You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

monkeychow wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I like Robin's solos in Patience and November Rain better than the originals

Do you have a definitive version?

I just typed "November Rain Fink" and got this one on you tube:

For my ears on this one the solo seems a bit of a mess and the only salvageable parts of it are the bits that are clearly from the Slash version.....however maybe this isn't a good example of what you mean. Or is it just that our tastes are different.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not talking about the hack part, talking about "I could do just as good part". That you have said.

But to be fair to buzz, at least he only thinks he can do as good as Robin. You think you can do as good as Axl.

16 who coudln't make a good album with a 10+ million dollar budget, world class musicians at their disposal and 10+ years of free time on their hands  to work with. It's not a stretch to think given the same circumstances I or you or anyone could come up with something just as good as CD.

Not even a stretch? Neither of us can even play the guitar! I mean sure, a group of talented musicians might be able to create something similar with all that, but what the hell is your role going to be in this thing? You're going to sing as good as Axl? Play guitar as good as Buckethead? Come up with lyrics and melodies as good as one of the most successful song writers in history?

I've heard some crazy shit in my time, but damn!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah must say bono I think maybe you're under-rating the song writing aspect a little bit.

To an extent I know what you mean that 10 years and $10m of session guys could make good stuff....but at the same time...Axl writes great lyrics and melodies.

I write songs and none of my songs are as a good as something like Catcher...with $10m I'd be able to polish them so they kicked ass in their own way...but they're only ever going to be the type of song I write.....

I'm sure with the right budget we could make great stuff on the forum...but unless someone where is a freak songwriter I think there's definitely a ceiling effect to how cool it would get.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

He did get better by 2006...but I dunno....I'd be happy to have him on a new album....but his AFD/UYI stuff is just way too patchy for me to want to bring him back as a full time live player in the band. DJ is doing it better than him for the most part and Fortus easily could. So it wouldn't make sense to me.

I can see your problems with him, but would you really take a faithful rendering of the old stuff over new music? I know that's a bit preemptive given we haven't heard what Axl might get out of DJ yet, but for sake of argument let's suppose he is "shit" in that department. Would you still say the same?

From my point of view I hear the Better or first TWAT solo and I think "I want more of that". Of course, it should also be said that I don't even go to gigs (by any band) anymore since I quite frankly find them boring. So to me, as long as he carries it reasonably for the casuals and the media, I don't really care what changes he does to stuff. I've seen em live and I've heard the old songs a thousand times. As long as it's not a catastrophe I'm pretty much "whatever" about what happens in that arena. In fact, these days I'd consider Axl a far greater liability on performing the old stuff.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

To me Axl and Slash were both people with an unusual level of writing talent.

Like you could pay me to play guitar all day. And I'd get really good at guitar. Maybe even get chops like Slash or Bucket. But that doesn't mean I'm going to come up with an AFD worthy riff, or be able to add the emotional solos Slash comes out with that really further the meaning of the songs.

Same with Axl...you can write stuff all day...but not just anyone can write an Estranged or whatever.

Aside from money and time there's a natural talent factor.

It's actually the reason I question guys like Paul Huge being brought in as songwriters. Huge's songs became good because Axl is just that damn good....but essentially here they're taking a normal person's song and polishing it. Where as when Axl polished Slash's song or Slash polished Axl's songs you have one genius adding stuff to the work of another genius.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I can see your problems with him, but would you really take a faithful rendering of the old stuff over new music? I know that's a bit preemptive given we haven't heard what Axl might get out of DJ yet, but for sake of argument let's suppose he is "shit" in that department. Would you still say the same?

Hmmm..

Firstly, while I prefer new music to live shows, it seems the bulk of the bands activity IS playing old music at live shows, so to me it doesn't make sense to re-hire someone who is bad at that UNLESS the focus of the band was to shift entirely onto new music creation. If that was going to happen then sure....but there's nothing to indicate it will sadly.

