You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

I wish he would come back.....for the record....anything (unfortunately, outside of a reunion) is a possibility with that nut...Axl that is!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

But given DJs previous work there might be some truth to it.

Why? Dj is a grammy nominated writer...the last two albums he worked on debuted at #10 and #30 on the billboard charts..

303guhi.png

Dj's said a few times he's worked on song ideas with Axl and that they're working on a new album.

GNR fans often don't like him just because they want Robin or Slash...but musically he's got some pretty strong credentials there.

Also from interviews...there's more to suggest that Axl DOES like DJ's writing over anyone else in the band - as the rest of the band always seems to be in "wait to be phoned up" mode...while DJ talks about exchanging song ideas with Axl.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Why? Dj is a grammy nominated writer...the last two albums he worked on debuted at #10 and #30 on the billboard charts..

Dj's said a few times he's worked on song ideas with Axl and that they're working on a new album.

GNR fans often don't like him just because they want Robin or Slash...but musically he's got some pretty strong credentials there.

Also from interviews...there's more to suggest that Axl DOES like DJ's writing over anyone else in the band - as the rest of the band always seems to be in "wait to be phoned up" mode...while DJ talks about exchanging song ideas with Axl.

Mere chart presence and nominations doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself. Sixx AM is probably good for what it is but I'd be surprised if that is what Axl would like to incorporate into his music. If he's hearing something else I'm not sure what that is. While there's obviously some talent there and the guy has shown some actual writing ability he's not doing anything special. He'd probably be good for a more Slash like approach to a new album, and I think that could be interesting, but I don't quite see where Ron fits into that. Him sharing song ideas with Axl could mean a lot of things. He's got an outgoing personality and has been new to the band, all possible coloring factors for an interview.

How he joined the band is another thing. It was out of necessity and maybe a little bit of urgency (though that might be unlikely when Axl had already decided to sit out the album).  The question becomes if he's genuinely in the band for his creative talents or mainly as a replacement good enough to do a touring job and contribute what and if he can. Until Axl says something about it there will always be speculation, fueled by every year that goes by without an album.

I personally don't believe his abilities in the creative department has anything to do with an album hold up, but with this band you just never know. Axl has wised up on making promises he knows he can't keep and as a consequence is being extremely tight lipped on new material. What happened to the 20+ other songs that was finished back in 06? We know some of the guy's have been contributing parts, but to what end? A completely new album that is now in the usual production limbo or some sort of label cabalery still hoping to force that reunion?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Mere chart presence and nominations doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself.

It doesn't...but I just can't follow the reasoning....DJ has a track record of producing commercially successful music for bands and songs that are fresh but artistically faithful to the sound those bands aim for...and we know that to some extent he's been collaborating with Axl in private....

Meanwhile in 10 years in the band....Axl was only able to finish 1 song that originated from Robin....I'm not saying that to bash robin....i'm just saying...it's not like he's some prolific songwriter that was the force behind inspiring Axl....

polluxlm wrote:

Sixx AM is probably good for what it is but I'd be surprised if that is what Axl would like to incorporate into his music.

There is an argument to say Axl no longer wants to make guitar-rock records and that he's more into synth and orchestral stuff...so he may not want to do a guitar led album DJ might write......but even so....why would this mean he want's robin back? Robin has already played on everything in the vault.....what's he going to add that he hasn't already?

Robin's role would be adding guitar solos to Chris' stuff and not only are there already a glut of guitarists to choose from for this - Robin's already done it years earlier!

Not to mention...in addition to his guitar stuff...DJ also does a lot of protools and computer stuff.....I suspect he'd have a lot more to add to vault ideas at this stage than getting robin back for a third pass at the guitar solos.....

polluxlm wrote:

but I don't quite see where Ron fits into that.

Same way Ron fits into Chinese with Bucket/Robin on there...crazy shred solo from time to time....maybe some fretless or other odd stuff....maybe a little bit of trading lead guitar solos like Bucket/Robin do on the title track of chinese democracy...or for that matter like DJ/Ron do on SCOM these days.....

Until Axl says something about it there will always be speculation, fueled by every year that goes by without an album.

yeah but I'm not holding my breath for Axl to make a statement about writing a new album. He's not that dumb - he knows that will just trigger another "wait" for CD2 in the press which is what he got all the heat for with CD1.

Meanwhile he did say that he'd had his eye on DJ for quite some time before DJ joining and that once his name was in the hat - "the hat disappeared".

Maybe he was only talking about live - but if that's so I still think it's got nothing to do with Robin or DJ..more to do with Axl himself.....the other 20 songs were not finished when Robin was in the band....

If today's era of just touring and not working on an album says that Axl doesn't believe in DJ...then what on earth would the 15 years of vaulting of Robin's contributions and several years of total silence/inactivity say about his belief in Robin?

