the tiniest root in reality.

And that's not a challenge to you, by the way. I'm honestly interested if there's ever been a rumor with any basis that Axl doesn't like DJs writing. And not releasing anything doesn't really count to me, since Ax can do that all on his own.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's not a strong rumor for sure. As I remember it came up in connection with the usual "insider stuff" that happens every now and then, so probably not much credibility to it. It's out there though so it's to be expected that people will go with it.

Myself I hope it's not true, but given DJs previous work there might be some truth to it. But in the end it's just shooting the shit with little to no basis, you're totally right about that.

Board footer