You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Ron says 'Just Forget About A New Record Until It Happens'

slcpunk wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Do a poll, what would you prefer to hear:

1) New album from current line-up
2) New album from vault

I'd want to plump for number 2 because I'm curious. But then again I know Axl would copy n paste to probably remove Bucket for Ron and Robin for Ashba, and it could be the mess that CD turned out to be.

But then again, number 1 would be interesting to hear what these guys could come up with, a more straight ahead grand rock album.

Sadly both options seem rather far fetched at the moment though.

I'd rather hear something from the new band. Anything in the vault is probably sub par IMO.

At this point I wouldn't expect new music for years. Another reason I'm disappointed with Axl's vision for GNR.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I will add this, if Ron wants to make a new GN'R record... Start writing. He doesn't need the entire band there. DJ has been writing stuff for Axl on his own (I think Dizzy and Mother Goose were helping him, not sure, just what I'm assuming from some stuff). That's how Axl rolls. Write some stuff, and he likes it you build from it. No one is stopping Ron from writing for the band.

Yeah, I'd have to think Ron knows that and has done that, but I can't recall him ever saying anything to that effect.  Others have said they have written stuff either on their own or together sans Axl, is Ron not in on that?  Or does he just not consider that working on new GNR music if Axl isn't directly involved? 

Sort of a contradiction in a way.  Ron is saying he's the ONLY one who doesn't bullshit the fans.  Well, I think a better way of putting it is he's not as optimistic as others about new music coming out.  It doesn't mean that new music won't come out eventually, even stuff written in the last few years.  Let's face it, it's up to Axl for the most part.  When he feels new music is ready for release, he'll at least make that attempt.

With that being said, I share Ron's realistic view of things that new music is a long ways away, and that's sad and a little ridiculous.  BUT, instead of texting Axl about wanting to work on new music in Australia, why not come up with a riff or a song idea and present that to him instead?  Would seem like a more effective way of doing things to me.  Especially knowing the way Axl rolls.  IF he hears something that inspires him, maybe the ball would get rolling.  But a simple proposition by text ain't gonna cut it.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

Well this sucks. I was stupidly optimistic about a new album. I thought, "Maybe in the next year or so we'll get new material!" Looks like I was wrong. At least we're getting new Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and a bunch of Zepplin boxsets.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I will add this, if Ron wants to make a new GN'R record... Start writing. He doesn't need the entire band there. DJ has been writing stuff for Axl on his own (I think Dizzy and Mother Goose were helping him, not sure, just what I'm assuming from some stuff). That's how Axl rolls. Write some stuff, and he likes it you build from it. No one is stopping Ron from writing for the band.

Yeah, I'd have to think Ron knows that and has done that, but I can't recall him ever saying anything to that effect.  Others have said they have written stuff either on their own or together sans Axl, is Ron not in on that?  Or does he just not consider that working on new GNR music if Axl isn't directly involved? 

Sort of a contradiction in a way.  Ron is saying he's the ONLY one who doesn't bullshit the fans.  Well, I think a better way of putting it is he's not as optimistic as others about new music coming out.  It doesn't mean that new music won't come out eventually, even stuff written in the last few years.  Let's face it, it's up to Axl for the most part.  When he feels new music is ready for release, he'll at least make that attempt.

With that being said, I share Ron's realistic view of things that new music is a long ways away, and that's sad and a little ridiculous.  BUT, instead of texting Axl about wanting to work on new music in Australia, why not come up with a riff or a song idea and present that to him instead?  Would seem like a more effective way of doing things to me.  Especially knowing the way Axl rolls.  IF he hears something that inspires him, maybe the ball would get rolling.  But a simple proposition by text ain't gonna cut it.

With as open as Ron is, if he would've written something for Axl, he would have said it. He keeps saying over and over he's waiting for them to all get into a room and write... Why? Axl did that once with Robin, Tommy, Mother Goose, Dizzy and Paul, and we really don't know how much was created in the pool house sessions and how much were put together in the studio. It sounds like a lot of the songs were done a piece at a time and given to Axl to look over. Why does it have to be a group effort for Ron? Is that how he writes his solo stuff? Start riffing like DJ, Robin, Bucket and Slash did and take it to Axl and stop waiting around for something to happen.

For me, it's starting to sound like a passive aggressive thing. I'm just going to stand here and when nothing happens I'm going to be frustrated. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand that line of thinking. And I'm starting to understand MSL's stuff about Axl getting annoyed with Ron dismissing the existing CD sessions.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Someone should pose those questions to him during one of his chats down the line.  I'm surprised nobody has to this point. 

It does almost seem like a way of seeing a perceived problem and not doing enough to solve it aside from making suggestions and venting your frustrations.  Actions speak louder than words.  Come up with some song ideas on your own instead of talking about doing so as a group, because that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.  Might as well take an alternative approach that seemingly everyone else has adopted.  Now granted, they haven't had any success either, as none of those "ideas" have seen the light of day.  But at least it seems like they're trying to rectify the situation.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Exactly, and I understand his frustration. But it looks like DJ has been the one leading the charge recently (and Axl has responded positively according to Tommy). Tommy is concentrated in the "ideas" for songs from the CD sessions that have still not been fleshed out or recorded. Dizzy is talking about bouncing ideas off of the other guys. Axl has piano based song ideas. Who knows what Richard has done (shut up james 16 ).

Maybe Ron could send Axl a text, "Here's ten song ideas I want to run by you, what do you think?" instead of, "Dude, when are we going to get together and write?!"

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

misterID wrote:

Exactly, and I understand his frustration. But it looks like DJ has been the one leading the charge recently (and Axl has responded positively according to Tommy). Tommy is concentrated in the "ideas" for songs from the CD sessions that have still not been fleshed out or recorded. Dizzy is talking about bouncing ideas off of the other guys. Axl has piano based song ideas. Who knows what Richard has done (shut up james 16 ).

Maybe Ron could send Axl a text, "Here's ten song ideas I want to run by you, what do you think?" instead of, "Dude, when are we going to get together and write?!"

Sounds like a good approach to me!

johndivney wrote:

Why would Ron write anything for GnR when he's not getting paid to?

Why waste the energy on something that's so up-in-the-air?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Axl has said he doesn't like getting finished guitar songs dumped on him. One reason to write as a group would be to avoid that. If Ron doesn't work with the others it's just going to turn into a Ron song or be very guitar oriented. Maybe Ron wants to work on songs where it's not all about his shredding..but about melodies done by chris and dizzy and with the occasional solo...he can't realistically write those by himself.

It would also be way more organic. Writing and working as a band with chemistry would have led to a lot less of the "cut and paste" criticisms that  are usually levelled at Chinese.

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Axl has said he doesn't like getting finished guitar songs dumped on him. One reason to write as a group would be to avoid that. If Ron doesn't work with the others it's just going to turn into a Ron song or be very guitar oriented. Maybe Ron wants to work on songs where it's not all about his shredding..but about melodies done by chris and dizzy and with the occasional solo...he can't realistically write those by himself.

It would also be way more organic. Writing and working as a band with chemistry would have led to a lot less of the "cut and paste" criticisms that  are usually levelled at Chinese.

DISSY PITMAN IZ GNR

Board footer