Sorry but I just can't see a basis for it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It doesn't...but I just can't follow the reasoning....DJ has a track record of producing commercially successful music for bands and songs that are fresh but artistically faithful to the sound those bands aim for...and we know that to some extent he's been collaborating with Axl in private....

Meanwhile in 10 years in the band....Axl was only able to finish 1 song that originated from Robin....I'm not saying that to bash robin....i'm just saying...it's not like he's some prolific songwriter that was the force behind inspiring Axl....

There's not so much a reasoning for the argument, more a forced possibility to explain the lack of an album or to justify DJ bashing.

Robin only wrote one song on the album true, but the main lead guitarist wasn't that prolific either with his three credits. And in reality he wrote a bit more than that. Some of his solos especially are more than crucial enough for him to be considered an important creative member of the band. His one main song also ended up a pretty big gun filling the spot for second single.

Axl's near inability to finish a song has more to do with him than anyone else, you know that.

There is an argument to say Axl no longer wants to make guitar-rock records and that he's more into synth and orchestral stuff...so he may not want to do a guitar led album DJ might write......but even so....why would this mean he want's robin back? Robin has already played on everything in the vault.....what's he going to add that he hasn't already?

Robin's role would be adding guitar solos to Chris' stuff and not only are there already a glut of guitarists to choose from for this - Robin's already done it years earlier!

Not to mention...in addition to his guitar stuff...DJ also does a lot of protools and computer stuff.....I suspect he'd have a lot more to add to vault ideas at this stage than getting robin back for a third pass at the guitar solos.....

If he should want him back at this point in time, which I doubt, I'd guess it would have to do something with wanting to release the vault and have at least one actual creator of that material representing it. The basis for that argument purely comes from the possibility that the Better video was withdrawn because none of the guitarists featured were longer in the band. Writing could be a factor in that unlikely scenario, though I think that too would be a faint one.

Same way Ron fits into Chinese with Bucket/Robin on there...crazy shred solo from time to time....maybe some fretless or other odd stuff....maybe a little bit of trading lead guitar solos like Bucket/Robin do on the title track of chinese democracy...or for that matter like DJ/Ron do on SCOM these days.....

Robin is a lot closer to Buckethead in both style and personality than DJ is to either. They are both avant garde type players, DJ is more of the standard rock n roll craftsman. He could definitely fill a role, but doing so would be a noticeable change. Ron replacing BH on the other hand is a much more natural choice.

yeah but I'm not holding my breath for Axl to make a statement about writing a new album. He's not that dumb - he knows that will just trigger another "wait" for CD2 in the press which is what he got all the heat for with CD1.

Meanwhile he did say that he'd had his eye on DJ for quite some time before DJ joining and that once his name was in the hat - "the hat disappeared".

Maybe he was only talking about live - but if that's so I still think it's got nothing to do with Robin or DJ..more to do with Axl himself.....the other 20 songs were not finished when Robin was in the band....

If today's era of just touring and not working on an album says that Axl doesn't believe in DJ...then what on earth would the 15 years of vaulting of Robin's contributions and several years of total silence/inactivity say about his belief in Robin?

Sorry but I just can't see a basis for it.

We pretty much know the delay wasn't entirely down to not being able to finish, and when it was it was usually concerning Axl's responsibilities. There's not much to say either Robin or BH did a lot of work on that album after 02/03. The biggest changes in the material happens right after Buckethead arrives (and Robin rejoining) as we can clearly surmise from the 99 and 02 demos.

It's the style of DJ, perceived or not, that is the main cause for the speculations. The years without an album (and the random anonymous rumors) simply adds a little bit of credence to it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Thanks for the Robin vid russ...it's late here so I can't play it till morning for sound control issues but I'll check it out then...appreciate the effort.

No problem brother. The solo in question starts at 4:34. For the record, I'm not expecting you to become a huge Robin fan all of a sudden 16 just wanted to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

Hmmm.

Credit where it's due that extra high part he added was actually pretty cool in that version.

To be honest in most of his AFD/UYI stuff the changes me makes grate on my nerves big time, but I'll have to admit I didn't mind that NR version!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Name one great band who don't write their own songs. And no, late Aerosmith definitely doesn't qualify. These days their singer is an american idol judge for christ sake.

Yeah but they should qualify....they have 25 Gold, 18 Platinum and 12 Multi-Platinum records....more than 150 million album sales....and most of that success came after their comeback.....

Also....idol judge or not....steven tyler is one of the absolute greatest frontmen of all time....there's videos of him in his 50s kicking more ass than people in their 20s.....

Anyway....for the record I think Bono is wrong that anyone could make a great album just with $...I think it takes a lot of talent as well...but aerosmith are a kickass band.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Sounds the way it should to me. The best performance comes in most cases from the person who wrote the piece in the first place. Such is the case here.

Board footer