You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Guns N' Roses at du Arena, Abu Dhabi UAE March 28th 2013

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Considering DJ is Robin's replacement, and only ever plays Robin's or Slash's parts live, you can look towards Ron's direction on whether Buckets parts stay or not.

He will butcher Finck`s parts too

Finck is more than capable of butchering his own parts on his own... 14

I`n not a big Finck fan but he`s ten zillion times better guitarist than Mr DJ Fagba ever was and ever will be I`ll take Finck over Cashba any day of the week

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

He will butcher Finck`s parts too

I`n not a big Finck fan but he`s ten zillion times better guitarist than Mr DJ Fagba ever was and ever will be I`ll take Finck over Cashba any day of the week

This is getting funny. I like both guitarists, but DJ hasn't done anything in the league of Robin butchering Slash's solos live like he did when he was in the band... 14

So say what you will about which guitarist you personally prefer, but DJ hasn't butchered anything, and he has much better guitar playing skills than Robin.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

This is getting funny. I like both guitarists, but DJ hasn't done anything in the league of Robin butchering Slash's solos live like he did when he was in the band... 14

So say what you will about which guitarist you personally prefer, but DJ hasn't butchered anything, and he has much better guitar playing skills than Robin.

He has n`t for fuck`s sake Finck added his style to Slash`s solos whether you like his playing or not is another topic Finck was original compared with Cashba the latter is phony Slash knock off, he tries to emulate him so much but fails miserably once again I`m not his big fan Buckethead pisses on them all combined but I`ll take Finck`s "butchered " renditions of old material over cashba`s  "exact " playing any day. Cashba can`t even play TIL and Better solos the way they should be played fun fact

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

DJ mimicking slash on stage is simply giving the audience a taste of what they want.

I agree Robin tried to make the parts "his own", but, I question the wisdom of that when 95% of the show (in his era) was covers of the old band. It has the same appeal to the audience as it would if Myles decided to invent new verses to the songs when he plays GNR covers with Slash. Those guitar solos are part of "how the song goes". Minor changes to suit your style are one thing - but it's not the time to be reinventing the wheel.

As for Chinese 2 - there wasn't a whole lot of "replace the solo" on chinese 1 - many of Bucket's solo's survived (except for 1/2 of Riad) - and the album still came out when Robin was awol...so....I think it's more likely you'll see DJ added to the next recorded rather than replacing people on the next record.  Look at IRS even. It had a robin solo. Then bucket joined and it had both solos. Then Ron joined and they added some outro noodles of his. I'd expect it will mostly go that way.

As for what DJ brings, on a record his appearance and visual slash homage won't matter, and he's a skilled guitarist - he's shown he can write modern yet classic styled rock songs suitable for  Sixx:Am and Motley. (ie: When he writes as Sixx:Am song it suits that band, when he writes for motley it sounds like motley, ergo, his GNR contributions would be styled like GNR). While he maybe doesn't have outright virtuoso chops of a Buckethead or Bumble - neither do most lead guitarists - and you're already going to have bucket and bumble on the record anyway....so I'm sure it's harmless for DJ to add in his own feel to things.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

DJ mimicking slash on stage is simply giving the audience a taste of what they want.

I agree Robin tried to make the parts "his own", but, I question the wisdom of that when 95% of the show (in his era) was covers of the old band.

That was not the original intention. The fact that the album never appeared during Robin's time in the band left everybody a bit cut n' dry. With a new album to illustrate the new Guns sound, people would've been more forthcoming with Robin's take on the old songs, as in the live sound was to be consistent with the new album.

monkeychow wrote:

As for what DJ brings, on a record his appearance and visual slash homage won't matter, and he's a skilled guitarist - he's shown he can write modern yet classic styled rock songs suitable for  Sixx:Am and Motley. (ie: When he writes as Sixx:Am song it suits that band, when he writes for motley it sounds like motley, ergo, his GNR contributions would be styled like GNR). While he maybe doesn't have outright virtuoso chops of a Buckethead or Bumble - neither do most lead guitarists - and you're already going to have bucket and bumble on the record anyway....so I'm sure it's harmless for DJ to add in his own feel to things.

I'd like to see this band get into a room and write songs. The previous (2001) lineup had loads of writing talent. Bucket and Brain in the same band pretty much guarantees you a steady progression of wall-to-wall ideas, many of them delightfully loony, as well as some hard-hitting rock. They could've taken the band anywhere had Axl only let them. This current lineup lacks the comparable merits (sorry Bumble), but they could compensate with a strong group effort.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I`m not slightly interested in music from current lineup I want the rest from Chinese Democracy sessions untouched neck hurts to imagine how Ashba will butcher Buckethead`s work

Considering DJ is Robin's replacement, and only ever plays Robin's or Slash's parts live, you can look towards Ron's direction on whether Buckets parts stay or not.

He plays Buckethead's Sorry solo, too.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree Robin tried to make the parts "his own", but, I question the wisdom of that when 95% of the show (in his era) was covers of the old band. It has the same appeal to the audience as it would if Myles decided to invent new verses to the songs when he plays GNR covers with Slash. Those guitar solos are part of "how the song goes". Minor changes to suit your style are one thing - but it's not the time to be reinventing the wheel.

My beef with Ashba is he always seems to be posturing; it doesn't feel like there's any real emotion in his playing, just a caricature of the appropriate emotion for that moment in the solo filtered through rock poses. Finck pours his all into every note he plays.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I`m not slightly interested in music from current lineup I want the rest from Chinese Democracy sessions untouched neck hurts to imagine how Ashba will butcher Buckethead`s work

He plays Buckethead's Sorry solo, too.

Thanks, forgot about that one. But my point was more that DJ doesn't butcher anything that he's played, like is being implied.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

He has n`t for fuck`s sake Finck added his style to Slash`s solos whether you like his playing or not is another topic Finck was original compared with Cashba the latter is phony Slash knock off, he tries to emulate him so much but fails miserably once again I`m not his big fan Buckethead pisses on them all combined but I`ll take Finck`s "butchered " renditions of old material over cashba`s  "exact " playing any day. Cashba can`t even play TIL and Better solos the way they should be played fun fact

Oh come on, really... DJ Fagba, Cashba...? 10

I've tried to be nice in this thread and steer things back on track with your childish name calling, but come on... really...? 14

Honestly, I think this guy - 21 wipes the fucking floor with all of them, but I see no point in coming into the GN'R section and talking about it in relation to the current band, which we keep getting reminded that we're supposed to be supporting here... right?

Maybe if you hate this current line up so much, don't bother posting here, or instead go into detail about how much you want Robin and Bucket back, over in the ex-members section.

Oh, and guess what, I like Bucket and Robin too. 19

But, it doesn't look like they're coming back any time soon, and having seen GN'R just a few weeks ago live in concert, I have as much faith in this line up as any previous incarnations of the band.
And in response to your "DJ can't play Robin's solos" - to my ears he actually improved Robin's solos in Better and TIL, which I already dug to begin with, and they're anything but "butchered" by DJ.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I ain't shoving it down anyone's throat here as fact, or calling Robin a hack now am I...?

/end rant

Board footer