You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Hear Chinese Democracy On Vinyl!

RussTCB wrote:

removed

What part of Chinese Democracy would you like to hear on vinyl?

Not Interested 12%
Side A: Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, The Blues 0%
Side B: If The Would, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye 71%
Side C: Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, Sorry, I.R.S. 0%
Side D: Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute 18%
Total votes: 17
buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I chose side b, but only because TWaT is the only song I'm interested in hearing.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

I chose side B for TWAT too, but damn. If it goes far enough, I'd love to hear Sorry and Prostitute.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Wouldn't want you to have to go through all that trouble, Russ. I think i would be cool with some of Side A but I voted Side D because those are in my opinion the best songs on the album. Well..some of my favorites anyway. If it turns out that's alot for you to do, then I'll to any other side the rest of you guys suggest. I'm curious is there a drastic change in the songs on the new version of the vinyl you got recently because you said the original vinyl pressing that was released for CD, the latter sides had alot of problems and only the first side A played the best. If this better quality version you own works great for the latter sides, then that's great.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

RussTCB wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Wouldn't want you to have to go through all that trouble, Russ. I think i would be cool with some of Side A but I voted Side D because those are in my opinion the best songs on the album. Well..some of my favorites anyway. If it turns out that's alot for you to do, then I'll to any other side the rest of you guys suggest. I'm curious is there a drastic change in the songs on the new version of the vinyl you got recently because you said the original vinyl pressing that was released for CD, the latter sides had alot of problems and only the first side A played the best. If this better quality version you own works great for the latter sides, then that's great.

It's not a ton of trouble really. Even so, it would be more of a labor of love. I'm off tomorrow, so if I've got the right RCA cables around the house, I may do which ever side is winning by tomorrow afternoon.

Oh ok sounds like a plan! smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing some reviews on how much different/better the sound is probably before I tried it out myself.  But if I was going to choose, I'd go with side B I suppose.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I voted side B  - that's 3 amazing Axl performances in a row.

Very cool of you to want to share with us Russ....unfortunately....while I truly appreciate the thought and effort...I'm not sure that technologically this can work.

My understanding is the benefits of vinyl are connected to the fact that it's an analogue signal...and thus a fuller representation of the sound wave that digital signals which are "snap shots" of the wave according to the sample rate and bit depth etc

So when you record it to a WAV....you will be turning the analogue sound into a digital signal...and thus limiting it by whatever settings you've programmed for the conversion...and more likely....the max-performance quality of the sound card on your PC where you rip it....

It might end up sounding different from the CD, because the CD was mastered for a digital format, while your version will be something that was mastered to be played on analogue now converted on amateur equipment to be digital, so it could be interesting to hear the difference, but I'm not sure that the files created will be an accurate rendition of the same thing you hear when you play the vinyl up live in a room...it's more like creating a 3rd version technologically speaking.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

It depends on the codec. PCM WAV is lossless. He could also create ogg files. I think that you're right that in some way it would be a "third version", but that it'll be pretty damn close if done right.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Think we're talking about different things Smoke.

PCM WAV is a lossless format in the digital sense that it's not a lossy compression format like Mp3.

However at some point you've still had to create a WAV - which means you're sampling an analogue signal - and that inherently leads to some digital specs that are going to be a loss compared to the analogue wav form.

So the question becomes what sampling rate is his computer capable of and how does that relate to analogue even if you're then saving to a file that looses no data like FLAC or WAV.

I'd guess Russ's sound card and software would probably do standard CD sample rates of 16 bit / 44.1 kHz if it's just regular gear.

But do you see - as soon as you record with gear that samples like that you just turned your analogue vinyl source into a CD.

Maybe if he has highend gear and sampled at some incredible rate like 24 bit 192 kHz that blu-ray is capable of - but you'd be ending up with Blu-ray size files and there would still be questions about the quality of the hardware used in the conversion.

Board footer