You are not logged in. Please register or login.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

Re: Hear Chinese Democracy On Vinyl!

smoke wrote:

OK I think I'm following you now- I didn't realize that there was loss in the sampling regardless of the output type.

What part of Chinese Democracy would you like to hear on vinyl?

Not Interested 12%
Side A: Chinese Democracy, Shackler's Revenge, Better, The Blues 0%
Side B: If The Would, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye 71%
Side C: Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, Sorry, I.R.S. 0%
Side D: Madagascar, This I Love, Prostitute 18%
Total votes: 17
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What i deeply wish would happen would be that now we have digital distribution available...studios could move away from the limitations of CD sample/bit rates and embrace higher definition recording.

Most of the limitations of digital that make people prefer vinyl occur because those specs were chosen to work with compact disc etc....but now you could receive massive digital files on USB, blu ray, or even download it's possible to record digitally in forms that would be far superior to vinyl - as for all the positives of vinyl that make people stick with it - it also has some nasty limitations of it's own.

Obviously with the MP3 generation theres going to be people who don't care about audio quality, but these high-end  versions could be made available for the audio-geeks like me at a premium...and the kind of people who own high end stereo hardware...and want to dim the lights...sip a whiskey and listen to some really nice sounding records.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting...it's extra wierd on youtube too cos they don't exactly use lossless audio do they...always sounds compressed as hell when I watch anything on there...

Anyway..my theory is it would probably still sound different to the CD...but it's not going to sound like the vinyl does either... as you've still  gone digital...just at a different place in the chain.

I think of it this way:

CD:

Record to tape > Sampling to digital > mastering for CD > Playing digital CD > your ears

Vinyl:

Record to tape  > Mastering for Vinyl > Playback analogue vinyl > your ears

Vinyl Version:

Record to tape  > Mastering for Vinyl > Playback analogue Vinyl > Sampling to digital >playback digital file > your ears.

So because it was mastered a different way and at a different point in the chain I expect there would be obvious audio differences....but I dispute that it's really the same as what you'd hear listening to the vinyl naturally..as that final pass to digital would alter the sound.

Unless I'm wrong in some way and someone else can chime in...but that's the only way it makes sense to me...surely when you plug the RCA leads into audacity...audacity is then using your sound card to sample it (probably at CD rates) to make the wav file.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

That said I'd be interested to hear it anyway just to hear the difference....just don't think it's going to mean I can avoid one day getting the vinyl version... wink

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

That makes sense. The vinyl is supposed to be an imagine of the original sound wave, if your converting that to digital at a bit rate higher than the average CD (16 bit), than you should get a better sound quality than the CD. The higher the bit rate, the less sound will be lost.  So if YouTube allows for HD audio, and your equipment can record at a higher bit rate, I think it could work.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

You might be able to convert the analog recording to a DVD quality recording. Not completely loss less, but much better than the CD.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I picked side B because it would be interesting to hear Catcher since that song has shit going on all over the place.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer