You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

buzzsaw wrote:
ereeper wrote:

This is a no brainer.  Kick DJ out and put Robin back in.  Finck is original and has his own stage presence.  I can do with out the Hulk Hogan hand to ear and fist pounding the heart.  Finck plays with emotion and DJ is trying to sell clothing.  blah

Shitty playing with emotion isn't worth any more than the guy peddling clothes.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:

16 I've never seen so much consistency in my life home boy.

I'll keep reading to see if there's a rebuttal, but this is a pretty major contradiction any way you slice it and it all happened in less than 24 hours.  Pretty hard to claim to be consistent when you aren't even being consistent in a 24 hour window (IMO).

Didn't I just post a youtube clip of all of DJ's recorded solos and say I can't picture Axl singing on any of them? Haven't I given Ron a hard time about his solo wiriting ability? I've always said I'd be open to a GN'R song they wrote, and hoped to be pleasantly surprised, but not expecting much. Made it clear I'm still here because of (mainly) Axl, Tommy and Mother Goose and what they bring.

What did I say last night that was any different? I'm not interested in their music, I'm interested in the vault. Said that many times, along with others here. But I'm open to anything new. Been very clear about that.

If you have me saying something different than I did last night, I'd love to see it.

To me it's just interesting, that's all.  I'm not going to pull an Ali and tell you how you've changed your approach based on the details.  I just think it's interesting, that's all.  I will say this: to me (or imo - whatever makes it clear this is just my opinion) changing the lead guitarist (or both in this case) changes any rock band's sound a great deal; and it seems you agree or you wouldn't prefer one lead group over the other at all...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You don't need to be Ali, those quotes he quoted were about two different thngs.

I said I didn't care about new music from this line up with DJ and Ron, which I've said before. I want the vault. I'd rather have Robin and Bucket back. I have said I'm open to anything new enough times I didn't think I had to say it again. The second was about me having a double standard, which wasn't true.  I'm not bashing the new line up constantly because I'm mad Robin isn't there, I am open to new music. I like Ron personally. I think DJ is a good guy. I don't like their original music. I love Tommy and Mother Goose, and I'm really impressed with how Richard has blossomed, which is why I'm still here. I want them to make great music, but not expecting it.

I absolutely agree with you changing guitarists changes the sound.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I thought that there was a proper credits to the songwriting on Chinese Democracy on the ASCAP website, where Robin where Robin has a helluva a lot song writing credit.

I much prefer Robin's feeling, crab walk and artistic integrity versus a show boating, douche looking DJ Ashba. Sorry but the guy is a joke.

If Robin was such a shitty guitarist why would Axl Rose and Trent Reznor want him?

Wasn't he recommended by Matt Sorum to Axl?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I thought that there was a proper credits to the songwriting on Chinese Democracy on the ASCAP website, where Robin where Robin has a helluva a lot song writing credit.

I much prefer Robin's feeling, crab walk and artistic integrity versus a show boating, douche looking DJ Ashba. Sorry but the guy is a joke.

If Robin was such a shitty guitarist why would Axl Rose and Trent Reznor want him?

Those were appearance credits, not song writing. He still wrote those parts though, just didn't get the credit for the songs as a whole.

Yeah, according to Matt he and Axl went to a club and Matt asked him something like "you like him?", Axl said "yes". Then Matt said "you think he'd be a good partner for Slash?". Axl replied "I think he would be a good replacement for Slash".

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Well, he is a shitty rock guitarist, so I can't rally answer your question in regards to Axl.  I can kind of see NIN, but he's every bit the hack I would have been trying to replace Slash in GnR and I don't pretend to be a professional guitar player.  To date, he's written one more song that has been released than I have, but I've never made a living as a musician (though I guess I was technically a professional musician for one summer when I was a paid percussionist for the city band).

I don't blame the guy...I'd have done the same thing if I were him.  Take the money and run.  You don't have to actually be good at something to be hired to do it; you just have to convince the hiring person you are the person for the job.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

he's every bit the hack I would have been trying to replace Slash in GnR and I don't pretend to be a professional guitar player.

Since when have you and Bono been sharing accounts? 14

But you're right, Robin is no more a rock guitarist than Fernando Alonso is a bus driver.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I love that solo...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I much prefer Robin's feeling, crab walk and artistic integrity versus a show boating, douche looking DJ Ashba.

I'm not sure why but I see DJ's stage presence on stage as role-play a little bit. It's unfair but it seems to be the case. Slash pulls that pose and it seems organic, DJ does it and it seems more posed. Same pose though. I feel like a jerk for saying it but it's the vibe I get...it's something of a simulation. Maybe it's something to do with general charisma or whatever. He looks and acts a certain way - I'm just not 100% sure he's pulling it off all the time.

But Robin's no shoe-in looks wise either. He's often wearing a dress - and you don't know if you'll get his classic rock 2006 look or his alien 2001 appearance.

Playing wise DJ's style seems more suited to the bulk of the set list.

It's getting off topic...but to me there's so much waste in the 3 guitarist mode. Fortus for example has fucking devastating lead chops but hardly gets a look in. Meanwhile with Bucket/Bumble you have one of the most technical players at your disposal most of the time just adding little fills and stuff.

Not his fault...just the set up. Be curious to see what it sounded like with just bumble and fortus trading leads.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

He's not a shitty guitarist. But he is the weakest of the 3 (Fortus, Bumble) in technique and GNR was a guitar based band at one stage so I'd have to question bringing him back over just increasing the other's roles.

The problem with Robin is primarily that his style is not suitable for AFD/UYI tracks and the band often plays them. On the CD stuff he was great...but most of the set isn't CD stuff.

As to why Trent and Axl want him.

Well - for Trent - Robin kicks ass in NiN - it really suits the way he plays . Saw him live a few years back and it was awesome. He's much different in NiN than he is in GNR - the lick based sound they have really suited his style.

As for Axl - well - I think he was hurt by the Slash era and wanted something as far away from Slash as possible.....these days DJ is a slash clone...but if you look at the guys from back then Robin - Bucket - they're very different players to Slash....and that also fits Axl's agenda at the time to make an industrial or otherwise non-slassy-blues-guitar-rock record.

Was a great plan...but considering these days the band is mostly just playing shows of old music...you'd have to question returning to that plan....unless they're going to stop touring and just write some albums...but I don't think that's on the cards.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

Indeed he was. As a replacement for GILBY.

I'd swap Fortus and Robin around if he came back. Have robin play the rhythm parts cos he's got that watchableness. And let him occasionally bust out a rare lead (Better, TIL) - but give all the lead lines in the Slash stuff to Mr Fortus....that would be workable....but Robin playing lead parts while fortus and bumble look on is absurd.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

You make it sound like he's out there butchering classic GN'R stuff with killswitches and random bends. It's his own style no doubt, but the difference is miniscule. He hits the right notes where he should.

Are there guitarists better suited to old gn'r than him? Of course, but Robin was brought in to write new music. His work on the old songs being a little bit off is a minor issue. It's not bad, just different.

Board footer