Secondly, lots of people seem to presume that Axl could get nothing workable out of DJ, but he seems to be a fairly strong and prolific writer  in terms of his Sixx:Am stuff and Motley Stuff. So I think it's a real assumption to think that he wouldn't be able to create something that's suitable for GNR. What the band has lacked since Slash is the rock aspect to go with Axl's ballads. DJ seems to be the solution to create the faster numbers to accompany songs like TWAT. Additionally he's pretty versatile - the motley songs sounded like motley - which sounds different to Sixx...I believe he could make good GNR stuff with Axl. So i don't see the logic in throwing that away before it's tried out.

Thirdly, people forget there IS more robin stuff in the vault. So it's probable whatever else he had to offer we will already hear someday...so unless he's come up with some new genius thing recently..there's no need to bring him back and ruin the potential of DJ and the live show just for more songwriting. There's already a backlog of his stuff to draw upon. He had his time with Axl (twice) and we got Better out of it, and maybe some more in the vault....but it seems like a backwards step to revert to him now....there's nothing to be gained out of it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Not talking about the hack part, talking about "I could do just as good part". That you have said.

But to be fair to buzz, at least he only thinks he can do as good as Robin. You think you can do as good as Axl.

16 who coudln't make a good album with a 10+ million dollar budget, world class musicians at their disposal and 10+ years of free time on their hands  to work with. It's not a stretch to think given the same circumstances I or you or anyone could come up with something just as good as CD.

Not even a stretch? Neither of us can even play the guitar! I mean sure, a group of talented musicians might be able to create something similar with all that, but what the hell is your role going to be in this thing? You're going to sing as good as Axl? Play guitar as good as Buckethead? Come up with lyrics and melodies as good as one of the most successful song writers in history?

I've heard some crazy shit in my time, but damn!

13 fucking years & 13 million dollar budget. Even if you spent the first 5 years learning the guitar and piano from scratch as your full time job you could get to a point where you could come up wth song ideas, melodies, lyrics. You could travel for a year non stop to gain some inspiration for writing and then you've till got seven years to have world class musicians come in and write some killer guitar parts & bounce ideas off you. You coud use computers and syntheizers to create orchestras just as Axl does. Axl doesn't play guitar as good as anyone in his band, he doesn't play drums,  he can't play violins or conduct an orcetsra. It's all synth. Funny that you make it sound as though 'd have to do all those things et Axl doesn't. Axl can fucking sing yes but he's not the only person who can sing and you don't need to sound like Axl Rose to create somthing as good or better. Maybe you and Monkey are right and I'm underestimating the song wrting process but I think maybe you guys are underestimating  how long 13 years is, how much a 13 million dollar budgets actually is and how amazingly benefitial it is to have guys like Bucket and Brain and Richard and Tommy and Paul and Robin and Ron and DJ and Frank and Dizzy and Chris and basically anyone you want as your bandmates.  I'm pretty confident given the same circumstances and same resources I could come up with something as good despite my voice not sounding like Axl Rose's. There's people all over the planet who have created things as good or better than CD. My music collection is full of them nevermind the people who unfortunately we'll never hear from. You make it sound like CD is an unnattainable achievement for all mankind other than Axl.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Just based out of curiosity shouldn't this thread be in the ex gunners thread. I mean let's be honest if someone had started a Bring Back Slash thread they'd be told to fuck off, the thread would be moved or locked and the person who started it would be accused of trolling and hating the new band.

I guess I'm just seeing some real inconsistencys here and to be honest I do find it annoying that it's perfectly acceptable to discuss bringing Robin back but the idea of classic GnR memebers returning is relegated to another thread and anyone who likes the iea of Slsh returning is living in the past. I guess it's the principle of it all.  Epecially after the topic of some of us being too negative towards the new band a month ago and yet here we are with members of the board openly saying it's time to reunite Guns N' Roses..... but only the 2002 version cause that's ok.

I have to think I'm not the only one who has noticed this and is scratching their head a bit.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I didn't even think about that to be honest, plus this has been an entertaining thread.

Board footer